PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Jags leave Mathis 1 on 1 with Moss??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see Maroney force the Jags to bring their safeties into the box. No Stroud, a limping Henderson and likely no Peterson means Jax isn't their usually stout self up the gut. If Maroney can slash up the middle early on, it should open up play-action to help the Pats jump out to a fast lead.

Regards,
Chris
I agree, and I'm interested in seeing the Pats blocking strategy for the front four of the Jags. If they get push and Maroney can get 4-5 yards a crack with a healthy mix of run/pass, I'd be very happy. This would cause the Jags to bring in their safeties in what can seem to be obvious rushing downs and give the Pats a huge advantage. However, should the Jags hold up to the run as is their reputation, then an alternate scheme is necessary. If the running game gets less than that, say 2-4 yards a crack, I believe the Pats short passing game will complement the running game and give the yardage necessary in those situations. The Jags secondary has to decide to cheat for the short run or pass and risk the play action long pass. This is a ready-made situation for the Pats offense and makes the game fascinating from a strategic point of view.

dont even say Holmes is a poor man Randy

both are fast ..yes. thats where it ends

Moss: 6"4
Holmes 5"11

Moss has better hands..much better routes and his leaping ability is rarely matched in NFL

:confused:

So Moss is so much better than every other receiver in the game that we can't even use the phrase "poor man's Moss" anymore? The guy is an excellent deep threat and is Pitt's #1 receiver now. He is a good player, right up there with guys like Andre Johnson and Anquan Boldin. Sure, maybe a "poor man's Reggie Wayne" would be more appropriate, but what the hell?

Strategically, Jax played mostly 1:1 coverage on Pitt's very good #1 option. Is that OK to say now that Moss' name is dropped? :rolleyes:

:confused:

So Moss is so much better than every other receiver in the game that we can't even use the phrase "poor man's Moss" anymore? The guy is an excellent deep threat and is Pitt's #1 receiver now. He is a good player, right up there with guys like Andre Johnson and Anquan Boldin. Sure, maybe a "poor man's Reggie Wayne" would be more appropriate, but what the hell?

Strategically, Jax played mostly 1:1 coverage on Pitt's very good #1 option. Is that OK to say now that Moss' name is dropped? :rolleyes:

when u use the term "poor mans" .. usually you compare 2 similar WRs. example: Brandon Marshall was a poor man's Terrell Owens pre draft..now hes actually looking quiet a bit like ihm

Maroney considered a poor mans Portis / Edgerrin James in his prime.

similar styles, etc. Moss and Holmes are 2 different WRs. Both have ability to go deep but Holmes is better at the short routes and making them into something than Moss is (and maybe thats because Moss has 2-3 people around him 24/7)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes