PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork Named in Miami Booster Scandal (Well-Corroborated Allegations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wilfork named in Miami Mess

Pretty clear the Patriots need to be sanctioned for this, as of this moment the loss to the Giants is the Super Bowl is null and void.

Does anybody hold the position that this sort of behavior doesn't happen at every college program of note? I would think something such as this is more the norm than the exception. It also doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Man, I lived in an apartment right next to three star MSU Basketball players when they went to the National Championship against UNC. The stuff they did or got away with was ridiculous. Not that I ever cared, but it was funny to watch them get out of the elevator with some dude in a pure white suit, bling from his head down, and a pimped out cane.

I have long believed that, since the NFL uses the College Football programs as a minor league/development system, that the NFL ought to be paying wages and/or stipends to the players and financially supporting the colleges that have football programs.

It's time to ditch the NCAA completely and be up front about how the system works.

people say that all the time, but it's not a great analogy.
schools are schools and minor leagues are minor leagues.

in the minors players get paid by the clubs that drafted them because they're 'property' of that club and that's basically all they get for being in the minors.
meanwhile, college athletes get a free degree which they can use to pursue any occupation they want, or sign with any pro club, if they're good enough to get drafted and want to continue with football.

also, the schools probably make quite a bit more money off the players than the minor league teams do, so it's not like the schools are getting taken advantage of in all this.

baseball players start getting paid when they get drafted --- just the same as nfl players.
I don't see any reason nfl teams would want to pay for hundreds of suckasses that will never set foot on a pro field.

Good for Wilfork for making some money in his college career. It's a joke that NCAA athletes are unpaid.

The NCAA's rules against paying players are monopsonistic and immoral, especially since teams turn around and pressure the players not to take full advantage of their educational opportunities so as to spend more energy on sports. (IIRC, Ben Watson said that's a big part of why he transferred from Duke to Georgia; he wasn't getting a real Duke education anyway.) The players aren't benefiting much from the credential side of the degree, either; indeed, most don't get degrees any more.

There are strong arguments in favor of the players somehow having a low pay scale, although I don't think I even agree with those. Their pay surely shouldn't be room/board/tuition/zero other as it officially is now.

Phew... I came home to this thread title and thought he might be in trouble with Bianca...

454505_o.gif

The NCAA's rules against paying players are monopsonistic and immoral, especially since teams turn around and pressure the players not to take full advantage of their educational opportunities so as to spend more energy on sports. (IIRC, Ben Watson said that's a big part of why he transferred from Duke to Georgia; he wasn't getting a real Duke education anyway.) The players aren't benefiting much from the credential side of the degree, either; indeed, most don't get degrees any more.

There are strong arguments in favor of the players somehow having a low pay scale, although I don't think I even agree with those. Their pay surely shouldn't be room/board/tuition/zero other as it officially is now.

well, I don't want to get into this whole discussion, but just out of curiousity -- would they all get paid equally, or according to 'merit'.
I'd imagine the name players and heisman winners generate more revenue than some benchwarming slug who never sniffs the nfl, and I imagine they get paid under the table accordingly.

I don't follow college ball, but do the big revenue schools pay players more than schools that don't make all that much off the deal?

what about the sports that don't generate revenue?

in many businesses you will see college students interning over their summer breaks --- you could say these interns are basically being taken advantage of, but over the long haul they trade their time and effort for experience and exposure in the industry which pays off years later.
you could say college players are essentially high profile interns for the nfl, only they don't have to pick up any lunches.

how much did jamarcus sign for?
I'd say that time he spent getting ripped off as a college intern worked out pretty well for him.
he certainly didn't get paid on ability.

Phew... I came home to this thread title and thought he might be in trouble with Bianca...

he is quite possily in trouble with her RIGHT NOW.

Hell all of us married shlups are in danger at any given moment! :bricks:

A couple years after I moved to Texas I lived in an apartment not too far from the TCU campus. A couple of TCU freshman moved in right next door and one of them happened to be a cornerback on the football team. During his redshirt, freshman year he was a real down to earth kid, not much money and lived like a typical college kid. There was many a time I'd invite him over for Barbecue and Beers, I guess by the letter of the NCAA law, he could have gotten into trouble for accepting my invite. Anyway, when he came back to school his sophomore year, he was driving an Escalade and wore some seriously pricey clothing. He no longer needed a room mate and was appointing his apartment with some crazy AV equipment. I never saw him work a day in his life and I asked him once how he came into so much money, and he told me that the coach had set him up with a "Pretty Nice" job.

He was a great kid, and I would never have turned him in or anything, but I just found it funny that TCU (you know, death penalty-tied) was still making sure that their kids were "Taken care of".

It happens everywhere.

Last edited:

what about the sports that don't generate revenue?
Title IX shows how that would go. People who think athletes should be paid are naive. The concept is fine but there's WAY too many athletes in small sports that would make it unsustainable for the few money making sports to pay for the sports programs and athletes' salaries. And anyone who thinks that women's volleyball (for example) would stand idly by and watch the men getting paid if the women weren't is fooling themselves (and it's not just women vs. men, there's men's sports that don't support themselves too).

NCAA athletes <> NCAA football players.

the NCAA rules are a joke and an insult to anyone's intelligence. I personally boycott the NCAA. I don't watch college sports. Ever. I don't buy jerseys or any other paraphernalia. I have no problem w/ athletes getting paid. We all know they're not students. And don't get me started on the bullcrap known as the BCS.

Good for any athlete who took what money they were offered while the schools and coaches lined their pockets off of their efforts and talents.

Just like the force is strong in young Anakin, the bullcrap is strong in the NCAA.

I don't care. I love vince. Dead parents. Take money.

the NCAA rules are a joke and an insult to anyone's intelligence. I personally boycott the NCAA. I don't watch college sports. Ever. I don't buy jerseys or any other paraphernalia. I have no problem w/ athletes getting paid. We all know they're not students. And don't get me started on the bullcrap known as the BCS.

Good for any athlete who took what money they were offered while the schools and coaches lined their pockets off of their efforts and talents.

Just like the force is strong in young Anakin, the bullcrap is strong in the NCAA.

Couldnt agree more, and the way they mete out punishment is an absolute joke, some player accepts an invitation to a hunting trip that he didnt have to pay for and they're all over that, meanwhile anyone with two brain cells knows there's much worse violations going on all the time.

So any chances wilfork gets in trouble by the nfl?

I doubt it...The IRS would probably like to talk to him for that $50,000 taxable 'gift'.

A couple years after I moved to Texas I lived in an apartment not too far from the TCU campus. A couple of TCU freshman moved in right next door and one of them happened to be a cornerback on the football team. During his redshirt, freshman year he was a real down to earth kid, not much money and lived like a typical college kid. There was many a time I'd invite him over for Barbecue and Beers, I guess by the letter of the NCAA law, he could have gotten into trouble for accepting my invite. Anyway, when he came back to school his sophomore year, he was driving an Escalade and wore some seriously pricey clothing. He no longer needed a room mate and was appointing his apartment with some crazy AV equipment. I never saw him work a day in his life and I asked him once how he came into so much money, and he told me that the coach had set him up with a "Pretty Nice" job.

He was a great kid, and I would never have turned him in or anything, but I just found it funny that TCU (you know, death penalty-tied) was still making sure that their kids were "Taken care of".

It happens everywhere.

SMU got the death penalty..not TCU

SMU got the death penalty..not TCU

Right, I have a couple degrees from SMU and know their history very. TCU was also investigated at the same time as SMU and got a lesser penalty because they cooperated with the NCAA. TCU was paying athletes at the same time as SMU and it was quite a rivalry to lure prospects. The 2 schools are only about 40 miles from each other.

Right, I have a couple degrees from SMU and know their history very. TCU was also investigated at the same time as SMU and got a lesser penalty because they cooperated with the NCAA. TCU was paying athletes at the same time as SMU and it was quite a rivalry to lure prospects. The 2 schools are only about 40 miles from each other.

Ah. Didn't know TCU was investigated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back