PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ball never touched the ground

The replay officials never have all the angles and zoom/enhance we see well after the game.

They are limited in time - even thought he do run over from time to time.

Human error is a thing.

Still - they got it wrong. Completely wrong.
are t they supposed to go with call on field then?

This pattern has played out in the past, when the Pats get a favorable call the week before and Twitter goes nuts, the refs the following week feel pressure not to “help” them.

I don't recall what it was ... I want to say a false start? Offside? Some penalty against Minnesota, and the lead official seemed genuinely disappointed announcing it, especially compared to his tone on other calls.

A league of the NFL's stature is worthy of much, much better officiating than most of these buffoons. There are what ... 1, maybe 2, consistently high quality, professional, engaged, well-studied and well-prepared officiating crews in the NFL. A lot of NCAA games have better officials from what I see.

Most of these crews remind of what the replacement officials looked like during the 2012 season. There was a noticeable drop-off in the quality of officiating to the extent that it forced the NFL's hand to negotiate and bring back the usual guys. Once they were back, the quality of officiating improved. Now, the status quo is replacement ref quality.

Not that officiating in the NFL was ever perfect but I do recall it being consistently better, across the board, pre-2016 or so. This really atrocious officiating is a relatively recent development.

I hope the NFL does something to overhaul, revamp, and improve their officiating program.

Last edited:
I don't recall what it was ... I want to say a false start? Offside? Some penalty against Minnesota, and the lead official seemed genuinely disappointed announcing it, especially compared to his tone on other calls.

A league of the NFL's stature is worthy of much, much better officiating than most of these buffoons. There are what ... 1, maybe 2, consistently high quality, professional, engaged, well-studied and well-prepared officiating crews in the NFL. A lot of NCAA games have better officials from what I see.

Most of these crews remind of what the replacement officials looked like during the 2012 season. There was a noticeable drop-off in the quality of officiating to the extent that it forced the NFL's hand to negotiate and bring back the usual guys. Once they were back, the quality of officiating improved. Now, the status quo is replacement ref quality.

Not that officiating in the NFL was ever perfect but I do recall it being consistently better, across the board, pre-2016 or so. This development of really atrocious officiating in a relatively recent development.

I hope the NFL does something to overhaul, revamp, and improve their officiating program.
I rarely complain about officiating, but it was pretty mediocre in this game. Yet I can live with the on field calls being uneven, especially the no calls. The game is faster than ever, there’s a reliance on replay now and you can’t call everything or the game would become a flag fest. But the replay booth total fail reeks of the NFL putting its thumb on the scale and that’s just unacceptable.

Yes, it was a TD. However, the NFL absolutely hates the NE Patriots. Just need to take the Zebras (and replay booth) out of it otherwise they will find a way to screw us over. Nothing will ever change. The NFL will hate the Pats until Bill has long gone - and even then they'll still hate us.

It was a bs reversal, and people saying not to call it out have Stockholm Syndrome.

I call it out when I see it even when it is for other teams why wouldn't we call it out when it goes against the team I am rooting for? E.g., that bizarre non-PI call in the Saints game in 2019.

The worst thing about those announcers on that play was their assumption that a defender lined up on the line of scrimmage looking down the line, somehow wouldn't see a WR flinching at the other end. When any offensive player on the line of scrimmage flinches, most outside edge players looking towards the ball see it, especially if they are standing up at the line.

As I said, the announcers' bias against the Patriots was obvious and annoying. But their citing of the wrong rule for what defines a catch today put a really bad look on it. They justified that atrocious call to the viewers. If they had not done that, it wouldn't be "us vs them" right now. If they had done their jobs right and pointed out that this was a catch by today's rules, these NFL clowns in NY would have been exposed for the frauds they are on national TV.

This pattern has played out in the past, when the Pats get a favorable call the week before and Twitter goes nuts, the refs the following week feel pressure not to “help” them.
Of course last week the Patriots were the recipients of multiple bad calls, including non-holding that killed 2 red zone drives, a non-called OPI, DB holding that kept the last Jets drive alive, no to mention the ridiculous punter flop, the guy wasn't touched.

Generally this advice makes sense esp if it's just 1 or 2 calls, but in this case the reversal cost us 4 points and the blatant missed hold on the TD return cost us another 7, so that's 11 points without any debate. Just incompetent officiating, 11 points, L instead of W. Then the missed Mac facemask likely cost us at least 3 more, though it wasn't as quid pro quo as the other two.

Now there's no doubt that some completely boneheaded plays cost us another 7 points (running into the kicker), probably 3 (or was it 7?) more points when Judon went offside on 3rd & 12, and probably 4 more from the Henry & Mac mistakes at the end of the half.

The mistakes hurt us just as bad, but we're entitled to competent/fair/average officiating. This was way short of that.
I’m more irked by the non-call on the kick return. The second I saw the replay on the Hunter Henry play, I knew it was going to be ruled incomplete.

How long have we all been watching the NFL? You need to survive the ground for it to be a catch. The ball was moving around. It’s a crappy rule but that’s just what it is nowadays.

I’m more irked by the non-call on the kick return. The second I saw the replay on the Hunter Henry play, I knew it was going to be ruled incomplete.

How long have we all been watching the NFL? You need to survive the ground for it to be a catch. The ball was moving around. It’s a crappy rule but that’s just what it is nowadays.

The "survive the ground" criterion was removed from the rulebook in 2018 because it helped the Patriots win against the Steelers:

People are now retroactively applying it, incorrectly, to use it against the Patriots in exactly the circumstance it isn't supposed to apply to. It is utter BS and people have collective amnesia.

On NFL.com, in the story about NFL owners unanimously approving the new catch rule in 2018, the story says this: "The key change to the rule eliminated the 'going-to-the-ground' element of the previous rule."

Here is the rule, as written:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground, and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands, and
(c) after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.
The rule book adds that "movement of the ball does not automatically result in loss of control."

Nowhere in the rulebook is there any mention of surviving the ground. Nowhere does the rulebook state that a player must maintain possession through the ground if he has satisfied the three elements of a catch.

Please provide the photo evidence of it touching the ground? I have not seen any that show it.
The entire video of Henry going to the ground shows the tip of the ball hitting the turf.

Thats the truth. I dont like it anymore than you men.

The entire video of Henry going to the ground shows the tip of the ball hitting the turf.

Thats the truth. I dont like it anymore than you men.
Take a screen shot and show us

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back