PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread

Hopefully we have some kids out there to help us get to top 10 in the world level play.

The likes of Freddy Adu and Eddie Johnson seemed to have dropped off the radar. Freddy's travels are starting to look alot like Donovan's did when he first came to Europe, maybe a move back to the states to find his feet again is whats needed. I think in Adu's case it was too much too soon, he turned pro at 14/15 right?

As a neutral, I have to say that I thought the same thing. I didn't watch replays of the penalty incident but it looked pretty dodgy to me.

I thought it was a pen Mike :D

4-1 Germany .... will there be civil unrest in England now. :bricks:

Their counter attack is unreal ... these guys have unreal speed.

England playing defense like a U-8 boys team right now.

Ya just got the matchcast going in time to see Germany go from 2-1 to 4-1 in 3 minutes. Wow, good game England...

Got to admit, 4:2 was about a fair result ...

The only thing that stings is the scoreline. It's sounds unpatriotic and bitter but my views on England are there to see before any loss. Ofcouse I want us to win and ofcourse I'm supporting them but I, like alot of us, need convincing England can perform at the next level. They aren't good enough collectively and 4-4-2 is fast becoming obsolete in the modern game, Germany exposed it's limitations brilliantly. If you move the ball that quick to the numerical and positional advantage in the midfield, especially on the counter, then theres only one winner there. That leaves the defence trying to overcompensate and thats half the reason they were run ragged.

We should have had a second goal that would have changed the momentum and shape of the game but thats football. It's a shame the officals lacked the basic eyesight required to see the huge change of angle of the ball and the fact the ball was about two feet over the line but what can you do...

I wouldn't want to be a member of the England setup reading the news when they get home....

4-1 Germany .... will there be civil unrest in England now. :bricks:

Their counter attack is unreal ... these guys have unreal speed.

England playing defense like a U-8 boys team right now.

England is not even in the same league as Germany...Germany has the much better club by far.

England has fallen off and are at the same skill level as a USA team.

England is not even in the same league as Germany...Germany has the much better club by far.

England has fallen off and are at the same skill level as a USA team.

I keep telling my son I don't think Rooney is all he's cracked up to be.

He keeps telling me otherwise ... well ... advantage me right about now.

Some players are a product of the team they are on ... he was horrible.

I was very impressed with Argentina today ... they are a strong team.

Maradonna has put together a great team.

They do have weak link though ... it is Romero
... their defense will have to be perfect for them to make the finals.

I keep telling my son I don't think Rooney is all he's cracked up to be.

He keeps telling me otherwise ... well ... advantage me right about now.

Some players are a product of the team they are on ... he was horrible.

Rooney was terrible. Half fit, tired or whatever excuse they gave my grandma had a better touch this summer. First game I thought he was held back a little but from then on he was a non entity.

The talking point in the Argentina game was definately another mistake by officials in allowing Tevez's first. Then the replay dudes kindly gave Mr linesman a red face after showing it straight away on the big screen. That was another goal that swung momentum. Messi is also starting to annoy me with this desperation to score, his lack of a pass in situations that dictate it also found Tevez unhappy at moments yesterday. We know your a good player, just the release the f'king football man!

Argies and the Krauts should be tasty.

Holland 2-1 Slovakia

Whether they play Brazil or Chile in the next round, I would expect the Dutch to lose to either team.
A better than average team, but not much more than that.

They are always worth watching though, even if it's just for some glimpses of their gorgeous women fans in the crowd. :D
I was at their game v Belgium in the '94 WC, and spent more time watching the girls than the game. :eek:

Yes, they haven't sparkled. That was a very lack-lustre game.

Vittek, who has been scoring goals for fun, missed a wonderful chance and the Slovakian goalie had a brain fart for the second Dutch goal. If either of those things had been different, who knows ...

(I can't have been concentrating, because I didn't notice the cute girls. I've been flying through Schiphol a fair bit recently and beautiful women isn't my No 1 impression of Holland. Maybe I'm going blind in my old age ... :rolleyes:)

Oh how it hurts!

Would it be better to be back in England and have to listen to the jackal press with the scent of blood in its noses or here in Germany watching every bl**dy goal being replayed about 15 times?

And worst of all, they can afford to be honest about the non-goal. Just listened to a long piece on the evening news about FIFA's resistance to technology and how absurd it is. And the German football establishment is all in favour of the change!

Brazil 2:0 Chile

No love for Brazil! :eek:

Just a lot of physical bullying (Lucio charging the Chilean lad off his feet at the corner when Juan scored) and play-acting (Lucio again). Remember that fans' chant "It's just like watching Brazil"? Tonight watching Brazil isn't like watching Brazil.

Last edited:
Brazil 3-0 Chile

Very impressed by Brazil tonight! They look like the real deal to me.
Chile also contributed to an enjoyable game. Very unlucky not to score. Kept on going for 90mins. A couple of very good players in their team, no.15 Beausejour being one of them. Their passing and movement was a joy at times.
But it is Brazil who progress and it'll take a really top performance to beat them. Strong spine through the team. No obvious weaknesses.

I think the game was made the more enjoyable by the officiating of the English crew led by H.Webb. An Englishman gets to the WC final, perhaps?:D
I hope so.

MtB.
Not a Lucio fan I take it!
First name down on the teamsheet for me.
Each to their own. ;)

Always thought Lucio was a great player (cr*p haircut though!) but you and I seem to have been watching different games.

I thought that the Brazilians were conning the referee time and again, going down like Colts' wide receivers as soon as they were touched. And I thought that the English ref fell for it. All of those years of identifying Brazil with "the beautiful game" and refs thinking that they have to protect them ... Ah, it hurts after I bled for them in '82!

To be fair, the Chileans did a bit too after they'd picked up a couple of spurious bookings. And the Chileans didn't have a shot on goal all night -- once they got within 25 metres of the goal, they ran out of ideas completely.

Uruguay/South Korea and Ghana/U.S. were far better games for my money. (Let's not talk about Germany/England :D)

I've always thought Lucio would be brilliant in England, he's very much the type of center half you need here. He left Bayern for peanuts too, albeit his contract was nearing expiry.

Paraguay through to the quarters for the first time in their history in what was a pretty poor game, winning 5-3 on pens. Spain also through 1 nil in another so so game. Ronaldo another star who's under performed this tournament although Portugal were horrible tonight, they have the players to attack far more than what they did this tournament. Even the first half of the Korea game was tight until N. Korea fella apart after 50 mins.

Last edited:
Very impressed by Brazil tonight! They look like the real deal to me.
Sometimes you wish you had hindsight!

Holland 2-1 Brazil
Well done the Dutch. Got a lucky break with the first goal and then built on it.
No words to describe the collapse of the Brazilians.

this game is soooooo strange. What a foolish foolish way to act. this game is worse than pro wrasslin'. World Cup player are the biggest actors around. Too bad, because it is a great showcase, but i just cant stand the flopping around.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back