PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Bill Honor Dante's Promise To Review The New Schemes Before Game One?

When you look at it from the backside on the replay Bourne sat down in the defense when I believe Mac thought he would keep running. Mac ended up throwing a bad ball, one I bet he wishes he had back. He also had Jonnu open in the flat below waiting for the check down, which would have been the smart play on first down.

Mac and Zappe both threw one really bad ball last night, both ended up in INT's.

Preseason is for practice.
He just didn’t see the LB. He was in the move, something he doesn’t do very often, saw the receiver coming open and didn’t see the LB sitting alone in a short zone reading the QB. His eyes were downfield and he didn’t check underneath. It happens. This is why you want a pocket. Your reads are true from the pocket, but when it breaks down and there is a scramble, you are trying to pick out a receiver improvising, not reading a defense.

Belichick respects Scar’s input more than any current arch he has worked with. If he could talk him back out of retirement he would do so in a minute. He’s also not going to stick with schemes that aren’t working. Belichick has his work cut out for him, it’s going to be a fascinating season.

It's more than just the blocking though. I believe Kendrick Bourne mentioned new verbiage, and a new system in general a few months back

This would also align up with his and Mac's frustration as a well.
Outside of three zone blocked runs that failed miserably I saw good blocking.

They can scrap the wide zone run anytime they want to.

New verbiage won't be a hinderance for long... if at all.

Mac will be fine if the blocking is there and his weapons gel.

He just didn’t see the LB. He was in the move, something he doesn’t do very often, saw the receiver coming open and didn’t see the LB sitting alone in a short zone reading the QB. His eyes were downfield and he didn’t check underneath. It happens. This is why you want a pocket. Your reads are true from the pocket, but when it breaks down and there is a scramble, you are trying to pick out a receiver improvising, not reading a defense.
I attended practice a couple times, they were working on rolling Mac out a lot... both on the goal line and middle of the field.I don't doubt preseason was an extension of camp.

They know Mac can throw from the pocket. Practice is about working on weaknesses and expanding his game.

Mac will be fine if the blocking is there and his weapons gel.

I agree but it was disconcerting to see Mac running backwards into two sacks instead of stepping up and throwing. I expect Mac to make mistakes (I couldn't care less about the interception for example), but I thought Mac was past the "wild scramble" phase in his development. Mac seemed under control last year and little things, like stepping up and shuffling in the pocket, seem like basic fundamental skills that I was surprised Mac forgot when the bullets were flying.

Mac stood in there and took hits last year, I think they want him to move around a little this year and have actively been working on it.

So far this preseason, whenever they ran the old offense, the offense has looked good. Games only start mattering in two weeks.

Someone else said it and I agree...Mac's INT was like a flashback to Drew Bledsoe at his worst. Hopefully there aren't many of those.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back