PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread

Yup. It's cheating. Now you might say that you expect a player to cheat if that's the only way to save the game. But I'm still gutted when that prospers. If the goal had been awarded as a penalty (like a penalty try in rugby or giving a completed catch when there's PI in football) who could have quarrelled?

Actually, I thought that the referee was very good. It wasn't an easy game to referee and he kept the game flowing and didn't fall for play-acting.

On the other hand, he was brave to give the first penalty. We all know how much jersey-tugging goes on in the penalty area but no one could disagree with that penalty. I don't blame him too much for missing the final penalty -- hard to get a good view -- and blame the linesman for not giving the Paraguay goal in the first half.

The thought about the penalty try idea went through my head.

Also, as it was shown in the replays of the disallowed goal, the player who was offside, went for the ball, making him active, if he hadn't, it would have been a goal.

MtB
As rare as hen's teeth nowadays to find a really good commentator.
Like you, I enjoyed Madden very much. Shocked to hear the Yanks couldn't go him. :eek:
Bill McLaren was fantastic when commentating on his beloved rugby. You could hear his passion for the game in his voice whilst commentating. :D
This weekend sees the start of rugby's Tri Nations series. In the first match, New Zealand are at home at Eden Park, Aukland against South Africa. Commentating will be Grant Nisbett and Murray Mexted. They try to remain fair, but it doesn't take them long to show their All Black colours! Again, it is the passion they have for the game that comes out in their commentating which adds to viewing experience.
With the WC ending, the Tri Nations will help fill the void nicely till the NFL starts. :D

Going to miss some of tonight as we start pre season today but I sincerely hope by the time I walk in the door the Dutch are royaly shafting Uruguay.

Kill 'em Dirk.

I am going to miss the first half of the URA-NET game, so I am hoping that Kuyt plays as good as he has been, and game show Uraguay that you don't need to cheat to win ;)

Van Bronckhorst's goal was BEAUTIFUL! That is what this World Cup has been missing! Simply superb!

Great goal by Gio V.B! :D
Robben then cons the ref to get the right back booked. :mad:
C'mon Uruguay!!

Holland 3-2 Uruguay

The Dutch deserved to win. Congratulations to them.
Had a touch more class than the South Americans.
What a nervy finish though!

Hope the Germans or Spanish beat them in the final! :eek:

Great result for Holland, well deserved. Just hoping for a Spain victory tomorrow :)

Went in wanting Uruguay to lose and got my wish. But, honestly, the Uruguayans were the ones who played with more invention. The second Dutch goal looked dodgy to me (wasn't there an off-side player interfering?) but Robben's winner was sweet.

The Dutch sh!t a brick at the end there. Still, more than happy with the result. The way I saw it Mike (or remember it rather), it took a deflection and went into Van Persies path rather than himself actively trying to get on the end of it. He actualy left it I think. Plus it would have been a very fussy offside call, I think it was only his right foot that was off wasn't it...:D

The Dutch sh!t a brick at the end there. Still, more than happy with the result. The way I saw it Mike (or remember it rather), it took a deflection and went into Van Persies path rather than himself actively trying to get on the end of it. He actualy left it I think. Plus it would have been a very fussy offside call, I think it was only his right foot that was off wasn't it...:D

RvP did leave it, but I am sure he didn't mean to :) And Robben's goal was fantastic due to the cross... from Kuyt :D

Spain 1-0 Germany

Congratulations to the Spanish!:D
Should be a good final.
Germany are a very good football team, but tonight they came up against a fantastic football passing team. Spain were terrific.

I don't think I've ever saw such an important game played with such few free-kicks awarded. The game was played in a very sporting manner

Spain 1-0 Germany

Congratulations to the Spanish!:D
Should be a good final.
Germany are a very good football team, but tonight they came up against a fantastic football passing team. Spain were terrific.

I don't think I've ever saw such an important game played with such few free-kicks awarded. The game was played in a very sporting manner

I've just been consoling a brave but sad Germany fan (my daughter and I have just hopped over to the UK -- but she brought a German flag in her suitcase and sat on the sofa waving it!)

This was a game for the connoisseurs and I go with everything you say.

Finally, the Spanish woke up!

The final will hopefully be a FANTASTIC game :)

Two very good teams going against each other, and two teams who have never won a WC before, so it will be a new champions :D

And it also means LFC will have at least one WC winner :)

I've just read on another website that there were only 14 fouls awarded tonight. Amazing!
It'll be double that at least on Sunday evening when Van Bommel and DeJong get tore into the Spanish middle! Xavi and Iniesta had better remember to put their shinpads on. :eek:

As a Very casual fan, today it looked like Germany made a lot of bad passes and lacked the energy of the Spain squad. The Spainards were all over the pitch/field while the Germans looked slow to react.

Last edited:
Sad days. It should be a good final, but not the epic final that Holland-Germany would have been.

As a Very casual fan, today it looked like Germany made a lot of bad passes and lacked the energy of the Spain squad. The Spainards were all over the pitch/field while the Germans looked slow to react.

In any normal game between two decent teams, you wouldn't really notice how many times your team lost possession, and it would probably even itself out with regards to the other team's loss of possession. But because the Spanish are so good at retaining the ball for very long periods, it exaggerates how bad your team is at doing the same thing.
I'm not sure I'd agree with you regarding a lack of energy by the Germans. I wonder if you mean that they were standing off the Spaniards a lot and just watching them. If it is, it is because they wanted to keep their shape and discipline. If they went in gung-ho to try and win the ball, the Spanish would rip them apart with their passing and movement.
Watch the final on Sunday. The Dutch will play the exact same way as the Germans, and try to contain the Spanish whilst hitting them on the break.

In any normal game between two decent teams, you wouldn't really notice how many times your team lost possession, and it would probably even itself out with regards to the other team's loss of possession. But because the Spanish are so good at retaining the ball for very long periods, it exaggerates how bad your team is at doing the same thing.
I'm not sure I'd agree with you regarding a lack of energy by the Germans. I wonder if you mean that they were standing off the Spaniards a lot and just watching them. If it is, it is because they wanted to keep their shape and discipline. If they went in gung-ho to try and win the ball, the Spanish would rip them apart with their passing and movement.
Watch the final on Sunday. The Dutch will play the exact same way as the Germans, and try to contain the Spanish whilst hitting them on the break.

Agree (almost) completely.

The Germans were sitting back and letting the Spanish come to them, relying on breaking up the attack and hitting back with fast breaks, long passes, exploiting space where the Spaniards had come forward.

There's something similar in basketball where teams concentrate on defence and then try to score on fast breaks when the court is relatively empty.

Except it just didn't happen for them. The Spaniards flooded the midfield and held the ball, partly by exceptional close passing and dribbling skills and being extraordinarily good at taking the ball under challenge and holding it (something that Pedro, the replacement for Torres, did exceptionally well) partly by being incredibly patient -- not trying to split the defence with long passes or hoofing it over with a speculative cross into the penalty area. No doubt, they were too conservative -- that is, they could have turned their superiority in possession into more goals -- but it was a real "technical" display.

The Germans, in fact, are an incredibly fit and energetic side -- very young and well capable of undertaking the sprints you need to play on the break. But what they couldn't do was establish any kind of build-up. It seemed that they didn't get out of their own half of the field for 5 or 6 minutes on end in the second half.

Contrast that with the Germans' previous displays where they'd profited from letting teams come at them and then attacked with incredible precision and incisiveness.

My only quarrel with CD is whether the Dutch will play the same way. They aren't a sit back and break fast team -- more like the Spaniards, I'd say (but not as good!)

So I have the Spaniards as heavy favourites on Sunday, provided that they don't freeze up when something goes wrong for them.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back