PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3-3-5 Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots4Ever

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Was just curious,is there any teams in the league that use a base 3-3-5 nickel defense? Ive always thought that it was a pretty cool formation that opens up a few possibilities when it comes to the blitz and pass coverage.I really haven't seen the pats use it much.though with the versatility of our defense I think it would rock,any thoughts?

Patriots4Ever said:
Was just curious,is there any teams in the league that use a base 3-3-5 nickel defense? Ive always thought that it was a pretty cool formation that opens up a few possibilities when it comes to the blitz and pass coverage.I really haven't seen the pats use it much.though with the versatility of our defense I think it would rock,any thoughts?

Doubtful, but a 4-2-5 is used a bit. and one of the safeties is usually cheated up, so it's really not that much different from a 4-3. In your scenario, it's really the same as a 3-4, with a switch in personnel.

Patriots4Ever said:
Not as a base I wouldn't think. We used it alot in the "Big Nickel" in 2002. Used three safeties (Jones-Milloy-Green).

But we only used it because we had a lot of safeties and were weak at LB - WAIT............

spacecrime said:
Not as a base I wouldn't think. We used it alot in the "Big Nickel" in 2002. Used three safeties (Jones-Milloy-Green).

But we only used it because we had a lot of safeties and were weak at LB - WAIT............

That was also our worst year since 2000. I don't see a repeat coming.

3-3-5 doesn't do much for your run defense, you'd need a Herm Edwards or Mike Martz to consider it for a base defense. Even then they'd need to be under the influence.

dryheat44 said:
That was also our worst year since 2000.
Well, if you want to get technical :D

But we did use it under remarkably similar personnel contraints.

We could use Tebuckey as the Big Nickel.

dryheat44 said:
That was also our worst year since 2000. I don't see a repeat coming.

As much as there were issues at LB, the real porblem was the DL, I am guessing the DL won't be a problem (barring catastrophic injuries)
;)

Having moved to the Denver area I get to make myself nauseous every day by turning on sports radio and hearing all of the Bronco banter. (if anyone thinks talk radio in Boston is bad, count your blessings, trust me) .

Anyways, I heard specifically about them practicing the 'big nickel' alignment in TC

Patriots4Ever said:

The problem is that you would lose at least 40lbs on D. That doesn't sound like a lot but it is, when you match that extra nickel back or safety up against a really good run blocking TE. You would hardly need to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST