PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zappe's Stats Through Three Games

Progressively getting better each game, showing pocket awareness/comfort beyond his years and making the open receiver his go-to receiver. It’s been a fun run so far.
Really wonder how long BB will roll with Zappe over Mac. While the sample size is awfully small, Zappe has better out there.

Progressively getting better each game, showing pocket awareness/comfort beyond his years and making the open receiver his go-to receiver. It’s been a fun run so far.
Pocket awareness is absolutely killer and his fundamentals are good. Finds the open man, he sees the field well. Throws are generally pretty accurate and he has made several different types of throws. Haven’t really seen a true deep shot yet where he needs to move it 40-50 yards in the air that I can think of. But having a guy with great pocket movement, good fundamentals and field vision and solid accuracy/arm can get it done. Long term, would depend on how much mentally he can stack up year over year with reading defenses and manipulating things. I don’t know offhand how sharp he is. Comes off as an intelligent kid in the pressers.

Minus the strip, he does a very good job sensing pressure, moving up, and not giving up on the play. I like the way he keeps his eyes downfield, and several times he sold the scramble only to go to a check-down receiver. Can't fault his confidence - both in himself and the rest of the offense.

I certainly did not expect over 30 attempts and 300 yards (and multiple passing TDs) from Mr Zappe today.
Let Zappe zap!

It seemed the offense worked better when the pass set up the run, not the opposite.

I get it, it's hard to trust the rookie, but that's what I saw.

Pretty much every offensive skill player got their hands on the ball today.

Really balanced offense.

It seemed they trusted him more and more as the game went on.

That CLE dude keeps his foot inbounds and maybe we're all feeling differently, but he didn't.

Pocket awareness is absolutely killer and his fundamentals are good. Finds the open man, he sees the field well. Throws are generally pretty accurate and he has made several different types of throws. Haven’t really seen a true deep shot yet where he needs to move it 40-50 yards in the air that I can think of. But having a guy with great pocket movement, good fundamentals and field vision and solid accuracy/arm can get it done. Long term, would depend on how much mentally he can stack up year over year with reading defenses and manipulating things. I don’t know offhand how sharp he is. Comes off as an intelligent kid in the pressers.
I don't think he can step in the way he has as an "unathletic" rookie QB without being a pretty sharp kid.

I feel like you know Bill’s wheels are turning. Zappe is doing all the most important things very well and the other stuff can be improved on with time. He’s just doing what the coaches tell him. He’s a moldable lump of clay with no brand or status attached. That’s a one way ticket to The Patriot Way 2.0.

I read he’s the only QB ever in the Super Bowl Era (since 1967) to have a 100 (or more) QB rating in each of his first 3 games.
I read that but I think it was first 2 starts.

I believe he had 100 rating vs GB so it stands to reason this might be correct too but without checking facts there could be some anomaly where someone else did it in three games a rookie and didn't start them.

One of the comments Bill made about Zappe last week really stood out to me. He said, (loosely paraphrasing) that Zappe sees what is happening out there correctly. He went on to say that is fairly rare. It stuck with me due to the simplicity yet profundity of it. How often do we see young QB's making incorrect decisions, freezing, or lasering into their primary reads? These all seem to be downstream of not seeing things correctly. Combine that with early Brady-like pocket presence and it is clear we have a player on our hands. I'm beginning to believe he might beat Mac out.

I think it's safe to say Zappe has exceeded all of our expectations.
And I think BB's draft history with QB's has been amazing. Two of his mid round picks started this game. Two others are starters elsewhere. And two are NFL head coaches. Even Danny Etling is still in the league.

20224Bailey Zappe137QB
20211Mac Jones15QB
20194Jarrett Stidham133QB
20187Danny Etling219QB
20163Jacoby Brissett91QB
20142Jimmy Garoppolo62QB
20113Ryan Mallett74QB
20107Zac Robinson250QB
20083Kevin O'Connell94QB
20057Matt Cassel230QB
20036Kliff Kingsbury201QB
20024Rohan Davey117QB
20006Tom Brady199QB

Another stat I saw, 300+ yards, 30+ attempts, 2 TDs and 0 Ints, the only Pat’s QBs to do that are Brady (15 times) and Zappe.

And I think BB's draft history with QB's has been amazing. Two of his mid round picks started this game. Two others are starters elsewhere. And two are NFL head coaches. Even Danny Etling is still in the league.

20224Bailey Zappe137QB
20211Mac Jones15QB
20194Jarrett Stidham133QB
20187Danny Etling219QB
20163Jacoby Brissett91QB
20142Jimmy Garoppolo62QB
20113Ryan Mallett74QB
20107Zac Robinson250QB
20083Kevin O'Connell94QB
20057Matt Cassel230QB
20036Kliff Kingsbury201QB
20024Rohan Davey117QB
20006Tom Brady199QB
QB and Oline are his best positions draftwise. 7 QBs on that list are still in the NFL, 4 of them started Sunday, with only Zappe winning.

Pats started 1-3, now 3-3, same record as the SB teams, as well as GB & TB. Crazy.

In today’s hot takes that aged like milk…. Kontra told me if we let Zappe pass more than 10-15 times we were setting ourselves up to lose.

24/34, 309 yards, 2 TD’s, 118 QB rating.

Keep playing Zappe, we’ve seen enough.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back