PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the lack of a consistent pass rush come back to haunt us in the Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree they are a great run blocking team. They are OK. They are like ours.

They've also allowed 37 sacks on the year. That's very average.

My point. Because Matty Ice is a pocket QB I expect NE to get consistent pressure on him.

They have the lightest offensive line in the league. The Pats have one of the bigger 3-4 packages in the league.

I do think we'll see a lot of nickel and some dime (similar to SB36).

But yes I think Ryan is going to see plenty of pressure.

The Pats D isn't built around a "consistent" pass rush. It's about gap discipline and blitzing in spots.

That's true but they do mix it up to get pressure. Delayed blitz etc...here and there.

Remember what we did to HOU?

or whatever the team was that we abused the QB and just pinned our ears back and went after him?

well that's what you should expect

I understand those who lament the lack of a consistent and fierce pass rush, but I have to wonder if those same people watched the Pats defense much this season. There are times when this defense is frustrating to watch, but it is designed to keep everything in front of them, concede underneath passing yardage, neutralize the opponent's major weapon and limit red zone success/TD scoring. Look, it is what it is and it's been successful and I look forward to more of the same at the SB.

Just curious. Has there ever been a Boston sports team who you approved of (other than in hindsight)?

Captain Stone is a troll, he has never posted anything positive at all.

I think we are just going to play an awful lot of nickel, Malcom brown and Alan branch to pretty much hold that oline with flowers trying to be destructive, with either a linebacker blitzing off the edge or a corner. I think this Super Bowl is going to depend on who is most disciplined. I can see Bill and Matt being happy with 4 yards here and there etc. double up on Julio and play basic coverage with safety help. I can't see us doing anything different than what we have been doing this season even against a high powered offence

I am very impressed with how well our defense has played. And if you've paid attention to what I've writen on the forum, you'll khow proud I've been about these guys, despite all the criticism they've had to weather. But as we approach Super Bowl LI for a match with the Falcons, one thing still concerns me: the lack of a consistent pass rush, or an elite pass rusher who can be expected to win one-on-one battles in the trenches.

So far this season, the Patriots have had to rely on generating pressure from a variety of different sources -- often with the help of the scheme and disguised blitzes. At times, this has made our pass rush a versatile feature on defense -- showing an ability to generate pressure from multiple points along the defensive front. In fact, there are six different players who have had at least 20 total QB pressures this season. Yet, as difficult as that might make scheming against the Patriots’ defense, it can make it easier for opposing offensive linemen to just line up and win one-on-one matchups. And this is where the absence of an elite pass rusher becomes apparent.

This season, there is no single player on our front, who has been a consistent source of pressure. Chris Long is the only member of the Patriots to top 40 total pressures (he finished the regular season with 57 total QB pressures) and it took him 496 passing snaps to reach that mark.

Atlanta has a top-10 offensive line in the league with great run-blocking and above-average pass protection. And when given a clean pocket, there's been no quarterback who has been as deadly as Matt Ryan. According to Pro Football Focus, Matt Ryan has the best mark in the NFL of passer rating in a clean pocket. Including his two playoff games in the postseason, Ryan has a passer rating of 131.1, 1, the best mark in the NFL by over 10 points.

If the Patriots can’t apply some heat, it's going to put tons of pressure on our secondary, and given the efficiency with which Ryan has been carving up defenses from clean pockets, I am wondering how Belichick will approach this issue.
OUR Offense is going to be the key to this game. I have no stats or details but they were saying Matt and the Falcons always play with the lead and don't do as well when there is a lot of pressure to score because they are behind. I actually think the key to a win is our offense scoring and by scoring applying a form of "pressure" on Matt and I also think we have a good enough Defense as long as our offense is clicking. If our OFFENSE struggles it could be a long day. Score!!

I understand those who lament the lack of a consistent and fierce pass rush, but I have to wonder if those same people watched the Pats defense much this season. There are times when this defense is frustrating to watch, but it is designed to keep everything in front of them, concede underneath passing yardage, neutralize the opponent's major weapon and limit red zone success/TD scoring. Look, it is what it is and it's been successful and I look forward to more of the same at the SB.
This works with lesser offenses, with Atlanta's weapons, this will likely mean long sustained drives, eating up time of possession and keeping Brady and company off the field. That would not be good. Red zone D will be the key...

I disagree they are a great run blocking team. They are OK. They are like ours.

They've also allowed 37 sacks on the year. That's very average.

My point. Because Matty Ice is a pocket QB I expect NE to get consistent pressure on him.

I respectfully disagree. When looking at the top-rated Offensive Lines in pass protection, you have to take into account total pressures - which includes sacks, hits, and hurries. Out of all the teams, the Falcons are No. 8 for the least amount of pressure allowed by the offensive line this season.

OLIne.png

I respectfully disagree. When looking at the top-rated Offensive Lines in pass protection, you have to take into account total pressures - which includes sacks, hits, and hurries. Out of all the teams, the Falcons are No. 8 for the least amount of pressure allowed by the offensive line this season.

OLIne.png

Theres a story here.

His release is lightening quick but it's also a by-product of the Kyle Shanahan quick-read offense.

You won't tally many pressures on him regardless but if you take away his first read you can get to him thus why the line was 21st in sacks allowed.

Last edited:
There a story here.

His release is lightening quick but it's also a by-product of the Kyle Shanahan quick-read offense.

You won't tally many pressures on him regardless but if you take away his first read you can get to him thus why the line was 21st in sacks allowed.

Bingo. Chatham kinda agrees which is why he wants the DE to hammer the RBs coming out of the backfield instead of going immediately after QB:

I like it. We are sacrificing something that we are not that great at to screw up their important route timings.

I am very impressed with how well our defense has played. And if you've paid attention to what I've writen on the forum, you'll khow proud I've been about these guys, despite all the criticism they've had to weather. But as we approach Super Bowl LI for a match with the Falcons, one thing still concerns me: the lack of a consistent pass rush, or an elite pass rusher who can be expected to win one-on-one battles in the trenches.

So far this season, the Patriots have had to rely on generating pressure from a variety of different sources -- often with the help of the scheme and disguised blitzes. At times, this has made our pass rush a versatile feature on defense -- showing an ability to generate pressure from multiple points along the defensive front. In fact, there are six different players who have had at least 20 total QB pressures this season. Yet, as difficult as that might make scheming against the Patriots’ defense, it can make it easier for opposing offensive linemen to just line up and win one-on-one matchups. And this is where the absence of an elite pass rusher becomes apparent.

This season, there is no single player on our front, who has been a consistent source of pressure. Chris Long is the only member of the Patriots to top 40 total pressures (he finished the regular season with 57 total QB pressures) and it took him 496 passing snaps to reach that mark.

Atlanta has a top-10 offensive line in the league with great run-blocking and above-average pass protection. And when given a clean pocket, there's been no quarterback who has been as deadly as Matt Ryan. According to Pro Football Focus, Matt Ryan has the best mark in the NFL of passer rating in a clean pocket. Including his two playoff games in the postseason, Ryan has a passer rating of 131.1, 1, the best mark in the NFL by over 10 points.

If the Patriots can’t apply some heat, it's going to put tons of pressure on our secondary, and given the efficiency with which Ryan has been carving up defenses from clean pockets, I am wondering how Belichick will approach this issue.

No. Patriots had 34 sacks in 2016, the Falcons had 34 sacks in 2016. It's a draw.

Bingo. Chatham kinda agrees which is why he wants the DE to hammer the RBs coming out of the backfield instead of going immediately after QB:

I like it. We are sacrificing something that we are not that great at to screw up their important route timings.

Yea he called me and we compared notes. :p

Matty Ice threw to RBs 112 times this year which was about 21%. (NE was 17%) of the time so if he has nothing down the field he's dumping it off. That's classic West Coast Offense.

Shadowing/covering/hitting Freeman and Coleman every single snap should be a key part of the game plan no question.

Last edited:

I know Belichick sacrifices pressure for containment to keep unscripted chunk plays from happening, and I'm comfortable with that decision most of the time. Even in the AFCCG, it made sense to think Pitt couldn't maintain drives throwing to the secondary receiever options (though it looked hairy there for a while in the second quarter). The problem is, the Falcons’ 3rd through 5th options (Gabriel, Freeman/Coleman, Austin Hooper/Levine Toilolo) are better than the Steelers (Eli Rogers, Jesse James, Deangelo Williams) ... waaaay better

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back