PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zackary Bowman, Pats CB draft target, waived by Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, if early returns on Slater hold to form - the BB/SP brilliant label will grow......I think this just proves the inexact science of the NFL Draft.

How does this enhance the "brilliant" label? Their targeted guy gets selected ahead of the Pats, but gets cut by the team that selected him. Now, not every player works/fits for every team, but in they end, they targeted a guy that couldn't make it with the Bears, and had to go with choice number 2. Dumb luck is what it appears to be (proving the inexact science theory anyway)

How does this enhance the "brilliant" label? Their targeted guy gets selected ahead of the Pats, but gets cut by the team that selected him. Now, not every player works/fits for every team, but in they end, they targeted a guy that couldn't make it with the Bears, and had to go with choice number 2. Dumb luck is what it appears to be (proving the inexact science theory anyway)

Again, this logic makes the pick ups of guys like Kelly Washington, Jabar Gaffney, Sam Aiken, Lamont Jordan, Sammie Morris, Junior Seau, John Lynch stupid too.

Just because they targetted a guy who couldn't make it with the Bears doesn't mean that he can't make it here.

It's always about finding a player for your scheme.

Just look at how many Patriots players go to other teams and do far worse. Deion Branch and David Givens, for example.

Again, this logic makes the pick ups of guys like Kelly Washington, Jabar Gaffney, Sam Aiken, Lamont Jordan, Sammie Morris, Junior Seau, John Lynch stupid too.

Just because they targetted a guy who couldn't make it with the Bears doesn't mean that he can't make it here.

It's always about finding a player for your scheme.

Just look at how many Patriots players go to other teams and do far worse. Deion Branch and David Givens, for example.
I acknowledged your point even before you made it. Regardless, I don't see how something that BB had no control over ends up making him look like a genius? He's genius because he didn't even get a chance to select a guy they had targeted AHEAD of the guy they actually picked:confused:

Here is a TFY article on Zachary Bowman:

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=114

I'll go ahead and highlight some of the more interesting quotes...

Q: Then in 2006 you tore your ACL in your left knee, followed by a ruptured patella in your right knee in March of 2007. Can you talk about your mindset following both these injuries?

Zachary Bowman: I was just wondering why do I keep getting hurt, but I realized that there was nothing I could do about it. I play the game hard and at full speed, always going 100% and those things happen in football and you just have to continue to work hard to get back.

Q: The East West Shrine Game is the first chance for NFL teams to interview privately with players, what teams did you interview with and who showed the most interest in you?

Zachary Bowman: I spoke with a lot of teams there, but the New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs and Jacksonville Jaguars talked to me the most and definitely gave me the most attention.

Q: How have you answered questions about your health to NFL scouts and executives after your strong combine performances?

Zachary Bowman: Look at Willis McGahee, Antonio Cromartie, Frank Gore, all three guys have had ACL injuries and they all went on to make it into the NFL and become very good players. I said it before, there is nothing special about their injuries and they made it all the way back, so why can’t I?

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008/nfl_combine_results.cfm?pos=CB

Bowman had a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash, so I guess that answers the question of how well he's recovered from injuries. Also he is 6'0 197 lbs, so not the typical Belichick smurf. Thoughts on this guy? I doubt it would hurt to take a flier on him and see how he might fit into our DB depth.

Last edited:
Well, then, I guess they might keep three rookie CB's. They certainly considered it when making the move to draft a third corner...

This is very true. They had already drafted both Wheatley & Wilhite when they were trying to move up to draft Bowman. Had they succeeded, Bowman might have become a PUPpy or IRed-shirt from the get-go. Now he would have to join the 53, and perhaps BB & Co. don't feel that he is worth one of those spots yet.

My guess is that he clears waivers and joins da Bears' PS.

I believe fgssand made that comment in reference to Slater. If Slater does well, many will chant how brilliant the Pats i.e. BB/SP are w.r.t doing the right research and digging diamonds at the lower rounds.

I believe fgssand made that comment in reference to Slater. If Slater does well, many will chant how brilliant the Pats i.e. BB/SP are w.r.t doing the right research and digging diamonds at the lower rounds.
Exactly, which is why it makes little sense, because apparently, he wasn't their FIRST choice. But sure, being thrown a curve, not getting your targeted guy, but regrouping and getting an equivalent is a nice move.

Zack Bowman made the 53 man roster, but someone had to go since the bears grab a guard. Not fair to Bowman who made the roster. The number one draft pick is out for the season but they didn't want to let him go, so Bowman went. It's our chance to grab him now since we didn't during the draft.

But I don't know yet...rumors going around the Bears want to keep him on PS.

Last edited:
crap just confirmed Zack Bowman on Practice Squad for The Bears...

crap just confirmed Zack Bowman on Practice Squad for The Bears...

The Pats could claim Bowman from the Bear's PS. The player would

have to agree and Bowman would have to remain on the Pats 53

man roster for three games.

8 Pages for this guy..Can you say adam seward 2.0?

well he was the number one cornerback in the nation before getting hurt

I understand, but obviously he's not all that if he got cut. I just think people here are chompin at the bit over potential at the best, but this is a message board. I'm just bustin balls:]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes