PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woods: Anyone else having a change of heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got better players ahead of him, but he's good depth. Hopefully he rarely sees the field. That means we are healthy at OLB.

Or if he does, it means we are so far ahead that we are playing backups.

We've got better players ahead of him, but he's good depth. Hopefully he rarely sees the field. That means we are healthy at OLB.

Or if he does, it means we are so far ahead that we are playing backups.

The problem with the top OLB off the bench rarely seeing the field was clear down the stretch last year when Mike Vrabel appeared to be running on fumes during the playoffs.

With the age we have at LB, ideally we have guys at the top backup spot at ILB and OLB who can play several series a game to give the older guys some rest.

Time will tell if Woods can do that.

Last edited:
I'd still love to see some of those pressures become sacks, for the whole LB crew, not just Woods. It just seems the Pats lack that "Closer" on the edge who can get the quick pressure AND the sack. LBs always seem to just get a hand on the QB who then steps up and gets off a pass.

Which is why I would have liked to see Groves in a Pats uni. But you can't get everything you want. Crable has been looking quite impressive with his long arms and ability to affect the passing game by batting down balls. His height and length brings a different asset to the table than purely pass rushing.

back up and special teamer and nothing else

If thats the case why did BB have him in during Q2 of the SB? For him to be thought of that highly - to get reps in a game that big - obviously mean they think a lot more of him than you do

I think he'll see a lot of time this year, spelling AD and Vrabel

My opinion of Woods going into this year was that he started to show up more on special teams in 2007, and could potential start to see time in rotation at OLB. I like what I've seen from him lately, and I think he should see increased time on the football field, but that's not really a change of opinion. I don't think he's going to pass Thomas or Vrabel anytime soon, so he'll likely be splitting backup duty with Crable. So, he could have an impact, but it will likely be somewhat limited.

Last edited:
If thats the case why did BB have him in during Q2 of the SB? For him to be thought of that highly - to get reps in a game that big - obviously mean they think a lot more of him than you do

The starters were worn down and every front 7 back-up was in for that series. Le Kevin Smith was in that series. Does that mean he is now a top quality back-up for Warren, Wilfork, and Seymour?

The starters were worn down and every front 7 back-up was in for that series. Le Kevin Smith was in that series. Does that mean he is now a top quality back-up for Warren, Wilfork, and Seymour?
Well, yeh. LeKevin has been working hard and getting better. I think they've decided he's not a fit at NT, but is a servicable DE - we'll have to see how servicable this season when he gets his reps.

Key word there being Back-up. I mean I know Lynch is going to be a back up safety but never every position can have a pro bowl back up.

Woods IMO is exactly what you want out of a back up. He plays extremely good STs and he seems to be makng the best of his increases reps at enough that I feel ok with him if injury strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case