PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Maroney makes little sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbee

Banned
Reaction score
How do you justify a first round pick unless you give him alot of playing time? And how do you do that if Dillon is doing well and making 5M per year? Either you are overpaying Dillon or underutilizing a 1st round pick.

I'm not heartbroken just kind of shocked.

They did get Jackson, who I think will be an spectacular. He is physical like Givens except he is a natural WR with great hands, etc.

It's a long way down to 86 though the next pick. Mangold would have been a good pick for them at the end of the first round if they had traded down.

Anyway, who to pick at 86? Charles Spencer G/T/DT eventually Center, Richard Marshall CB, Mark Anderson LB. They'll all be gone in 20 picks though.

If Dillon plays like he did last year, Maroney will be the starter. End of story.

Last edited:
It makes little sense to cut Dillon, correct? So have Maroney and Dillon split carries next year, until Maroney is ready to start. And that's some quality depth, as well.

If Dillon plays like he did last year, Mulroney will be the starter. End of story. The pick gives us a very viable option.

mcbee said:
How do you justify a first round pick unless you give him alot of playing time? And how do you do that if Dillon is doing well and making 5M per year? Either you are overpaying Dillon or underutilizing a 1st round pick.

I'm not heartbroken just kind of shocked.

They did get Jackson, who I think will be an spectacular. He is physical like Givens except he is a natural WR with great hands, etc.

It's a long way down to 86 though the next pick. Mangold would have been a good pick for them at the end of the first round if they had traded down.

Anyway, who to pick at 86? Charles Spencer G/T/DT eventually Center, Richard Marshall CB, Mark Anderson LB. They'll all be gone in 20 picks though.

You split carries and keep everyone fresh. Lots of teams do it.

Do you want to hit the waiver wire every time their's an injury?

I am surprised they went high with an RB, but I expected 2 young RBs to be developed. Why not a future star?

The Rams drafted Steven Jackson when they already had Marshal Faulk. The Chiefs drafted Larry "Grandmama" Johnson when they already had Preist Holmes. Those worked out pretty well. Same idea here.

PromisedLand said:
The Rams drafted Steven Jackson when they already had Marshal Faulk. The Chiefs drafted Larry "Grandmama" Johnson when they already had Preist Holmes. Those worked out pretty well. Same idea here.

I'm surprised at the Maroney pick as well - and furthermore felt that they could have traded back and landed him (or D'Angelo Williams) gaining an extra pick and still being able to trade up to grab Jackson

But ultimately I just don't question BB's judgement in the 1st round. He just really doesn't make mistakes with #1 draft picks.

Maybe you are right. Dillon turns 32. I was hoping last year was just a bad year.

That's 4 RBs under contract. Plus that guy they picked up last year from Miami.

mcbee said:

Amos Zeroua, Heath Evens, Mike Cloud.

At one point these were then only options the Pats had to hand the rock to last season.

When Dillon was in he played injured.

How could we not draft a runningback.

It was a huge glaring need.

Great pick!

JoeSixPat said:
I'm surprised at the Maroney pick as well - and furthermore felt that they could have traded back and landed him (or D'Angelo Williams) gaining an extra pick and still being able to trade up to grab Jackson

But ultimately I just don't question BB's judgement in the 1st round. He just really doesn't make mistakes with #1 draft picks.

Maurice Drew didn't make it out of the second round.

So much for the depth at RB.

Although I wanted Lawson, I have to say it looks like we got top offensive players and I hope we can fill in on D later.

In BB I trust. If he hits on 1 or 2 defensive players, I have to say we'll have a hell of a draft.

And I don't know nuthin':bricks: :bricks:

sarge said:

At one point these were then only options the Pats had to hand the rock to last season.

Great pick!
Exactly! Between Faulk and Dillon and their respective ages and mileage, there's plenty room and opportunity for Maroney to get playing time without being forced to be 'the man' from the get-go.

mcbee said:

Carson Palmer was the first pick in the draft. He did not take a snap during his rookie season. He is now a top-5 QB in the league. I can justify it very easily - bringing guys on slowly (Larry Johnson) makes them better players in the end. It was the same basic scenario with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, or even Cadillac and Michael Pittman last year.

Last edited:
I think the pick is fine, and the talking heads seem to really like Jackson too.

Can we wait to anoint the Pats greatest offense ever until we see maroney carry the ball for a few games and Jackson catch a few passes?

BB seems to draft lower round LBs, maybe hoping to strike it rich. Otherwise, it seems like he looks to experienced players -- maybe he thinks he needs proven pro football IQ.

PromisedLand said:

Wow, great points.

I'm pumped, and nobody is going to bring me down.

sarge said:

Great pick!

Ding ding ding - you are exactly right. We now have our back of the future, that will assuredly contibute this year. We wont need a field goal kicker as we will do nothing but score TD's.

This draft has been like taking candy from a baby,

mcbee said:

How would Mangold be a good pick by your reasoning? He'd have little chance to start behind Koppen and Hochstein.

I see them using him in the middle of the field, with cutbacks, and using Dhillon in the REDZONE.

They now have play action with the pass, and almost a play action for the run, with Maroney's cutback ability.

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:
If Dillon plays like he did last year, Maroney will be the starter. End of story.

Yes, If Dillon plays behind a line with 2 rookies starting and a reserve Center and a turnstile at RT, its his fault if he doesn't get 4 YPC. Right?

Come on. Get real. You could have put Tomlinson behind that line and you'd still have the same results.

Fact is that Dillon ALSO got hurt and couldn't cut left. And the Pats didn't have enough behind him to really do much behind the makeshift O-line. Especially with Pass and Evans injured to end the season.

mesoslo said:
I see them using him in the middle of the field, with cutbacks, and using Dhillon in the REDZONE.

They now have play action with the pass, and almost a play action for the run, with Maroney's cutback ability.

Yes. If Maroney can play, he can backup both Dillon and Faulk -- he's a good receiver. The Pats can maximize their value from Dillon by NOT running him 25 times a game. Use Dillon a little less and extend his career. Plus, you really don't want to sign street free agents mid season to be the only running backs on the active roster. That was a disaster last year.

Back up Faulk? You're kidding right...the guy has fumbled way too many times at critical junctures too be realied upon heavily. Dillion while a warrior is getting up there.

Great pick which will hopefully solve a glaring weakness on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes