PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR solution: Antonio Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you're right. But like I just posted, he had major clashes with his coaches in SF forcing them to cut him and then failed a drug test and those things were just a couple years ago.

Bryant has had an axe to grind most of career. He expected to be drafted by the Steelers and was angry they drafted Santonio Holmes instead. And you're right, he clashed with Nolan over the 4 game suspension and a DUI arrest a few days before their meeting which led to his release by the 49ers.
The guy has talent though. Floyd or Walter may be better choices because of his off-field issues

Tampa Bay couldn't come to a long term agreement with Bryant a year ago, so they felt compelled to franchise him. Even at $9 mil a year, Bryant was not happy with being franchised. His numbers slipped because of injuries (hamstring and back, I believe) from 83/1248 in 2008 to 37/585 in 2009. Between the injuries and three previous stops that ended badly, he may be looking for more than a team like the Pats would want to pay. I wonder how much that college interview would still hurt him now.

As for the Galloway and Bryant comparisons, forget it; Bryant is ten years younger than Galloway among other things.

As disappointing season ends, Antonio Bryant hopes to stay with Tampa Bay Bucs - St. Petersburg Times

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/tag/_/name/antonio-bryant
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/6851/future-uncertain-for-bryant-muhammad
The same probably is not true for Bryant in Tampa Bay. He pretty much has played -- and talked -- his way out of a future with the Bucs.

The team put the franchise tag (nearly $10 million) on Bryant this year because there was uncertainty if he could maintain the level of play he achieved last season. That’s turned out to be the right call because Bryant hasn’t come anywhere close to what he did last season.

Injuries have been a factor. But, even when healthy, Bryant hasn’t done all that much. To make matters worse, he keeps talking and putting the blame on everyone else -- mainly the coaching staff and rookie quarterback Josh Freeman.

That’s not a good idea. Freeman is the franchise and taking repeated shots at him isn’t going to get Bryant a new contract with the Bucs. Fact is, if the current regime stays, Bryant already has sealed his own fate.

The Bucs are committed to getting Freeman all the help they can, and they’ll probably bring in at least two receivers capable of starting. Bryant has made sure he won’t be one of them.

Smith, Bryant on 'worst hands' list - NFC South Blog - ESPN
Carolina’s Steve Smith and Tampa Bay’s Antonio Bryant each made a list of receivers with the lowest catch percentages (compared to number of targets). Smith has never been a guy to drop many passes and that wasn’t a real problem this year. I think his numbers largely are a reflection of quarterback Jake Delhomme's struggles. You can argue that inconsistency at quarterback also played a role in Bryant's spot on this list, but he also dropped way too many catchable passes.

NFC South Team Wrap-ups - NFC South Blog - ESPN
Biggest disappointment: Again, there are plenty of possibilities. But I’m going with receiver Antonio Bryant. He had a huge season last year and the Bucs placed the franchise tag on him. It meant he didn’t get a long-term contract, but it also meant he made about $10 million a season. The basic message from the Bucs was, “go out and show us you can do it one more time and we’ll reward you’’. Instead of doing that, Bryant did little for much of the year and, then, had the nerve to point the blame at just about everyone but himself. Umm, that’s not how you get a long-term deal. Good luck in free agency.

For those that think he has grown up, he is talking his way out of TB, taking shots at his QB, does that seem mature to you? I think he's one of those guys who just doesn't get it.

Bryant only plays well in contract years anyway, he is all about the $, not that theres anything wrong with that. But some team is gonna give him a multi year deal and be burned. He is only worth it if you can get him on a one year deal, and i don't think he's interested in that

Im actually stunned that people want this guy after the well known locker room problems this year, i mean this is a guy that 2 years ago was OUT OF THE LEAGUE because of his problems.

Last edited:
One thing about guys like Floyd and Walter is that do they want to leave a place where they are the #2WR for a spot where they would be the number 3WR.

Why, who do you think is the #2 here next year?
I doubt Wes is gonna play even 1/2 the year, and even if he's a really quick healer, it'll probably be awhile before he has the full range/cutting ability that he had before the injury.
I SERIOUSLY doubt that he's ready- good as new at the beginning of the year, every time I see that(real early return) from a position player, they have issues with water buildup etc, and it's never really right..
I'd bet $ that he's not the same for all of next year, and won't even play 2/3 of it.

So WHO is the #2 next year?
Edleman- I don't think so
Tate- I seriously don't think so

There is a serious need for a quality WR, among other things of course.

Count me in as someone that really doesn't want AB to even drive by the Stadium.

Last edited:
So WHO is the #2 next year?

I think Moss is number 2 and Edelman number 3. That leaves us without a #1 though, not to mention no 4 or 5.

Folks forget that we had FOUR good Wrs in 07, this year we had 2 1/2(the 1/2 was Edleman), and some dead wood like Aiken(awful except ONE great TD catch) and tate(inclonclusive, don't hold your breath waiting for a Rook, especially one with a bad knee).

With Wes gone they have Moss and Edleman, I have zero faith in Aiken or tate, I don't want/team can't have players like Tate and Aiken being asked to play major roles, even Edleman(who looks like a player) may have issues with FT duty.

I don't think AB would be a solution at all, I think he'd be a problem, just like he's been EVERYWHERE else he has landed.

I think Moss is number 2 and Edelman number 3. That leaves us without a #1 though, not to mention no 4 or 5.

Moss is scheduled to make $6.5 mil in new money. If he's not your #1 WR, he's not on the team. So if BB decides Moss is no longer a #1 - which I wouldn't be shocked with - we'd be looking for a #1 and a #2.

Look at the Saints. They have an aerial circus, and part of that circus comes from Robert Meacham and Devery Henderson.

When you have multiple good WRs in a spread offense IN THIS LEAGUE RIGHT NOW, you don't necessarily need a #1. If you have a good QB and OL, you can slice and dice teams with 3 or 4 #2 types, and those guys are ALWAYS available in the draft. I mean, Devery Henderson? This kid was a big time bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft