Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why does everyone assume that Faulk makes the team?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by spacecrime, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

So far, I've seen a lot of possible rosters, and they all show how tight roster spots will be. I've been keeping Excel spreadsheets every year since 2002 (with playres color coded as green-locks, blue-surprised if they don'tmake the team, and yellow-surprised if they do) and this year will be the toughest cuts ever. Lots of greens and more blues than 53 :eek:

On my roster, Faulk isn't there, but I've seen that everyone else considers him a lock. I know BB really likes his work ethic and coachability, but I also know he favors cutting players a year too early rather than ayear too late.

At what point do we have enough pass catchers out of the back field to put Faulk's job in jeopardy? At what point, when push comes to shove, do you keep younger talent and jettison the old?

In Faulk's case, it is 2007, at least for me. Not to say he can't play, just that if Mills shows good stuff in pre-season games, and with Evans and Morris, I'd rather cut Faulk and use the roster spot elsewhere.

I don't think Faulk makes the 2007 team.
  2. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -13

#12 Jersey

Faulk is an outstanding RB to use in shotgun formations.

Evans doesn't come close. Ditto Maroney. Mills, to our knowledge, isn't a ball-carrier at all.

I emphatically disagree with you.
  3. brady199

brady199 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -1

Faulk is Like Troy Brown, His Value goes beyond his Numbers.

He is clutch player.

And nobody can read blocks off a screen pass better than this guy, not to mention how good he is on the draw play.

Simply Put, FAULK IS A PATRIOT in 07!!!
  4. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Oh God, not again...
  5. biffman

biffman Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Faulk has made so many big plays, I don't know why anyone would want him off the team. If anything, I hope he gets more touches than he did last year.
  6. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Irrelevant. (see WMG, AV, Givens, Law, Spires, Wasington, etc etc etc etc)

You are thinking with your emotions, not your head. You are also missing the point. Faulk is going to be let go. That is absolutely true.

The question is not whether he will go away, as will Troy and Seymour and Brady, the question is "When?"

For Faulk, I see no compelling reason that it might be this year.
  7. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Fumble-itis.
  8. signbabybrady

signbabybrady On the Roster

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I assume he will make the team because he is a good versatile back. pass blocking pass catching sts draw plays .... come on the guy brings alot to the table. if your starter goes down he and evans could carry the load for a few weeks.

I think a better question is why would you want to cut him??

and I dont bye the fumbleitis arguement because yes he started of with a fumbling problem but he hasnt fumbled all that much in the second half of his career.
  9. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Faulk is practically as big of a lock as Tom Brady is.
  10. biffman

biffman Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He really doesn't fumble all that much anymore.

Edit: Signbabybrady - great minds think alike. ;)
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  11. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

???Neither is Faulk a ball-carrier. Faulk is a catcher of passes and onceona while runner.

We have no knowledgeof what Mills is and is not. That's why I said, "If Mills shows anything at all in preseason ..."

If Mills shows the abilty to pass protect and catch out of the backfield, and so does Morris, tell me why we need three of these guys?

If we have three guys who do the same thing, why do we keep the oldest and most expensive.

Before any one else gives me any more stupid crap about not seeing Mills, let me repeat for the reading impaired:

If Mills shows anything at all in preseason

If Mills shows nothing in preseason, Faulk has a chance to keep his job. I agree.

Anyway, I was wondering why people are treating Faulk as a lock, and I can already see the answer: Because no one is actually bothering to stop and think. The automatic answer is "OF COURSE HE STAYS!!!!! LOOK AT ALL HE"S DONE FOR US!!!!"

Yeah, okay. Good reason. Lawyer Milloy was better at what he did than Faulk is at what he does. DItto Ty Law, Adam Vinatieri, and a few others.

Remember, the question isn't if he will leave the team. The question is whether it is this year of not.

Alas, I'll be off-line for a couple weeks. I'm off to backpack the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. When I get back, I hope to see some responses based on thought rather than emotion.

Take care.
  12. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'll put it this way, should Faulk be on the team this year, and probably the next? Yes. Do I think NE could find a better option in this years draft? Yes.

Honestly I'm always worried when Faulk has the ball since he has fumbled during key moments of games. I also think he is starting to become less effective as a KR, and seems to be loosing some of his speed. I like Faulk, and would keep him on the team, but I think the FO should seriously consider a guy like Lorenzo Booker in the 3rd-5th round area. Booker has the same WR catching ability as Faulk, is taller, and has better cutback/footwork. Booker could gain about 10-15 pounds and be a very dangerous duel threat 3rd down back. Booker is also very effective on KR's/PR's, and is a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball.

I would rather draft Faulk's replacement now so he can learn under Faulk, than wait for him to either retire or decline to the point of release.

Oh, and Booker hasn't recorded one fumble his ENTIRE college career.
  13. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Did you calculate his fumbles per carry vs., say, Corey Dillon? I have, and he fumbles a lot more. Plus some of his fumbles have come at huge moments, such as during the divisional round playoff loss to the Broncos in 2005-06.
  14. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

even if mills shows something in camp he doesnt bring the same skill set as Faulk there is room for both. Like I said before Faulk is a lock because of his versatilty not what he has done in the past.
  15. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

corey is one of the most sure handed RBs in league history iy is ubfair to compare the two.

Faulk had like 11 or 12 of his 23 fumbles in his first 3 years. so when i say he fumbles less than he used to it is because he started with alot but still he isnt that bad ne more for what he brings to the table.
  16. biffman

biffman Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I haven't, but I would be interested to see what you've found. I don't doubt he fumbled more than Dillon, but Dillon was pretty good with ball security for the most part. (He had couple of bad ones last year, though). I think the relatively few fumbles Faulk has are offset by the big plays he makes. He also makes some really good catches. I do still get the "uh oh" mentality when he gets hit, but I also get the feeling he's going to break a big play. In the risk-reward analysis, I think he's much more valuable than most third down backs.

Edit: We've got to stop meeting like this, SBB.
  17. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm sure you can do the math yourself. I did it a while ago, and posted it here... I don't remember the exact numbers but the difference was striking. The thing is, big positive plays are great, but a lost fumble is a HUGE negative play. Turnovers - the most important and overlooked statistic in football, right?
  18. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -13

#12 Jersey

Faulk absolutely is a ball carrier out of the shotgun, as the most recent post-season should have reminded you. Teams have to defend against the rush when he's in the backfield.

In that case, I recommend rereading the posts in the thread so far, with the exception of your own.

Have a good trip. I hope it clears your mind a bit.
  19. Hok

Hok Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

After Troy, Faulk is no doubt the receiver Brady trusts most in a big spot.

He is a lock.
  20. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

thats a good point Faulk is one of Brady's favorite targets and that is reason enough how bout his game winning catch early in the season I think vs buffalo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.