PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does everyone assume that Faulk makes the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody could be cut from this team because it's going to be so talented, but I think Faulk stays because he fills a very specific niche. 3rd down back. We've kept a roster spot for a long snapper :eek: for goodness sakes so you see where I'm going with this? :)

The question is not whether he will go away, as will Troy and Seymour and Brady, the question is "When?"

Right, but more than likely he'll retire (down the road, not this year) rather than get cut, IMO. In fact, I say there is no chance he gets cut this year. I have $1000 to your favorite charity that says so if you care to take the bet.

BECAUSE FAULK IS ONE OF THE MOST PRODUCTIVE PLAYERS ON THE TEAM. Good Lord.

I can think of three good reasons to keep Faulk.

1. He was a primary back ONCE. He does not have the wear and tear of other RBs.

2. 3 and 8 on the NE 8. Brady pass to Faulk, "and the catch is made by Kevin Faulk!" to keep what would become a 94 yard drive for the clinching TD against the 2004 Colts alive.

3. "Direct snap to Faulk, and he's in! 2-point conversion!" In big games vs Carolina and the Chargers.

Just some things off the top of my head.

Since I'm just sitting here watching TV, I decided to redo my Faulk/Dillon fumble comparison. The difference is pretty striking - Faulk has over 2x the fumbles per touch for his career, and really his rate of fumbling has not improved through the years. Here are the numbers: draw your own conclusions. Source: NFL.COM.

Sorry I don't know how to format a table so you can read it in a post so I attached a text file instead. The column headers are misaligned but you can figure it out.

Attachments

• fumbleitis.txt
    757 bytes · Views: 55
So far, I've seen a lot of possible rosters, and they all show how tight roster spots will be. I've been keeping Excel spreadsheets every year since 2002 (with playres color coded as green-locks, blue-surprised if they don'tmake the team, and yellow-surprised if they do) and this year will be the toughest cuts ever. Lots of greens and more blues than 53 :eek:

On my roster, Faulk isn't there, but I've seen that everyone else considers him a lock. I know BB really likes his work ethic and coachability, but I also know he favors cutting players a year too early rather than ayear too late.

At what point do we have enough pass catchers out of the back field to put Faulk's job in jeopardy? At what point, when push comes to shove, do you keep younger talent and jettison the old?

In Faulk's case, it is 2007, at least for me. Not to say he can't play, just that if Mills shows good stuff in pre-season games, and with Evans and Morris, I'd rather cut Faulk and use the roster spot elsewhere.

I don't think Faulk makes the 2007 team.

Look space balls Faulk is a lock, and is on the team this year okay? Go Faulk the true beast:rocker:

Question: "Why does everyone assume that Faulk makes the team?"

My answer: He pays well and my integrity demands I stay bought.

If the FO had drafted Mewelde Moore, instead of Dexter Reid, in 2004, then Faulk's guarantee of a spot on the 53 would be less iron-clad. As of St. Patrick's Day, however, there is currently on the roster nobody whose skill-set matches Kevin's. This is not the year, though, to expend a 1st-day pick on a 3rd-down back; let's re-open the discussion in March 2008.

I emphatically disagree with you.

I also strongly disagree with the original poster

in fact, just look back to 2005, when Faulk went down in week 3 and was out for 8 weeks.

He came back in the home game against the Jets, when the Pats started their four game win streak. He gives the offense flexibility.

I also strongly disagree with the original poster

in fact, just look back to 2005, when Faulk went down in week 3 and was out for 8 weeks.

He came back in the home game against the Jets, when the Pats started their four game win streak. He gives the offense flexibility.

remember who else was hurt, and then came back that season?? Oh, maybe Bruschi and Seymour (who missed some games that year) NE's defense wen't from being so-so to good in just a few games.

So far, I've seen a lot of possible rosters, and they all show how tight roster spots will be. I've been keeping Excel spreadsheets every year since 2002 (with playres color coded as green-locks, blue-surprised if they don'tmake the team, and yellow-surprised if they do) and this year will be the toughest cuts ever. Lots of greens and more blues than 53 :eek:

On my roster, Faulk isn't there, but I've seen that everyone else considers him a lock. I know BB really likes his work ethic and coachability, but I also know he favors cutting players a year too early rather than ayear too late.

At what point do we have enough pass catchers out of the back field to put Faulk's job in jeopardy? At what point, when push comes to shove, do you keep younger talent and jettison the old?

In Faulk's case, it is 2007, at least for me. Not to say he can't play, just that if Mills shows good stuff in pre-season games, and with Evans and Morris, I'd rather cut Faulk and use the roster spot elsewhere.

I don't think Faulk makes the 2007 team.

kevin faulk will be a patriot in 07. period. the end.

Since I'm just sitting here watching TV, I decided to redo my Faulk/Dillon fumble comparison. The difference is pretty striking - Faulk has over 2x the fumbles per touch for his career, and really his rate of fumbling has not improved through the years. Here are the numbers: draw your own conclusions. Source: NFL.COM.

Sorry I don't know how to format a table so you can read it in a post so I attached a text file instead. The column headers are misaligned but you can figure it out.

Thanks for the work!

By those numbers, Faulk can be expected to get 100 or so touches per season, and to fumble 1 more time than he should. That's not trivial; if Brady had 5 more INTs per season than he does (a fair comparison, I think), our opinion of him would be definitely lowered.

But the thing is -- if Faulk didn't have fumbleitis, he'd be a STAR in his role. Even with that drawback, he's a more-than-JAG contributor.

Garrett Mills has NOTHING to do with Kevin Faulk making the team.

Next please.

we went over this way too many times. the day we cut Faulk is the day we cut Brady

Kevin Faulk more than any other back fits the Patriots flexibility in the passing game and running game out of a spread set, and he's shown no signs of slipping and I fully expect him back.

Thanks for the work!

By those numbers, Faulk can be expected to get 100 or so touches per season, and to fumble 1 more time than he should. That's not trivial; if Brady had 5 more INTs per season than he does (a fair comparison, I think), our opinion of him would be definitely lowered.

But the thing is -- if Faulk didn't have fumbleitis, he'd be a STAR in his role. Even with that drawback, he's a more-than-JAG contributor.

To be fair Faulk had two fumbles in 141 touches last season with only one being recovered by the other team. Not sure but I think this is an improvement over previous seasons.

to only back i would take to replace Faulk is Brian westbrook..who is a similar player :)

other than that NO WAY he leaves

I think faulk makes the team this year and possible next, but after that, its no longer a lock. I think he has 2 more productive years left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe