PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zappe's Stats Through Three Games

No, taking a sack was not the best decision because he had the opportunity to get out of the pocket and throw it away. And he did that. He didn’t throw it away strongly enough. That’s on him. He made the right decision, he just executed it poorly.
No, if you can't make the throw or if you have questions about making the throw you take the sack. He either couldn't make the throw, or didn't realize he had to make it past the los, so that is on him. We are arguing semantics, he messed up on this play, just like getting a flag for delay of game. Doesn't make him a bad player, just doesn't make him perfect yet.

I'm on record saying that we have too few games to evaluate Mac and Zappe, and that Mac and Zappe have been asked to do different things against different teams, and though Mac looked fantastic the middle part of last year, Zappe hasn't had that opportunity yet.

That being said, I think there is a thing Zappe may have that Mac does not, and that is the ability to reset, compactly, get his mechanics right, and throw with a quick release.

It remains to be seen if Zappe can be accurate on long balls, and maybe that's something Mac has over him. But a couple of those plays made by Zappe yesterday might not be made by Mac at all. Doesn't mean he's going to be better than Mac. But there are things you see that make a difference

Before we throw the guy who most of us believed would be our starting QB for many years to come, let’s be happy that at least we can feel comfortable that we have a “backup” QB who is capable of winning NFL games. Recall please that probably 95% of us didn’t feel that way 2 weeks ago. Positive progress correct?

Over the next 3 - 4 weeks we will more than likely know who will be ((if physically sound) the QB who will start most of the remaining games and lead the team to the playoffs (or not).

My guess will be Mac Jones *but* I’ll be a LOT more comfortable knowing we are now in a “Win/Win” situation with his backup now being a capable NFL QB.

I know it's a different position and not a fair comparison, but I'll tell you what the emergence of Zappe reminds me of:

Danny Woodhead.

Why? Because the minute I started watching Woodhead, I knew he was a good football player. And in the case of both players, they were surprisingly good- that WOW factor that you rarely see.

I wasn't a fan of drafting Mac, although I would have taken him if he slid to round 3 or 4. I was concerned about arm strength. So far, he's been much better than I thought he would be. At times, he has looked like the guy- though not consistently. At other times, he has looked like the JAG that I thought he would be. His arm strength is better than I originally thought, BUT- truthfully- he hasn't proven that he can overcome this weakness of his. There are many more chapters to be written in Mac's book; and he'll have many opportunities to prove and/or be a franchise qb. If not for us, than another team. But Mac has never looked as good as Zappe did yesterday. It's time to hand the team to Zappe. He's earned it.

I'm on record saying that we have too few games to evaluate Mac and Zappe, and that Mac and Zappe have been asked to do different things against different teams, and though Mac looked fantastic the middle part of last year, Zappe hasn't had that opportunity yet.

That being said, I think there is a thing Zappe may have that Mac does not, and that is the ability to reset, compactly, get his mechanics right, and throw with a quick release.

It remains to be seen if Zappe can be accurate on long balls, and maybe that's something Mac has over him. But a couple of those plays made by Zappe yesterday might not be made by Mac at all. Doesn't mean he's going to be better than Mac. But there are things you see that make a difference
Agreed. Zappe’s mechanics look much better than Mac’s.

Every indication is there that Zappe is playing the quarterback position at a high level.

It is worth noting that is where Mac Jones has especially struggled this season.

No, if you can't make the throw or if you have questions about making the throw you take the sack. He either couldn't make the throw, or didn't realize he had to make it past the los, so that is on him. We are arguing semantics, he messed up on this play, just like getting a flag for delay of game. Doesn't make him a bad player, just doesn't make him perfect yet.
I think the need to throw it past the sticks wasn’t in his thoughts. This time. Doesn’t mean he should’ve taken a sack. Doesn’t mean he‘s unable to make the throw. Just means he made a rookie mistake. Expect he’ll learn from it and do better next time. If he doesn’t that’s on him. Until then, nbd.

If he is it is because he thinks Mac is better at this stage of his career than Zappe is. Playing crappy teams can give a false sense of how good a team/player is. Bill also looks at what a personel decision does to the team overall.
Yet when Mac beat up the lowly Jets, Jags and Browns last season he was awesome.

There was actual Super Bowl talk and just from Pats homers.
In the end, I hope they end up being the best two qb's evah and we end up trading the lesser of the two for multiple first round draft pics we use to cement the dynasty for the next multiple decades.
Who would be crazy enough to give NE a 1st for either QB?

Funny part of it all is that Zappe might be worth a 1st round pick if keeps getting better.

Is there a place where I can find a video of all his passes yesterday or the completions?

Edit - this will suffice

Agreed. Zappe’s mechanics look much better than Mac’s.
Venecol sums it up.

venecol said:
Mac has a year as an NFL starter & Zappe is a rookie. Their college play is relevant. He shows all the traits that an NFL QB should have: poise, confidence, fast processing, good decisions, protect the ball & accuracy. Zappe is the better passer despite having less experience. That is crystal clear.

You can tell that Zappe is an anticipatory passer like Brady was. Zappe also has touch on screens and short lobs.

You can see how the offense kind of rolls.

Venecol sums it up.

venecol said:
Mac has a year as an NFL starter & Zappe is a rookie. Their college play is relevant. He shows all the traits that an NFL QB should have: poise, confidence, fast processing, good decisions, protect the ball & accuracy. Zappe is the better passer despite having less experience. That is crystal clear.
Yess Zappe has it. :cool:

Happy Jupiler Pro League GIF by KAA Gent

I feel like you know Bill’s wheels are turning. Zappe is doing all the most important things very well and the other stuff can be improved on with time. He’s just doing what the coaches tell him. He’s a moldable lump of clay with no brand or status attached. That’s a one way ticket to The Patriot Way 2.0.
I get that, but that clay will still be wet all season long. I just feel Bill will not rush this kind of decision. He has to know if he benches a healthy Mac in favor of Zappe then he's burning his bridges with Mac. He was ready to do that with Bledsoe, but I don't think he's ready to do that with Mac.

I get that, but that clay will still be wet all season long. I just feel Bill will not rush this kind of decision. He has to know if he benches a healthy Mac in favor of Zappe then he's burning his bridges with Mac. He was ready to do that with Bledsoe, but I don't think he's ready to do that with Mac.
That depends on how Mac plays if he plays like 2021 Mac fine...if he picks up where the 2022 Mac left off he'll be on the bench. I don't think BB will miss a playoffs chance if his Team can get in anything can happen once you're in.

Substitute Lawrence Taylor for Bobby Orr

Its only been 2 starts, but its fun to think about.

Zappe could be a bust. but I cant wait to see him play vs a tough team or see how he reacts playing down 2 scores.

Its only been 2 starts, but its fun to think about.

Zappe could be a bust. but I cant wait to see him play vs a tough team or see how he reacts playing down 2 scores.
Mac say hello to the impossible.:)

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back