PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR solution: Antonio Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, no. As of right now Jackson and Marshall are RFAs. If a new CBA gets signed in the next month, which has about a 5% chance of happening (any may keep the 2010 free agent rules), then they become UFAs. But saying that are "UFAs for now" is like saying guilty until proven innocent. I can guarantee you that NO team is operating under the asinine assumption that a new CBA will be reached before FA.

People do know, just completely dismissing what's going to happen in the next two months is short-sighted and just plain stupid.

I thought since Bryant has been in the league 7 seasons he would be a UFA.

Last edited:
Bryant is a quality receiver, but how much of a pay cut would he/his agent likely take. With the franchise tag he made a boatload of money this year, he might think he is still worth that much.

He is. I wrote "Jackson and Marshall."

Anyone think they might take a flyer on Branch once more?

Mohammad can give you another year or two and is one of the best blocking WR. Who would you rather have had at #3 WR in last weeks game. He or Aiken?

Derrick Mason was on their radar for awhile.

Lee Evans? He might be the guy>

Jason Avant. He's buried on the Eagles and he had 41 catches, 3 TDs and over 14 ypc and did not start many games. He is 212 lbs and could be a great #3 guy.

Here is one nobody has thought of who is UFA. Brad Smith. BB wanted him in the Draft. He returns kicks, runs the option and still is young enough to develop into a #3 WR. In 2007 he had 32 receptions and mysteriously now they use him as a RB in the Wildcat and he has 207 yards with an 11.5 YPC. He is 6' 2' and 210lbs. Another border war player.

DW Toys

P.S. They should have spent the money on TJ or Coles instead of Galloway.

Bryant is a quality receiver, but how much of a pay cut would he/his agent likely take. With the franchise tag he made a boatload of money this year, he might think he is still worth that much.

OK, we don't have to pay him franchise tag money, but why not pay him the market rate ? I don't think we can attract the FA like we used to anymore but atleast pay them the market rate.

my 2 cents

i personally dont want a single FA receiveror trade unless its someone like fitz etc which wont happen.
find a wr or two inthe draft..like greg jennings,knicks,dallas clark,wayne.
all teams with good passing game have them from the drafts not trades/FA

Anyone think they might take a flyer on Branch once more?

Mohammad can give you another year or two and is one of the best blocking WR. Who would you rather have had at #3 WR in last weeks game. He or Aiken?

Derrick Mason was on their radar for awhile.

Lee Evans? He might be the guy>

Jason Avant. He's buried on the Eagles and he had 41 catches, 3 TDs and over 14 ypc and did not start many games. He is 212 lbs and could be a great #3 guy.

Here is one nobody has thought of who is UFA. Brad Smith. BB wanted him in the Draft. He returns kicks, runs the option and still is young enough to develop into a #3 WR. In 2007 he had 32 receptions and mysteriously now they use him as a RB in the Wildcat and he has 207 yards with an 11.5 YPC. He is 6' 2' and 210lbs. Another border war player.

DW Toys

P.S. They should have spent the money on TJ or Coles instead of Galloway.

Let's clear some things up here:

-Brad Smith is an RFA if we stay uncapped

-Housh or Coles would have been much more expensive than Galloway

-Jason Avant is an RFA

-Lee Evans is still under contract

-Derrick Mason will be 36 years old and had to be lured out of retirement this year

-Muhammad will be 37 years old

-Deion Branch can be had for minimum contract

Last edited:
Ive said it in other threads that I feel like Bryant and Floyd are our best options at WR in FA. I would love to see atleast 1 of these guys on the roster next season, and both would be a bonus.

Let's clear some things up here:

-Brad Smith is an RFA if we stay uncapped

-Housh or Coles would have been much more expensive than Galloway

-Jason Avant is an RFA

-Lee Evans is still under contract

-Derrick Mason will be 36 years old and had to be lured out of retirement this year

-Muhammad will be 37 years old

-Deion Branch can be had for minimum contract

My information said Evans and Avant UFA, What do you have?

Understand on Smith if uncapped. Just talking.
DW Toys

Um, no. As of right now Jackson and Marshall are RFAs. If a new CBA gets signed in the next month, which has about a 5% chance of happening (any may keep the 2010 free agent rules), then they become UFAs. But saying that are "UFAs for now" is like saying guilty until proven innocent. I can guarantee you that NO team is operating under the asinine assumption that a new CBA will be reached before FA.

People do know, just completely dismissing what's going to happen in the next two months is short-sighted and just plain stupid.

I don't think it's stupid at all. I would bet there's a higher chance of a new CBA being signed (whether it's for 2010 or 2011) than of an uncapped year with no CBA signed. So if you say there's a 5% chance of a new CBA being signed, that would mean there's a 3% chance of things staying the same as they are now and 92% chance of a lockout. So the only thing that's "short-sighted and stupid" is to ASSUME that nothing is going to change. Teams have to be prepared for both scenarios.

After this yr Im a little suspect of these TB wr

Agree. I've never been a big fan of Bryant anyway. Put me in the Kevin Walter camp - a physical possession WR is just what we need. I'm also intrigued by Chris Chambers. He did not fit well in SD, but really caught on with KC - which in theory would bode well for fitting into this offense. Those are the 2 guys I'd go after if we keep Moss. Now, if we end up getting rid of Moss, than I'm all for a Boldin/Marshall type move.

One thing about guys like Floyd and Walter is that do they want to leave a place where they are the #2WR for a spot where they would be the number 3WR.

I'd be shocked if the Pats go after Bryant for this one reason:

Michael Holley talked on WEEI about an interview the Pats had with Antonio Bryant when the Bryant was leaving U of Pitt. He was covering the Pats and was writing Patriot Reign at the time and actually sat in on the interview (it was a pre-draft sit down that is common between players and teams). He said that Bryant was a complete ass and all he did was ask "What were the Patriots going to do for him?" if they drafted him. When asked about what being an NFL player would mean to him, Bryant went on and on about his skills and other things that had nothing to do with football. He said as soon as the the interview was over (and it was over quickly), the Pats staff member laughed and said something along the lines of "that is exactly the type of guy we don't want. He is NOT a Patriot." I've heard him tell this story twice and I THINK it was Pioli who was doing the interview, but I could be wrong. Holley said he was going to put it in his book but left it out since Bryant was just a college junior at the time and was only 20 years old.

A lot of things change and maybe the guy has grown up quite a bit, but I always think about this story when somebody mentions Bryant.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if the Pats go after Bryant for this one reason:

Michael Holley talked on WEEI about an interview the Pats had with Antonio Bryant when the Bryant was leaving U of Pitt. He was covering the Pats and was writing Patriot Reign at the time and actually sat in on the interview (it was a pre-draft sit down that is common between players and teams). He said that Bryant was a complete ass and all he did was ask "What were the Patriots going to do for him?" if they drafted him. When asked about what being an NFL player would mean to him, Bryant went on and on about his skills and other things that had nothing to do with football. He said as soon as the the interview was over (and it was over quickly), the Pats staff member laughed and said something along the lines of "that is exactly the type of guy we don't want. He is NOT a Patriot." I've heard him tell this story twice and I THINK it was Pioli who was doing the interview, but I could be wrong. Holley said he was going to put it in his book but left it out since Bryant was just a college junior at the time and was only 20 years old.

A lot of things change and maybe the guy has grown up quite a bit, but I always think about this story when somebody mentions Bryant.

Bryant was a 1st round talent but fell to end of the 2nd round due to those very character issues. Like you said, there's always a chance he has grown up a little. I personally think he'd wreak havoc in this offense and he's just what we need.

Bryant was a 1st round talent but fell to end of the 2nd round due to those very character issues. Like you said, there's always a chance he has grown up a little. I personally think he'd wreak havoc in this offense and he's just what we need.

The kid was a stud in college and you're right, the character issues did hurt him. Maybe he has grown up, but remember, this is a guy who failed a drug test a little over two years ago.

Character issues never bothered me in the past because the locker room was so strong, but that's not the case anymore I don't think.

Last edited:

This was 9 years ago, the kid was 19-20 yrs old and felt invincible like most kids his age. Bryant would do great with the Pats

The name of Antonio Bryant has a great deal of significance in two ways.

First, a story I've told before:

The 2002 draft had 11 WRs drafted in the first two rounds. Bryant was the 10th and Deion Branch was the 11th. Post draft, Jerry Jones of Cowboys fame told the Boys' beat reporter why he traded up to choose Antonio one slot before the Pats pick. He heard the Pats had strong interest in Bryant and that he was their target.

Now, I never doubted that story for one simple reason. With such a high number of WRs selected (3 in round one and 8 in round two), chances are the Pats must have thought highly of more than only Deion, especially when they had no idea how the WR group would come off the board.

Here's the second significance:

If Bryant signs with the Pats, he would be the 6th WR from that group of 11 to play for the Pats. The others:

Donte Stallworth
Jabar Gaffney
Andre Davis
Reche Caldwell
Deion Branch

This was 9 years ago, the kid was 19-20 yrs old and felt invincible like most kids his age. Bryant would do great with the Pats

Maybe you're right. But like I just posted, he had major clashes with his coaches in SF forcing them to cut him and then failed a drug test and those things were just a couple years ago.

One thing about guys like Floyd and Walter is that do they want to leave a place where they are the #2WR for a spot where they would be the number 3WR.

I dont think it would seem like a demotion to them since, technically WW or JE, are slot receivers. And after this year who do you consider the Pats WR1?
What diff does it make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back