PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would James Farrior fit in NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear Farrior is considering retirement.

I don't think I want him on the Patriots. I don't think he and Belichick had the best of relationships when they both were with the Jets. Farrior was a bust with the Jets and considered an underachiever. Belichick never made him a full time starter then even though he was the 8th overall pick

I wouldn't mind having him if he still wants to play. Anyone remember Bryan Cox?? Never hurts to have a veteran leader as a backup.

I wouldn't mind having him if he still wants to play. Anyone remember Bryan Cox?? Never hurts to have a veteran leader as a backup.

With all due respect Joey, I think you may be comparing apples to oranges in this case.

I think you have a good general idea about having a vet backup who may still contribute on some level, but in this specific scenario I don't think it would be much of a fit.

The main reason above all else being that we have a pretty loaded roster competition going on already, especially at the position of ILB. And that's not even taking Farrior's age or dropoff in talent into effect.

Looking at the ILB roster right now:

1.Mayo
2.Spikes
3.Hightower
4.Fletcher
5.Carpenter
6.Tarpinian
7.T.White

With the likelihood of only keeping 5 if you consider one of Carpenter/Tarpinian/White as primarily a ST-only player, we'll already be cutting 2-3 ILB's who are probably all better than Farrior at this point.

Was this a serious question? Not only would he be a waste of a roster space, but he would never see the light of day on the field.

Former Steelers Linebacker James Farrior's Agent Says 'Waiting For a Championship Opportunity' - Behind the Steel Curtain

A veteran linebacker...a proven asset to his position....a player whose is aged but might still have enough in the tank to give his new team some needed depth.....a player who would like a chance at another championship before hanging it up.

I personally would be interested in Farrior coming to NE as this writer expresses.

Thoughts?
No Freaking Way

Last edited:
Sign him.

He's either better than what we got, or he's cut.

How much do we sign him for? I'd go vet minimum with escalators based on performance - he's got to prove it.

If anything,he could be a valuable addition if the current LB corps goes on an injury spree and depth is shallow and he is still available or has not decided to retire yet.

Give me aging but veteran over a PS player anyday if it came down to that

Right now,I would agree our LBs spots are fully occupied, but we all know injuries are not a what if,but a definate.

Last edited:
As much as I hate the Steelers, they are probably the most like the Patriots in terms of player evaluation and cost/benefit analysis. When they decide a player isn't worth it, they are almost always right.

So for the most part, any player they want, I'd guess that he could also help us,

and any player they don't want, I'd think hard and skeptically about how in the world he could possibly help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe