PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR numbers (take with a grain of salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Yes, I KNOW there's way more to what's happening than what can be seen in the numbers. And yes, if Branch and Givens were here, the O would very likely be clicking more, they know the system, etc... And yes, different systems, different opponents, different teammates - all of this skews everything and stats lie. Having said all that...

Givens - 3 games, 7 REC, 101 yards, 0 TDs, 5 FDs
Branch - 1 game, 2 REC, 23 yards, 0 TDs, 2 FDs
Davis - 3 games - NOTHING

Caldwell - 3 games, 7 REC, 93 yards, 7 FDs
Gabriel - 2 games, 6 REC, 65 yards, 1 TD, 5 FDs
Jackson - 1 game, 2 REC, 42 yards, 1 TD, 2 FD

Give it time. These guys can produce. If they can't by, say, week 10, feel free to write this season off. All we have to do is improve steadily and make the playoffs.

Branch isnt going to put up big numbers early because they have 3 other good recievers. He may not even necesarily be a starter. He is like a #3.

Caldwell isnt playing badly. He would problably be doing a lot better then decent if Brady was in sync.

Last edited:
After seeing Gabriel in the 4th quarter, I'm excited to see Brady and him continue to build chemistry. Should be fun to watch.

Kdo5 said:
Branch isnt going to put up big numbers early because they have 3 other good recievers. He may not even necesarily be a starter. He is like a #3.

Which begs the question, Why pay him top 10 WR money?

I think the Patriots receivers all look pretty promising right now. I am looking forward to a game where they are all relatively 100% healthy.

EX-PATS - 7 games, 9 REC, 124 yards, 0 TDs, 7 FDs
NEW PATS - 6 games, 15 REC, 200 yards, 2 TDs, 14 TDs

Meanwhile, the ex-pats cost 12+ million per year, and the new Pats cost, well...a whole lot less.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
EX-PATS - 7 games, 9 REC, 124 yards, 0 TDs, 7 FDs
NEW PATS - 6 games, 15 REC, 200 yards, 2 TDs, 14 TDs

Meanwhile, the ex-pats cost 12+ million per year, and the new Pats cost, well...a whole lot less.

I hope the trend continues.

mdhprime said:
I hope the trend continues.

lol. same here. Obviously, Branch is going to put up pretty big numbers, but - at 7 mill per season - he may have to put up CRAZY numbers to justify the difference between what his production would've been here and what Gabriel's will be.

patsox23 said:
lol. same here. Obviously, Branch is going to put up pretty big numbers, but - at 7 mill per season - he may have to put up CRAZY numbers to justify the difference between what his production would've been here and what Gabriel's will be.

Of course he'll put up crazy numbers, didn't you know that Deion Branch was open on every play against even the best defenses the past 3 years? That's why he's a perennial lock for 1,000 yards every year.

I was at the game last night and saw that the WR's were open a fair amount, Brady just wasn't getting them the ball. That does not mean that the change in WR's is not at all to blame for the offensive struggles, but that the guys we have are capable of getting open.

Catches per game, 2005:

BRANCH: 7, 8, 6, 1, 8, 7, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 2, 4, 2

GIVENS: 2, 5, 9, 6, 2, 7, 7, 4, DNP, DNP, DNP, 5, 3, 6, 2, 1

Strong first half, not-so second half. Going forward, can we get this kind of production from two of Chad Jackson/Doug Gabriel/Reche Caldwell? I think it's possible.

patsox23 said:
Which begs the question, Why pay him top 10 WR money?

This is what I am having difficulty understanding as well. Why on earth did they pay him so much? They don't seem like they really even need him, much less enough to throw millions of dollars at him.

Bella*chick said:
This is what I am having difficulty understanding as well. Why on earth did they pay him so much? They don't seem like they really even need him, much less enough to throw millions of dollars at him.

I think Deion's a terrific player, but I thought the same thing yesterday. They put up 42 points on a supposedly tough Giants D with Deion barely participating. A panic move in light of the new guy Burleson taking some time to adjust, with Darrell Jackson a bit nicked up?

Meanwhile, a little patience and I think we'll be okay at WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft