PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woodley: Pats, Bengals will lay down

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 season, Steelers 7 Pats 6

What a shootout. I believe it was none other than Mike Vrabel who strip-sacked Bledsoe to end the game on what could have been a game winning final drive.

You are correct! Good game, lousy ending.

Woodley: Foes want Steelers sidelined

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Linebacker LaMarr Woodley predicts the New England Patriots and Cincinnati Bengals will "lay down" for their virtually meaningless games on Sunday because they don't want the Super Bowl champion Steelers in the playoffs.

The Steelers (8-7), losers of five of seven, would make it in if they beat Miami, the Patriots defeat Houston, and the Bengals beat the New York Jets.

There are other combinations in which Pittsburgh could sneak in, but it's unlikely the Steelers would make it unless New England wins.

The Patriots and Bengals have little to play for except which team will be seeded No. 3 in the AFC. With a wild-card playoff game awaiting each team next week, the Patriots and Bengals are expected to rest some starters to avoid possible injuries.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Steelers--we know the feeling of wanting in, but the Pats were 11-5 last year and actually deserved it . Then Mr. Wrangler jeans tanked his last game in a Jets uniform, and them's the breaks as they say.

Woodley you are truly a dumba** if you think Belichick or the Pats will ever lay down. We're not talking about the Jeff Fishers and Bill Poilans of this world. BB could care less about the situations other teams find themselves in.

Brady comes out in the fourth quarter if the Pats are up by fourteen or more, so don't worry about us. Good luck champs.

For Pitt to get in given they beat MIA, we must win and the Jets lose, OR we must win and BAL lose (to OAK!!!), OR the Jets must lose, DEN lose in addition BAL losing to OAK. How unlikely is that, esp with BAL who just needs a W to get in the contest?

It's not like they went out and WON 11 GAMES and have to hope that just one team loses in a meaningfull contest to both sides. Self inflicted wound.
If the Texans beat the Pats, then Pittsburgh can only get in if (a) they beat Miami, (b) Baltimore loses to Oakland, (c) Denver loses to KC, and (d) the Jets lose to the Bengals. In other words, if Houston wins their chances are mighty slim.

I don't blame him making the comments. After Indy took a dive last week, the only hope would appear to be antagonizing players on teams that can help you get in in the hopes of getting them to lobby the head coach to prove otherwise.

As for the Pats fearing the Steelers in the playoffs, he probably needs to review recent playoff history and figure out whether that is really the case. I would suggest the Pats would look forward to seeing that team on the post-season schedule in its present form.

Maybe Woodley and the Steelers shouldn't have laid down for 7 of their regular season games while defending their Super Bowl championship. :rolleyes:

That team is right full of dummies who love to run their mouths.:confused:

1997 season, Steelers 7 Pats 6

What a shootout. I believe it was none other than Mike Vrabel who strip-sacked Bledsoe to end the game on what could have been a game winning final drive.
Yeah, we were in FG range. And the Squeeler 7 points came on a bizarre busted play when Kordell ran from midfield to score.

stop squeezing the Charmin'

hahaha. You should win the Browns , Chiefs or Raiders to control his own destiny

Even simpler: If just one of us loses and the Ravens win a game they should easily win, the Steelers are out.

Didn't Oakland beat Philly, Pittsburgh, Denver at Mile High, and Cincy? I wouldn't be so sure of Baltimore winning easily, and they're an undisciplined team to boot with a lukewarm ST.

BTW - without Troy P, the Steelers D isn't scary, so I'm not sure why they would be scary in the playoffs, defending champs or no.

I hope we rest some starters and STILL win. If we win, the Bengals have nothing to play for.

Cincy is on the national stage, so it wouldn't surprise me if Marvin Lewis has at least some incentive to play.

Ummm, Lamar, maybe if you and your vaunted defence could of played better against the lowly Browns and Raiders...oh wait, must be easier to blame other teams, and make accusations of the Pats and Bengals laying down. Keep it classy Pittsburgh!

I definitely think the Bengals will, and I'm about 50 percent sure that we will.
I don't know Bill B history but I don't believe that guy gives up on any game.

After that comment I think it would be hilarious if Woodley and other Steelers end up being so focused on watching the scoreboard for out of town scores - rather than the game they are playing in - that the Dolphins come out and beat them.

Who would he blame then, a conspiracy between the refs, the networks, and the NFL?

You know, if they hadn't lost 5 of their last 7, they would probably be in...

After that comment I think it would be hilarious if Woodley and other Steelers end up being so focused on watching the scoreboard for out of town scores - rather than the game they are playing in - that the Dolphins come out and beat them.

Who would he blame then, a conspiracy between the refs, the networks, and the NFL?

After the last 2 Stealers SB, I doubt it, they are no-shame if they say that

Big Woodley fan, but does he know that the Steelers have to beat Miami first to even consider a playoff berth?

Does he know they lost to KC, Oakland and Cleveland... three of the worst teams in NFL History?

You buried your own grave, let's not go around spouting off on other teams.

Woodley is acting like the Steelers have actually accomplished something.. WOW.. 5 times in 6 years. WHOOP DEE DOO.. How about 7 in 9 years and the only two times they missed it was because the league had changed the tie breakers (2002) and the Pats had lost their starting QB (Brady) but still won 11 games. I am CERTAIN teams did everything they could last year to make sure the Pats didn't get in..

The Steelers don't scare ANYONE. Especially not this year.

I just came across this quote from Logan Mankins he made today, well said!

"If they didn't want to have to count on us to win games, they shouldn't have lost games. I think we were in the same position last year, where we needed a team to lose, and that was no one's fault but our own. Whenever you are counting on other teams to win for you, you are in a bad situation."

Woodley is acting like the Steelers have actually accomplished something.. WOW.. 5 times in 6 years. WHOOP DEE DOO.. How about 7 in 9 years and the only two times they missed it was because the league had changed the tie breakers (2002) and the Pats had lost their starting QB (Brady) but still won 11 games. I am CERTAIN teams did everything they could last year to make sure the Pats didn't get in..
The Steelers don't scare ANYONE. Especially not this year.

I agree with you .
F him and the Squeelers. They should have beat the Chiefs or Raiders.
Did he mention the Colts laying down last week??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back