PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Getting a look at the Senior Bowl and other pre-draft Bowl games has helped focus my thinking a little before the draft.

Re-sign Talib and Vollmer

Sign Armond Armstead (I'm sold).

Possibly re-sign Welker, Edelman, Arrington, Woodhead in that order depending on cap space available.

Draft

1. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

Just one look at his Senior Bowl practice showed just how explosive a prospect he is. His experience at UCLA playing both DE and DT as well as two gapping should mean that he'll, at least, be of interest to BB. I see him playing LDE in the base package and shifting inside in sub. We're well stocked at LDE but as we spend most of our tie in the sub package, Jones will be playing inside anyway. His explosivity should give us a legitimate penetrative threat inside.

2. Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State

There's plenty of 2nd round WR's that I like but Wheaton combines skill-sets that both satisfy what the Patriots look for from their receivers, but also what they're lacking (deep speed). Not only is Wheaton a threat to go deep, he's got the short area quickness that the Patriots like and he's an accomplished route-runner and catcher. He isn't the biggest or the strongest, but in the Patriots offense, that's what the TE's are for. Wheaton could become the #2 guy alongside Welker earlier rather than later, relegating Lloyd's inability to gain YAC to the Deoin Branch 3rd receiver role.

3. Trade.

I'm trading back here. I'm not going to predict with whom. Suffice to say, I'm looking to pick up a 4th and a couple of 6th round picks by moving around sufficiently....cop out (cough)...

4. Leon McFadden, CB, SDSU

In my view he's the best cover corner in the draft. His lack of ideal height means he doesn't stand out or project that highly but in both zone and man coverage, he's very hard to get open against. Adding McFadden gives us a CB grouping of Talib, Dennard, Mcfadden and possibly Arrington id re-signed. That's some nice depth and means that Dowling could transition to safety if healthy.

6A. Terron Armstead, OT/OG, Arkansas Pine-Bluff

I'm so glad he stood out at Shrine game practices as it means that his incredibly athletic skillset potentially translates to the pros. Of the linemen I've watched so far, only Jon Cooper has quicker feet than Armstead in my eyes. Armstead's 32" arms may mean he moves inside to OG but that's okay. If I can't have Jon Cooper at OG, I'll settle for Dante coaching up this bundle of athletic upside.

6B. Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado

According to NFLDraftScout, the lower end of his predicted 40 time is slightly faster than Gronkowski. He's bigger than both Gronk and Michael Williams who many like as a blocking TE and his athleticism offers serious upside. Any Redzone issues in the playoffs would be easily overcome by having Gronk, Kasa, Ballard lining up in whatever combination. Who needs WR's?

7A Garrett Gilkey, OL, Chadron State

Another small school OL I liked early who's getting more attention now (Senior Bowl invite). "Angry Beast" describes him best. His highlight reel was just a collection of him putting DL's on their backside, this guy knows how to finish blocks.

7B Jake Knott, LB, Iowa State

Knott was one half of an outstanding ILB tandem at Iowa State with AJ Klein until an injury derailed his season. Knott is the pick because he's an excellent coverage LB which is still a hole that needs to be filled.

UFA's

Kapron Lewis-Moore, DL, Notre Dame
Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers
Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn
Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky
John Boyett, FS, Oregon
Mike Catapano, DE, Priceton
Caraun Reed, DT, Princeton
Emory Blake, WR, Auburn
MarQueis Gray, TE, Minnesota
Luke Marquardt, OT, Asuza Pacific
Nik Embernate, OG, San Diego State
DJ Hayden, CB, Houston
Malcolm Bronson, FS, McNeese State
I was going to make a mock but wont anymore, its here!

I'd like to see a safety in there somewhere and im not completely sold on mcfadden(though i had him in my last mock) but other than that, its pretty much what i want.
Very good.

ATippett56 NFL Week 20 Mock Draft Special :D

Note: Subject to change in future weeks (due to NFLDraftScout revised rankings) :eek:

Trade New England Patriots first round draft pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for a second round draft pick (originally from the Oakland Raiders), a fourth round draft pick, and a sixth round draft pick (originally from New England Patriots).

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Order

2nd Round - Jordan Poyer, CB - Oregon State
2nd Round - Bennie Logan, DT - LSU
3rd Round - D.J. Swearinger, FS - South Carolina
4th Round - Brennan Williams, OT - North Carolina
6th Round - Jonathan Cyprien, SS - Florida International
7th Round - Josh Johnson, CB - Purdue
7th Round - Kapron Lewis-Moore, DT - Notre Dame (IR candidate)

Contingencies:

4th Round - Brian Winters, OT - Kent State or Rick Wagner, OT - Wisconsin
6th Round - Earl Wolff, SS - North Carolina State or Rashard Hall, FS - Clemson

Comments:

Jordan Poyer, D.J. Swearinger, Kapron Lewis-Moore were defensive team captains for their respective collegiate football programs.

Sign unrestricted free agent Corey Williams, veteran defensive tackle from the Detriot Lions, to a one year veteran minimum contract with a $25,000 roster bonus and a $25,000 workout bonus. With the aforementioned draft selection and unrestricted free agent signing, the New England Patriots defensive tackles under contract during next season's training camp are denoted below:

Vince Wilfork
Kyle Love
Brandon Deaderick
Myron Pryor
Bennie Logan
Corey Williams (veteran insurance in case of injury)
Marcus Forston (if signed to a reserve/futures contract)

No comment on the Armond Armstead (DT - Toronto Argonauts) situation until the defensive lineman actually signs with a NFL Franchise.

2013 UDFAs (training camp fodder/potential 53 man roster sleepers)

Jordan Rodgers, QB - Vanderbilt
D.J. Harper, RB - Boise State
Zac Stacy, RB - Vanderbilt
Michal Rivera, TE - Tennessee
Ryan Griffin, TE - Connecticut
Keenan Davis, WR - Iowa
Emery Blake, WR - Auburn
Chad Bumphis, WR - Mississippi State
Matt Stankiewitch, OC/OG - Penn State
Chris Barker, OG - Nevada
Tanner Hawkinson, OT - Kansas
Aldrick Fordham, DE - South Carolina
A.J. Francis, DT - Maryland
Jake Knott, OLB - Iowa State
Steve Williams, CB - California
Nigel Malone, CB - Kansas State
Devin Smith, CB - Wisconsin
Melvin White, CB - La.-Lafayette
Brandon Bishop, FS - North Carolina State
Rontez Miles, FS - California (PA)

Note: All 2013 UDFAs currently ranked lower than 254 by NFLDraftScout.
Removed safety Tony Jefferson as a third round draft prospect.

WalterFootball.com: 2013 Senior Bowl Rumor Mill

Another safety prospect that is trending in the opposite direction is Oklahoma safety Tony Jefferson. Scouts are saying that Jefferson has been getting trashed by some of his former coaches for horrible practice habits and a lack of work ethic in the weight room. Jefferson has a lot of physical talent, but it is really going to hurt his draft stock to have former coaches telling NFL teams to pass on him. A couple sources said they wouldn't be surprised if Jefferson has a free fall in the draft from a second-day pick to the third day. It will be really important for Jefferson to test well and interview well at the Combine.

Scorched Earth Hallucination Mock III

Extend

Tom Brady (3 year extension)

Re-sign to long (slightly back loaded) deals

Wes Welker
Sebastian Vollmer
Aqib Talib

Re-sign if the money makes sense

Donald Thomas
Danny Woodhead
Julian Edelman
Michael Hoomanawanui (R)
Kyle Arrington
Dane Fletcher (R)

External FAs

Armond Armstead (CFL)
Kenny Phillips
Brian Hoyer

Draft

Mallett to Cleveland for 6

6 to St. Louis for 16 and 22

16. Ezekiel Ansah, DE BYU

22. Jonathan Cooper, OG UNC

29. Dion Jordan, DE Oregon

61. Robert Woods, WR USC

93. Da’Rick Rogers, WR Tennessee Tech

Round 7. Levine Toilolo, TE Stanford

Round 7. William Campbell, DT Michigan

Extend

Wes Welker
Sebastian Vollmer
Aqib Talib

Donald Thomas
Danny Woodhead
Julian Edelman
Michael Hoomanawanui (R)
Kyle Arrington
Dane Fletcher (R)

External FAs

Armond Armstead (CFL)
Kenny Phillips
Brian Hoyer

Draft

61. Robert Woods, WR USC

Yup, that works.......in Oz :)

Would love that draft. And BTW, it demonstrates the depth there is in this draft. Rogers in the 3rd. Toilolo and Campbell in the 7th.

You can take Armstead out of my mock.

Because they just signed the beast.

Ill keep this short

Sign G Jenning Draft Tavon Austin. Thanks. Bye

You want hallucinations? OK, here goes:

The Offseason:

1. Pats let Welker and Vollmer walk, resign Talib, Edelman, Woodhead. Hopefully they re-sign Kyle Arrington, Marquice Cole, Donald Thomas and Michael Hoomanawanui. They get Dane Fletcher back, and possibly re-sign Tracy White. They trade Steve Gregory for a 2014 mid/late round pick.

2. Pats sign DE/DT Armond Armstead.

3. Pats sign UFA WR Dwayne Bowe to a 5 year deal. They can afford one big signing if Welker and Vollmer both walk, perhaps with a bit of work. The FO decides that they need to shake things up a bit after 3 consecutive years of near misses. The Pats lose Welker's 100 catches a season but get 80 back in Bowe, who is the big, physical WR that they've lacked. Hernandez, Vereen, Woodhead, Edelman and Demps will take up the slack.

4. Pats sign FB Tony Fiammetta to a 2 year deal. The Pats still have Fiammetta's rights, since he missed the 2012 season for personal issues, and he stated that he was excited about rejoining the team for 2013.

5. Lombardi trades the #6 pick to the Pats for Mallett.

6. The Pats sign Matt Cassel to a fairly cheap contract.

7. The Pats trade #6 (1600 points)to St. Louis for #16 and #22 (1780 points).

The Draft:

16. Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina. NFL DraftScout #16. Logan Mankins moves to RG. Solder and Cooper will be a very athletic left side of the line. Connolly moves back to center.

- Pats trade #22 (780 points) to Arizona for #38 and #69 (775 points).

29. DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama. NFL DraftScout #28. Vollmer's replacement. Mankins and Fluker will be a very physical right side of the line.

38. Matt Elam, S, Florida. NFL DraftScout #42. Pats get the physical enforce and playmaker in the secondary that they need. If Elam is gone, Philip Thomas could be an option.

60. Best available WR out of Hunter, Rogers, Patterson, Hopkins, Wood, Wheaton, Patton. A couple should be available. Add one of them to Bowe, Lloyd, Edelman plus the TEs and RBs and the Pats should have good options.

- Pats trade #69 for a 2014 2nd round pick.

- Pats trade #91 (135 points) to Tennessee for #104 and #135 (138 points).

104. DJ Swearinger, FS, South Carolina (NFL DraftScout #128). Rangy safety to pair with Elam and McCourty. Can also play CB.

135. William Campbell, DT, Michigan. (NFL DraftScout #218). Physical tackle with a lot of athleticism and upside, and a frame like Michael Brockers.

The Team:

QB: Brady, Cassel, Kafka
RB: Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Bolden, Demps
FB: Fiammetta
TE: Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ballard, Hoomanawanui
WR: Bowe, Lloyd, Edelman, rookie, Slater
OT: Solder, Fluker, Cannon, Zukevics
OG/C: Mankins, Cooper, Connolly, Wendell, Thomas/McDonald

DT: Wilfork, [Armstead], Love, Deaderick, Pryor/Forston, Campbell
DE: Jones, Armstead, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Francis, Bequette
LB: Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Fletcher, White/Koutouvides
S: McCourty, Elam, Wilson, Swearinger, Ebner
CB: Talib, Dennard, Dowling, Arrington, Cole/Martin/Williams

ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken

That's 56 players, which is a decent starting place.

Pats sign Armond Armstead. That's step 1 of my master plan, and like getting a free 1st or 2nd round pick for this year. Woot! :rocker:

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak
The 6-foot-5, 298-pound Armstead could add a boost to the interior pass rush. Was CFL all-star last season. More info: Patriots work out DL Armstead - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak
The Patriots have signed DT Armond Armstead to a future contract, reports colleague @MikeReiss, per a source

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe
Patriots have signed defensive lineman Armond Armstead, according to a source. Former USC product who spent last season in CFL.

!!!!

ATippett56 NFL Week 20 Revised Mock Draft Special :D

Note: Subject to change in future weeks (due to NFLDraftScout revised rankings) :eek:

Trade New England Patriots first round draft pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for a second round draft pick (originally from the Oakland Raiders), a fourth round draft pick, and a sixth round draft pick (originally from New England Patriots).

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2013.php

2nd Round - Jordan Poyer, CB - Oregon State
2nd Round - Markus Wheaton, WR - Oregon State
3rd Round - D.J. Swearinger, FS - South Carolina
4th Round - Brennan Williams, OT - North Carolina
6th Round - Terron Armstead, OT - Arkansas-Pine Bluff or Garrett Gilkey, OT - Chadron State
7th Round - Josh Johnson, CB - Purdue
7th Round - Kapron Lewis-Moore, DT - Notre Dame (IR candidate)

Comments:

Jordan Poyer, D.J. Swearinger, Kapron Lewis-Moore were defensive team captains for their respective collegiate football programs.

Sign unrestricted free agent Corey Williams, veteran defensive tackle from the Detriot Lions, to a one year veteran minimum contract with a $25,000 roster bonus and a $25,000 workout bonus. With the aforementioned unrestricted free agent signing, the New England Patriots defensive tackles under contract during next season's training camp are denoted below:

Vince Wilfork
Kyle Love
Brandon Deaderick
Myron Pryor
Armond Armstead :D :D :D
Corey Williams (veteran insurance in case of injury)
Marcus Forston (if signed to a reserve/futures contract)

2013 UDFAs (training camp fodder/potential 53 man roster sleepers)

Jordan Rodgers, QB - Vanderbilt
D.J. Harper, RB - Boise State
Zac Stacy, RB - Vanderbilt
Michal Rivera, TE - Tennessee
Ryan Griffin, TE - Connecticut
Keenan Davis, WR - Iowa
Emery Blake, WR - Auburn
Chad Bumphis, WR - Mississippi State
Matt Stankiewitch, OC/OG - Penn State
Chris Barker, OG - Nevada
Tanner Hawkinson, OT - Kansas
Aldrick Fordham, DE - South Carolina
A.J. Francis, DT - Maryland
Jake Knott, OLB - Iowa State
Steve Williams, CB - California
Nigel Malone, CB - Kansas State
Devin Smith, CB - Wisconsin
Melvin White, CB - La.-Lafayette
Brandon Bishop, FS - North Carolina State
Rontez Miles, FS - California (PA)

Note: All 2013 UDFAs currently ranked lower than 254 by NFLDraftScout.

Pats sign Armond Armstead. That's step 1 of my master plan, and like getting a free 1st or 2nd round pick for this year. Woot! :rocker:

Looks like the Scorched Earth Hallucination Mock III is still alive. :)

Can somebody tell me just how good armond armsted is? i have never heard of him until just recently.

I wonder if we'd take D. Milliner with the 6th pick in that trade scenario. Let Talib go then. But, should be able to sign Welker and Vollmer. Making draft defensive heavy.

1. D. Milliner - CB
1. Trade Down - Pick up an extra 3.
2a. Sylvester Williams - DT
2b. Markus Wheaton - WR
3a. Leon McFadden - CB
3b. Brian Winters - OL

Heard we signed Armstead as I'm typing this. Woo-hoo!! By not signing Talib is there a veteran safety out there?

Sign Armond Armstread (if reports are true, CHECK) & Brandon Gibson
Try and Re-sign Vollmer, Edelman, Welker, Talib (Priority in that order)
Let Chung & Arrington Walk
Woodhead, If he agrees to a team friendly deal he is back but if he is looking $$ he'll be gone.

Pats Trade #29 for a 2nd & 4th

2a Jordan Poyer, CB
Poyer-Jordan-Week-6-533x800.jpg

2b David Amerson, CB/S
DavidAmerson.jpg

Mallett & both 7th rounders traded to Browns for 3rd & 4th round pick
3a Da'Rick Rodgers , WR
940x.jpg

3b Leon McFadden, CB
hi-res-151251304_display_image.jpg

4a DJ Swearinger , S/CB
tumblr_mdk9xl9sJA1r2ct63o1_500.jpg

4b DeVonte Holloman, OLB/S
104156528_display_image.jpg

Notable UDFA
Collin Klein, QB
collin-klein-snaps-p1.jpg

Nick Clancy, ILB
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Travis Bond, G
TRAVIS%20BOND.JPG

Mark Harrison, WR
Mark+Harrison+West+Virginia+v+Rutgers+bc4P7b59RMQl.jpg

Extend

Wes Welker
Sebastian Vollmer
Aqib Talib

Donald Thomas
Danny Woodhead
Julian Edelman
Michael Hoomanawanui (R)
Kyle Arrington
Dane Fletcher (R)

External FAs

Armond Armstead (CFL)
Kenny Phillips
Brian Hoyer

Draft

61. Robert Woods, WR USC

Works for me, if it could only happen. I might consider Alec Ogletree as an alternative to Dion Jordan at 29. Love the Kenny Phillips signing.

Can somebody tell me just how good armond armsted is? i have never heard of him until just recently.

Some recent CFL highlights, FWIW:

Armond Armstead 2012 CFL All-Star Highlight Video - YouTube

I've been a fan of Armstead's for several years. I was interested in him back in 2010, and was disappointed when he got a redshirt for 2011. I had hoped the Pats would sign him as a UDFA last May. If we had, things might have turned out differently. I think he's very good. At the very least, I think he's a bigger, stronger, faster, more explosive version of Justin Francis, with more experience and more developed. But I think he'll be better than that.

Think we should start scouting qb's.. Brady doesnt have that much left in the tank.. 3years?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I assume that we're all just indulging ourselves to ease the pain, right? ;) Some idiot who sounds like a 16 year old tweets that the Browns'd have to give us "at least" #6 for Mallett, but then tweets that he has "no clue" what else they'd have to give...and I'm seeing 800 Mocks based on that Crack Fantasy??? Love it!! :rocker:

im loving all these mocks and the enthusiasm right after a tough loss. Does anyone like connor vernon out fo duke hes a pretty good slot receiver and could develop with ebert, edelmen and welker could help mentor him i guess. I love mallett to the browns for the 6 seems like a real possibility. i think at 6 we either go dee miliner or trade back and i love working some magic to go from 5 picks to around 8. glad to see everyone is preparing for next season and getting back to superbowl glory :D

I assume that we're all just indulging ourselves to ease the pain, right? ;) Some idiot who sounds like a 16 year old tweets that the Browns'd have to give us "at least" #6 for Mallett, but then tweets that he has "no clue" what else they'd have to give...and I'm seeing 800 Mocks based on that Crack Fantasy??? Love it!! :rocker:

Bah humbug!

People are just enjoying the fantasy. It's an interesting exercise to wonder what BB would do with a #6 overall. It's not something we have a whole lot of experience with.

And NFLosophy is one of the most informative tweeters out there.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back