PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would anyone kick the tires on RB Arian Foster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With his cap hit and injuries..i think he is gone from Houston....would you want to kick the tires on him for something cheap

The term "something cheap" is always good when it comes to bringing in other outside players, or at least the consideration of the idea.

How much that would cost is up for debate, but sure--I think someone like Foster could prove to be a nice pickup under the right circumstances.

The term "something cheap" is always good when it comes to bringing in other outside players, or at least the consideration of the idea.

How much that would cost is up for debate, but sure--I think someone like Foster could prove to be a nice pickup under the right circumstances.

I mean i have no idea what he would fetch. Given how many Rbs will be on the market come FA..it will drive all their prices down. But i wonder what "cheap" is. If Forte is lucky to get 4 mill a year...is Foster 2.5 or 3 a year?

I mean i have no idea what he would fetch. Given how many Rbs will be on the market come FA..it will drive all their prices down. But i wonder what "cheap" is. If Forte is lucky to get 4 mill a year...is Foster 2.5 or 3 a year?

That's a great question.

I'm not entirely sure that Matt Forte is necessarily going to command less than 4m dollars per year, but that's just my opinion. I think we saw the RB market bounce back pretty significantly last season, and I'm wondering if Forte won't see something in the 4.5m dollar range?

Who knows with Foster, though? I'd have to guess that your projections are close, in terms of a 3m dollar AAV range, but for how long? One can argue that another team may offer him something in the ballpark of a 3/9 type of deal, and I'm not sure if Belichick could justify that.

Hes another RB that is not a 20-25 touch-a-game guy anymore.

Unlike Forte he can't stay healthy.

Bottom line is that with the plethora of 30something RBs in the market and Lewis coming off the injury they NEED to draft a RB with athleticism that can make an impact this year.

Kinda like C.J. Procise but have only seen him play a handful of times. Good runner. Can catch.

That's a great question.

I'm not entirely sure that Matt Forte is necessarily going to command less than 4m dollars per year, but that's just my opinion. I think we saw the RB market bounce back pretty significantly last season, and I'm wondering if Forte won't see something in the 4.5m dollar range?

Who knows with Foster, though? I'd have to guess that your projections are close, in terms of a 3m dollar AAV range, but for how long? One can argue that another team may offer him something in the ballpark of a 3/9 type of deal, and I'm not sure if Belichick could justify that.

I was going on the reports. that he would be lucky to get 4...but i agree some team will overpay a bit

Too injury prone. Even for cheap $, relying on him is a mistake.

He would've be our #1. like in HOU where he takes all the snaps. We would have 3-4 who would takes snaps every game

Why are people obsessed with old running backs, when every year, late drafted and even undrafted RBs come in and make a real name for themselves?

Because Foster and Forte were gamechanging talents even last year in limited action and most late round RBs won't be much more than a Brandon Bolden.

It's like asking why Corey Dillon when we already have Cedric Cobbs.

Yeah, because the Corey Dillon signing is the norm, right?

Do you really want me to list off all the names of young backs that were really good last year and were picked off the scrap heap?

Now, you tell me how many old running backs who get cut and go on and do big things on the wrong side of age 28...

if the pats are not going to sign a guy like Alfred Morris or Forte with a track record of staying on the field then they are better off just hoping Lewis can play a full 16 and playoffs cause if he can he is a 1400 total yard RB so IMO if the pats are not going to sign one of the top FA backs then just trade up in the Draft and get Derrick Henry with Lewis and White on 3rd down

No. Foster tore his achilles and players who injured their achilles tend to fall off a cliff. Even if we sign him cheap there won't be any point at all. Just sign Matt Forte and have him share snaps with Lewis, that will solve our RB problems.

Yeah, because the Corey Dillon signing is the norm, right?

Do you really want me to list off all the names of young backs that were really good last year and were picked off the scrap heap?

Now, you tell me how many old running backs who get cut and go on and do big things on the wrong side of age 28...

i don't think foster is the guy cause even in the 4 games he was on the field he was not playing good in that pats system maybe if he signs with denver and stays on the field he could have one more nice season but thats a big if,

as far as vet backs go it could happen Frank Gore was not the impact players the colts were hoping he could be but at 32 years old he was 9th in the NFL in yards and DeAngelo Williams also 32 years old was 10th in the NFL in yards as a injury fill in. the guy all us pats fans want to sign forte was 11th in the NFL in yards and he missed 4 games at 30 years old, if the pats are not signing Forte i want them to Draft a RB to split time with Lewis and white but like a sad it is possible to get one good year out of a ageing RB

Because Foster and Forte were gamechanging talents even last year in limited action and most late round RBs won't be much more than a Brandon Bolden.

It's like asking why Corey Dillon when we already have Cedric Cobbs.

When was Foster a game changing talent last year? He averaged 2.6 yards per carry before he went down for the year.

As for the thread? If we're going to do a FA RB, I would rather it be Forte.

Last edited:

Pretty much sums it up. He's toast.

I don't want them to cheap out at RB this off-season I want them to bring in a productive RB who can really upgrade the unit. They can't afford to go into the next postseason with no one to run the ball.

And many sh.t the bed as well. I'm all for drafting a RB to go with a quality proven back but counting on a pick is foolish imo.

Not nearly as foolish as signing on old and often injured turd like Foster....

Look how we found Lewis... Look at Thomas Rawls... Freeman in ATL. Murray in OAK, Hill in cincy, the guy in Arizona.. The Giants new RB

they are easy to find. Don't go pay a washed up FA.

as far as vet backs go it could happen Frank Gore was not the impact players the colts were hoping he could be but at 32 years old he was 9th in the NFL in yards

Gore production wise would have been better if Luck didn't miss half the season.. Teams would have had to respect the pass more, would have opened up more stuff for him.

Put Forte in here with just average run blocking and he'll have a 1000-1100 yard rushing season and will have about 400-500 yards receiving. But ya let's just pass on a guy that could give the Pats 1400-1600 total yards because he is older than 28 and instead pick up some young guy off the "scrap heap" just because he's young...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe