PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any Predictions about Upcoming Yanks Series?

patsfanofNC12

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anybody has any thoughts about the upcoming Yanks series?:confused: :confused:

we will sweep them

we will sweep them
I was thinking along those same lines. The pitching match ups are our best vs their best (too bad it wasn't a four game series). I do believe we will launch the Rocket. Wang will be the tough one. It also appears that Big Pappi is getting his groove back. A sweep should pretty much end NY's season.

Continue to win series, that is all we need... predict 2 out of 3.

"ahem...

la La LA LA LA La la"

What's that you ask?

That would be the fat lady warming up:cool:

Ortiz just blasted another one while Jeter sat nursing a knee. Monday the Sox have a day off while the Yankees stay another day in Detroit to possibly fall another game back. We may see the Yankees in double digit games out before long.

New York has more to play for, the series is in New York, and winning the series is a necessity for them and a luxury for Boston. Obviously Boston isn't going to mail the series in, but I think that New York will play better because they have to play better. Sure the pitching matchups favor Boston, but New York still hit Beckett, Matsuzaka and Schilling very hard this season. And those games were in the beginning of the season when most of their offense was slumping.

As long as Boston wins 1 game I'll be happy. If they win just 1 they'll still leave the series with a 6 or 7 game lead (depending on what New York does tomorrow), which is a huge cushion considering the piece of cake schedule Boston has in September. Of course I'd love them to win 2 or 3, but anything more than 1 is a luxury.

We all know that the Sox have the better over all pitching staff, but is there really a pitcher the Yanks aren't going to hit right now? The Sox face Pettite, Clemens and Wang. Wang and Pettite have been prettty good lately, and Clemens might have a great performane because of the big game atmosphere. The Sox bats can't get any hotter than what they were in Chicago so i see them cooling off. I don't see the Sox losing 3 games in a row, so i have the Yanks taking 2 of the 3. The game the Sox win, will be the Yanks bullpen blowing the game, who have been majorly inconsistent through out the season.

...is there really a pitcher the Yanks aren't going to hit right now?

You could have said the same thing about the Sox in 2003. That was the year Bill Muller won the batting title from the seventh spot in the lineup. I don't believe anyone but Pokey Reece started and batted under 300 that season. The 100 year old rule, that good pitching beats good hitting, hasn't been suspended just because the Yankees are trying something out of character this year.

I like the fact that Wednesday's game is Beckett vs. Clemens. Beckett is the best of the six pitchers this weekend and Clemens the worst. Winning that one game retains a fairly insurmountable lead. Thursday's Wang vs Schilling matchup can probably be chalked up to NY right now. Yeah the Sox hit Wang well, but he's pitching at home where he's pretty unbeatable and who knows what to expect from Schilling. If NY wins Tuesday's Daisuke vs. Petitte (sp?) they're still in it, while if Boston wins that game (and then Wednesday's) the division is over.

I expect NY to be hungrier, want it more, etc. but also to be a little weary after flying in late tonight.

I guess the best-case is for Boston to pull out a tough one Tuesday, dominate Wednesday, and hope that NY is dead and defeated on Thursday. A split either way is likely and acceptable. As long as NY doesn't sweep (and Beckett/Clemens makes that unlikely) things are good.

I'll predict NY wins Tues and Thurs with Bos winning Wed and be pleasantly surprised if things go better.

Hungrier maybe, and probably tenser too. While I imagine after a relaxing day off the Sox will be relaxed and not feeling any pressure as they are 8 games up after the Yankees got throttled 16-0 by the Tigers. Now, hurry back to NY guys, the Sox are waiting. I only wish Wake was pitching the first game to really mess with their heads.

8 games up with 32 to play, as much as i like our chances, NY has an awesome offense.. but, our pitching will dominate..

8 games up with 32 to play, as much as i like our chances, NY has an awesome offense.. but, our pitching will dominate..

The Yanks have spent the entire season running up huge scores against lousy pitching, then struggling against good pitching. They've made two pushes this year, one was during interleague and the other was after the break when they had a 29-game streak against sub-.500 teams. That awesome offense is an illusion.

Having said that, I'll be happy if the Sox take one,though I think they take both the Beckett game and the Daisuke game. Just a feeling.

Last edited:
I say sox take two of three

Having said that, I'll be happy if the Sox take one,though I think they take both the Beckett game and the Daisuke game. Just a feeling.

Agreed. Time is the enemy of the Yankees. All the Sox have to do is just play .500 ball over the next 31 games and the Yanks must play .750 to catch them. It's doable but they made their run and that Friday night 3:30 am loss to the Tigers really seem to hurt them....
Having lived thru '78, I like others will wait for the fat lady to sing before getting TOO excited.

Last edited:
I have been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt the entire season, I have really at times even tried to be on his bandwagon, but despite whatever effort I put forth, I am really starting to dislike JD Drew.

I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt considering that his 17 month old son is in a full body cast, but even the sympathy card only goes so far. Fortunately this is about as meaningless as a Yankee series in August can get, so his crapiness isn't really costly.

I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt considering that his 17 month old son is in a full body cast, but even the sympathy card only goes so far. Fortunately this is about as meaningless as a Yankee series in August can get, so his crapiness isn't really costly.

A couple things with that - he was playing poorly long before the ordeal with his son, that can't be used in his defense. According to the Globe, this isn't something that has been going on all season, it was something that caught him and his wife by surprise, and his performance has been consistently weak before and since he has faced that personal problem.

And I don't mean to sound like I don't have sympathy for him and his situation, I certainly do, my brother and his wife just went through something similar - but that's exactly it, they went though something similar and they still had to show up to work and were expected to perform at 100%. No one knew or cared about their situation b/c they don't get paid $15 million a year to play baseball and entertain millions of people.

Even all that aside, I agree, he has not really hurt us, but he hasn't helped us at all. I can only think of one important hit he has made all season, but I can think of plenty of examples like last nite where he blew an opportunity to make a difference. He is just so anti-clutch, so uninspiring and so frustrating to watch.

And this Yanks series isn't completely meaningless - I don't want to face these guys in the postseason, I'd love to hinder their chances at making it there. With a 7 game lead, we have the luxury of delivering such a devastating blow to them, I'd like to do just that.

Last edited:
My guess of 2 of 3 is obviously wrong..

My guess of 2 of 3 is obviously wrong..

It's SOO annoying how they dropped the last two games. I understand that they can't win every game against the Yankees (in facts they usually split most years), but seriously, this year they should be able to beat them. I have just been FURIOUS the last two nights.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back