PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yeah the defense really sucks but... they come through in clutch moments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding me? The defense benefits from Brady moving the chains constantly and never turning the ball over.

Picture instead of having, ya know, the 8th best offense of ALL TIME (which will probably move to 5th best after Sunday) we had an average offense, that, turned the ball over and had multiple 3 and outs a game.

Every other metric shows that this defense sucks: Yardage, passing yardage, 3rd down %, plays of more than 20 yards, etc.

Then bring that stuff up and make a sound, reasonable argument. The only thing your previous post provided was irony. Even this post is given to grandiose statements that border on foolish; every other metric doesn't show that: TOs, FRs, rushing yardage. The defense is bad and the offense hides some of it, but I have doubts that it's to the extent you think.

It's mind boggling that people still continue to see the silver lining (which is non-existent btw) with this horrendously horrendous defense.

Coming down to a last play so often when we have the number one scoring offense in the league is crazy. Can you imagine the pressure of thinking you need to score a touchdown every time you have the ball? Brady must be going nuts!

It's mind boggling that people still continue to see the silver lining (which is non-existent btw) with this horrendously horrendous defense.

Coming down to a last play so often when we have the number one scoring offense in the league is crazy. Can you imagine the pressure of thinking you need to score a touchdown every time you have the ball? Brady must be going nuts!

There is no seeing a silver lining in calling a clutch, game winning play, a clutch winning play. It is what it is. And it's always great.

And if Brady was going nuts over the challenge, he wouldn't be Brady.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I wonder the same thing myself of how much pressure that must be. But then I realized that's how we think. I really doubt it's how Brady thinks.

Really happy with the W yesterday as any week you get one is tough. That said the one and ONLY good thing to say about the defense is they continue to get turnovers. Fumbles and Interceptions with this offense is worth a lot. Its unfortunte that with the new rules that favor the offense the pats can not seem to adapt like the Texans or Bears have, however, as Green Bay and New Orleans proved you can win a super bowl with an exceptional offense and an oppurtunistic defense, which describes the Patriots right now. The offense put up 37 points yesterday, yes a great deal of that was the Bills shooting themselves in the foot, but that's why they are the Bills.

This week should be a good measuring stick as the surprising Colts are coming to town looking like a playoff team with Luck. I fully expect that he will get tons of yards leading to plenty of the D sucks threads, but I would bet that there will be a mistake or three as well that leads to a Patriot victory. I think we as fans need to accept that is how this team plays and wins games and enjoy them for what they are.

I admit when they failed to punch it into the endzone on that last drive I said in disgust "great we are going to lose by one friggin point AGAIN! I have no faith in this defense" Got admit though, at least it's exciting football.

Re: Yeah the defense really sucks but...

I'm guessing Brady would feel that way even if he had the 49ers' defense. I'm also guessing that's pretty low down on the pressure list considering he's playing in front of 60k screaming fans with 300+lbs guys trying to crush him...

It isn't about silver linings, it's about rationally evaluating the strength(s) and weaknesses. I don't understand how that's mind boggling to you. The defense is bad overall, but it's actually pretty good in some areas. Contrary to what some choose to believe there's a big difference between being bad at everything and being awful at some things and good at others.

The silver lining part was not just about your post. There are way too many people on this board that try to see the good in the defense when there really isn't much.

Regarding Brady; I don't think he used to shout at his team mates as much as he does now and I think that's a direct result of him thinking he needs to be perfect on every possession. The other part I found odd was I don't think I remember Brady having his head down while the defense was trying to stop a last drive. Maybe I just don't remember it but I think it's a result of the poor defense over the last few years.

It looked like Brady was disgusted about the best Offenses in the league getting a first and goal at the 1 yard line and comming up with 3 points when they could have sealed the game. 3 tries to win the game right there and then, without having to rely on Fitzpicks to win it for us. Offense is the last of our problems but they have no right to ***** about our Deffense.

It looked like Brady was disgusted about the best Offenses in the league getting a first and goal at the 1 yard line and comming up with 3 points when they could have sealed the game. 3 tries to win the game right there and then, without having to rely on Fitzpicks to win it for us. Offense is the last of our problems but they have no right to ***** about our Deffense.

I agree. I'm pretty certain Brady doesn't think too much about the things he has no control over during games. People say things like "but the O put up 37, you can't ask much more than that!" etc., but the fact remains that the offense doing well then coming up short when it counts the most (i.e. when they can seal the game) seems to be the Pats' m.o. lately and frankly it sucks. Frustrating that they we're bailing out the D all day, but then couldn't do it when the pressure was turned up the most.

I agree. I'm pretty certain Brady doesn't think too much about the things he has no control over during games. People say things like "but the O put up 37, you can't ask much more than that!" etc., but the fact remains that the offense doing well then coming up short when it counts the most (i.e. when they can seal the game) seems to be the Pats' m.o. lately and frankly it sucks. Frustrating that they we're bailing out the D all day, but then couldn't do it when the pressure was turned up the most.

I'll take a drive for points that gets it to ~2mins remaining. The quicksnap and penalty were annoying as they gave the Bills an extra stoppage and played a major role in keeping the Pats out of the EZ. However this was still one of the better protect the lead drives the Pats have had in a while. They weren't rushing, they weren't simply trying to eat up clock, they took ~30s per snap, they balanced the pass and run, and they got some points. It could've been better, but they did their job on that drive.

I feel bad for Brady and the offense having to play perfect ball and score on every possession because this sieve of a defense can't get off the field.

My expectations coming into the season were to get the defense above the 24th or 25th ranking it had in 2010, which would have been a real mark of improvement. Instead it's barely better than last season and feels even worse with all the close defeats.

I generally hate the 4-3 because pressure is still sporadic and there's no blitzing. The linebackers are too slow and can't cover, the zone coverage in general is soft, and can't get off the field most possessions without penalties.

I was watching Sunday Night Football yesterday when they were discussing the Bear's defense and how all the defenders play the quarterback's eyes. Why in the hell can't we do that!? It's absolutely depressing watching other teams improve while our defense remains mired in mediocrity.

Last edited:
Spikes and to an extent Nink are clutch. We might over-rate the Ds clutchness because of how bad the pass D is.

Not to pick on McCourty,but INTs like that are about as easy as they come,all he had to do was stand and jump for that ball which headed right to him,he handed it well but it wasn't a tough pick,Fitz practically gifted the game away.

That catch was easier than Asante's attempted failed game clinching catch in the SB and James Sanders catch against Peyton Manning at Gillette 2 years ago.

It was easy only because McCourtey's experience told him to be where he was. If he were not there the pass would have been a TD to Chandler on the numbers...

I'm sorry,but "secondary" and "Clutch" should not be used in the same sentence with this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents