Should the Patriots cut Tebow?

• Cut Tebow

Votes: 155 64.6%
  • Keep Tebow

Votes: 85 35.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So did Jake Bequette. That roster spot got us one tackle last year. In fact, checking his stats, it didn't even get us that.

Most 53rd guys don't contribute much( if it all) but since its Tebow it makes everybody a little crazy to the point where they wanted him cut after the first 3 and out he had in the pre season game.

whats gonna happen is gonna happen regardless of how we feel on this board.

How can a team be win-now for a long time? Most teams are lucky if they have a 2 year win-now period. The Patriots are a win now team because Belichick and his team plan for today, tomorrow and have arguably the GOAT playing Quarterback.

The Patriots have been able to stay close to the top given the combination of Brady, Belichick, ownership, win now and future planning.

I would argue that it's the first two more than anything else but you are right. And BB and Brady don't have a lot of years left so it's more important than ever that they do everything they can to win now. We don't know what the future will bring after that.

But I'm saying this team this century has never been in the business of just signing a player simply to "learn and develop", they would rather get someone who could help the team win TODAY... And perhaps Tebow can do the latter at some position. We shall see in the coming weeks.

Most 53rd guys don't contribute much( if it all) but since its Tebow it makes everybody a little crazy to the point where they wanted him cut after the first 3 and out he had in the pre season game.

whats gonna happen is gonna happen regardless of how we feel on this board.

True dat.

Question is whether he's one of the 53 most valuable guys on the Pats, from the team's point of view (not the fans'.)

That includes what he can do, what he maybe could do, and what he costs (including the roster spot.)

::shrug::

Hopefully for TebowNation he doesn't crap the bed so thoroughly that this particular wavefront collapses in a great big "no way" reality.

Here's one for everyone...

If the 53rd roster spot came down to Tebow, Bolden & Fells..who do you pick?

Surely it has to be Fells?

Fells in a second. He is been the best TE in camp

Over Forty Athlete: What is Belichick up to with Tebow

This article says it best I think. What the Jets did last year was a total F*** U*. The Wildcat is NOT the Read Option. Two totally different things. What the Jets did last year with TT didn't work because Wildcat requires a FAST runner. Tebow is a freight train, but he's not fast. So when they ran plays with him as an obvious runner, he didn't get very far. However, the beauty of the Option Read (sorry, Urban Meyer fan here so bear with me), is that the defense doesn't know who is getting the ball - RB or QB. And there really is no better inside running QB than Tebow. He's great at it. If you watch any Gator TT games you will see him run this over and over again. He was lethal inside the 10 yd line, or any short yardage situation. It also then opens up the passing game (see Denver/Steelers) and for Tebow, a wide open one-on-one shot down the sidelines is easy. It's the tricky, across the field stuff he can't really do so well yet. Anyway, what Denver did in 2011 was basically run an Urban Meyer Option Read offense. If worked for a while with great success. Defenses have to be VERY disciplined when playing it. Jets & Tony Sparano were completely clueless that TT was not a Wildcat Guy. Maybe BB has a few tricks up his sleeve for the Pats this year.....

Presumably you've already got four in Gronk, Ballard, Sudfeld and Hooman. In that case, what does Fells offer except insurance (which is a reasonable argument). He certainly doesn't offer upside which presumably is what McDaniels and probably Belichick see in Tebow.

The trouble is, we just don't know the politics of decision to sign Tebow. Was it McDaniels driven? Kraft? Did BB say to McDaniels you can have him for pre-season but unless he wows me, he's out or does BB like him too (he certainly did at the time of his drafting).

In other words, I don't know :)

Presumably you've already got four in Gronk, Ballard, Sudfeld and Hooman. In that case, what does Fells offer except insurance (which is a reasonable argument). He certainly doesn't offer upside which presumably is what McDaniels and probably Belichick see in Tebow.
Let's say Gronk is on the roster but misses the first 3 weeks then so there's 3 TEs available.

The trouble is, we just don't know the politics of decision to sign Tebow. Was it McDaniels driven? Kraft? Did BB say to McDaniels you can have him for pre-season but unless he wows me, he's out or does BB like him too (he certainly did at the time of his drafting).

I don't think BB would let Kraft dictate bringing someone in to the tune of a QB.

It's probably likely that BB/McDaniels brought him in to see if he can offer anything through TC/Pre-season, but based on camp reports and seeing him on Friday, I doubt he's impressed anyone.

It's his last chance in the league (as a QB at least) for me, it didn't look like anybody wanted him before the Pats brought him in, which in itself was a surprise move.

So did Jake Bequette. That roster spot got us one tackle last year. In fact, checking his stats, it didn't even get us that.

When Jake Bequette did go in, did they have to run a special defense specifically for him? Does Jake Bequette stay on the roster if he can't learn or function in the defense? If I said Bequette was a team first, try hard guy and started babbling on about all his imaginary potential positions, would that be justification for a roster spot?

When Jake Bequette did go in, did they have to run a special defense specifically for him? Does Jake Bequette stay on the roster if he can't learn or function in the defense? If I said Bequette was a team first, try hard guy and started babbling on about all his imaginary potential positions, would that be justification for a roster spot?

1. No. So what.

2. He did last year.

3. For BB it probably would as he loves high character guys with versatility upside.

This article says it best I think. What the Jets did last year was a total F*** U*. The Wildcat is NOT the Read Option. Two totally different things. What the Jets did last year with TT didn't work because Wildcat requires a FAST runner. Tebow is a freight train, but he's not fast. So when they ran plays with him as an obvious runner, he didn't get very far. However, the beauty of the Option Read (sorry, Urban Meyer fan here so bear with me), is that the defense doesn't know who is getting the ball - RB or QB. And there really is no better inside running QB than Tebow. He's great at it. If you watch any Gator TT games you will see him run this over and over again. He was lethal inside the 10 yd line, or any short yardage situation. It also then opens up the passing game (see Denver/Steelers) and for Tebow, a wide open one-on-one shot down the sidelines is easy. It's the tricky, across the field stuff he can't really do so well yet. Anyway, what Denver did in 2011 was basically run an Urban Meyer Option Read offense. If worked for a while with great success. Defenses have to be VERY disciplined when playing it. Jets & Tony Sparano were completely clueless that TT was not a Wildcat Guy. Maybe BB has a few tricks up his sleeve for the Pats this year.....

Look I just want to win superbowls and I dont care if it takes 10 Tim Tebows to do it. I really dont care. He is certainly a quality guy.

But one thing I dont understand is this writer sort of writes a piece that makes great points about TT strengths and weaknesses but misses the main point.

We are not in a situation like the JETS. We have the GOAT QB. So, what is the plan? To change our way of doing things to accommodate one guy? Why change what is working? Seems like a waste of energy and time particularity when you have a crop of rookie receivers who need to gel with TB. Also, It not like you can take TB off the field and let TT score. How would Tom feel and why would you do that. You would not.

The only thing I could see is having TB taking snaps with TT in the game as either a decoy or some sort of trick play. I guess in short yardage situations that is the plan. But again we are getting away from what has worked in the past and entering in a new wrinkle into smooth running system that will have its own problems anyway (new receivers) without the TT factor.

When should we take Brady out of the game and run a college offense?

Let's say Gronk is on the roster but misses the first 3 weeks then so there's 3 TEs available.

I don't think BB would let Kraft dictate bringing someone in to the tune of a QB.

It's probably likely that BB/McDaniels brought him in to see if he can offer anything through TC/Pre-season, but based on camp reports and seeing him on Friday, I doubt he's impressed anyone.

It's his last chance in the league (as a QB at least) for me, it didn't look like anybody wanted him before the Pats brought him in, which in itself was a surprise move.

As to the bolded, that's a very fair point. I think it'll depend on whether Ballard has fully shaken off his niggles. In your hypothetical, Fells over Tebow is not an unreasonable proposition.

As to your second point, I'd say that they probably knew Tebow was going to struggle so Friday wouldn't have been any great surprise to them and therefore is of little consequence on it's own merit. They'll be more interested in seeing if he improves as the pre-season continues. They've given Tebow some serious access to Brian Daboll and they've installed a Tebow gameplan. The evidence points to them intending to keep him.

When should we take Brady out of the game and run a college offense?

I'm sorry to be so obvious here, but when BB thinks it benefits the Patriots. That may be never or it may be once or twice a game so that opposing coaches will always have to spend some time gameplanning for Tebow.

Do you think Jake Bequette was kept last year because of what he would produce in 2012?

True - yes - Brady himself is lethal at all times on the field. This might just be worth it for opposing coaches to have to give pause and yes spend time in practice on the option-read. It's painstaking, and it takes time away from studying TB. But they still have to pay attention to it. TT might never see the field at all this year other than punt protector on a few fake punts. But if you know you have a 3rd string QB on your team that opposing coaches have to actually pay attention to IN CASE they throw an option-read play your way, isn't that already helping your team?

As to the bolded, that's a very fair point. I think it'll depend on whether Ballard has fully shaken off his niggles. In your hypothetical, Fells over Tebow is not an unreasonable proposition.

As to your second point, I'd say that they probably knew Tebow was going to struggle so Friday wouldn't have been any great surprise to them and therefore is of little consequence on it's own merit. They'll be more interested in seeing if he improves as the pre-season continues. They've given Tebow some serious access to Brian Daboll and they've installed a Tebow gameplan. The evidence points to them intending to keep him.

They knew he was going to struggle so it doesn't matter? Are you kidding?

I am all for winning games and if it includes TT standing on his head and twirling around like Wonder Woman cool. I just think they are gonna need roster spots with this crew. Someone is getting injured. Rookie WR and 3 TE with major injuries dont inpsire super confidence that the 53 will be the same all year.

If this wasnt Tebow there is nobody here that would justify using a roster spot in a 3rd QB when your starter never comes out of games.

They probably won't.....but this is BB. He loves trick plays, doesn't he? The WHAT IF's are still out there if TT stays on the roster. Just sayin'.

They knew he was going to struggle so it doesn't matter? Are you kidding?

Its comical isnt it Andy.

"The Pats knew TT was going to stink so he really diddnt stink because they knew he would stink"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back