PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Moss become a very high-paid decoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would that be intentionally using Moss as a decoy? Yes it would. Would it lead to him being open more often, yes it would.

So you guys just want them to continue to do what they've been doing since they got Moss? Because they have absolutely designed plays to other players where Moss would run and draw away 2 guys to open up the play. Just because people want to focus ONLY on the negative, doesn't mean that's the only thing that's been happening.

What you are suggesting in your post is nothing new, what was suggested in the OP was seemingly changing the entire offense to use Moss as a decoy only (or mostly).

Last edited:
So you guys just want them to continue to do what they've been doing since they got Moss? Because they have absolutely designed plays to other players where Moss would run and draw away 2 guys to open up the play. Just because people want to focus ONLY on the negative, doesn't mean that's the only thing that's been happening.

What you are suggesting in your post is nothing new, what was suggested in the OP was seemingly changing the entire offense to use Moss as a decoy only (or mostly).

They have forced it to Moss, used only Moss and Welker, or thrown dump off passes in areas where there's no room to run.

If they want to do that again, they can have an offense that's twice as good the first half of the season as the second half...again.

They have forced it to Moss, used only Moss and Welker, or thrown dump off passes in areas where there's no room to run.

If they want to do that again, they can have an offense that's twice as good the first half of the season as the second half...again.

They have done what is in the best interest of the team. In case you forget, Galloway and then Aiken were the other options last year. You have to separate the ideal situation to the one you actually are "stuck" with. The only other option to forcing it to Moss/Welker was to force it to Aiken, which of course they had to try in the playoffs when Welker got injured and Moss was hurting. We all saw how that turned out.

It's not like they had 2007 cast and were ignoring an open guy like Stallworth.

They have done what is in the best interest of the team. In case you forget, Galloway and then Aiken were the other options last year. You have to separate the ideal situation to the one you actually are "stuck" with. The only other option to forcing it to Moss/Welker was to force it to Aiken, which of course they had to try in the playoffs when Welker got injured and Moss was hurting. We all saw how that turned out.

It's not like they had 2007 cast and were ignoring an open guy like Stallworth.

I was talking about 2007. Philly started to clamp down and the giants finished the job. Become predictable and all you end up with is a lot of records and nicknames like the greatest show on turf.

Michael Jordan pit up huge numbers and won nothing. When Phil Jackson was coach they used to Feed Bill Cartwright every game it seemed for a hoop or two at the beginning. Message? If you leave Cartwright I'll get easy baskets all game until you cover him. He forced everyone to play their man or get dunked. It really doesn't take long. Let the defense get in their comfort zone and they'll find a way to stop whatever you come up with.

Moss will get as many catches as he winds up getting.

The playbook isn't designed to distribute plays according to some predetermined ratio. We're not dealing with Mike Tice here (and a good thing, too). The situations are going to play out the way they do. In game situations always have and will continue to determine the design of the plays called.

I was talking about 2007. Philly started to clamp down and the giants finished the job. Become predictable and all you end up with is a lot of records and nicknames like the greatest show on turf.

Michael Jordan pit up huge numbers and won nothing. When Phil Jackson was coach they used to Feed Bill Cartwright every game it seemed for a hoop or two at the beginning. Message? If you leave Cartwright I'll get easy baskets all game until you cover him. He forced everyone to play their man or get dunked. It really doesn't take long. Let the defense get in their comfort zone and they'll find a way to stop whatever you come up with.

Well that's just completely wrong. The SB was not lost because they were forcing the ball to Moss or Welker and it's simply revisionist history to say otherwise. Philly didn't start anything allowing 31 points and 149 yards to Welker. The Giants gave Brady no time and the OL failures were responsible for the offensive struggles. Sometimes you jut have to give it to the other team, their line outplayed our line. We still could have won that game but it is what it is. I don't know what on earth you expect, but there is not a damn thing you could have done differently in 2007 (philosophically) to have a more successful season.

Honestly, this comes off as calling the Patriots coaching staff incompetent morons. For something that is so simple to accomplish and will get amazingly perfect results, you'd think they would have at least thought of it by now :/

To blame the offensive strategy on the 1 game failure of 2007 (which was more the OL's fault than anyone) is above and beyond ridiculous. I expect the offensive philosophy to remain the same, and the bottom line is getting TDs. They didn't force the ball to anyone in 2007 to the detriment of the team and I don't expect them to do that this year either.

BTW, no matter what strategy you come up with it will almost always be harder to score at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

I said last year and i believe it more now that Moss will be on the field for less plays this year. He will not be used as a decoy as much as in the past either. There's no way Moss survives the season playing all the snaps he played last year. His yardage production may go down but I'm thinking his red zone production will be huge.

In any case ... Moss will not be used this year as he has been in the past.

If Moss gets open, the ball will usually be passed to him. If he doesn't, it will usually be passed to someone else. Sometimes, it will be thrown to him even when covered, because he can win jump balls that nobody else can get to. Let's not overthink this.

^ Agreed. Moss is too much of a playmaker to be a true decoy. On the other hand, he has always been a decoy to a certain extent, in that we play off of him and Welker. It's a "pick your poison" for defenses.

Whether or not Moss is a decoy all depends on what the opposing defense does. If they respect him, then there's no reason to force it to him. If they single him the whole game, then his stats should show that.

His yardage production may go down but I'm thinking his red zone production will be huge.

What I'm thinking. Total number of passing plays may well go down anyway.

But in the red zone, Moss shines. Besides, if you have the talent to stress the defense with all-tall receivers -- i.e. Moss and a bunch of TEs -- why not?

Or perhaps one shrimp plus a bunch of tall guys ...

I'm not sure why you would take one of the best receivers in the history of the game and use him as a decoy, myself.

I'm not sure why you would take one of the best receivers in the history of the game and use him as a decoy, myself.

Who's a decoy and who's a live target is more the defense's choice than the offense's.

If Moss gets open, the ball will usually be passed to him. If he doesn't, it will usually be passed to someone else. Sometimes, it will be thrown to him even when covered, because he can win jump balls that nobody else can get to. Let's not overthink this.

I like this answer the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back