PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why did Patricia clap after first lateral?

ahmed

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I am not saying this was the called play but if you look at Patricia after Stevenson passes to Meyers, he was clapping. He did not even seem surprised he passed to Mac until he saw Jones there and pass going to him and then he raised his arms.

Am I just reading too much into it? Also Mac said ask Bill when he got asked about that play.

It was an odd reaction to be sure. Usually if someone surprises or shocks you by doing something unexpected, you don't clap (or raise your arms)...Strange.

Maybe he left a light on?

BiodegradableCalculatingKinglet-max-1mb.gif

If you're talking about that TWEET, speculation has it, that was a designed play by Matt Patricia. So he was expecting it. He just did not expect Meyers to throw the INT to Chandler Jones.

Even if this play was designed as a trick play, for Matt Patricia to even call that play in the first place with 3 seconds to go till overtime to lose us the game was monumentally IDIOTIC. Why RISK everything for a play that was unlikely to get a result in that situation, down and distance? It seems like Patricia has nothing between his ears when it comes to calling the offense to fit with the game situation.

It was an odd reaction to be sure. Usually if someone surprises or shocks you by doing something unexpected, you don't clap (or raise your arms)...Strange.

Clapping? I don’t know. Maybe an unconscious tick, “come on guys” type of thing. A bit odd, maybe, but some people let out claps like that without thinking twice, especially in an athletic environment.

The raised arms are absolutely a typical “WTF” response. What that looks like is different from person to person, but I’d be willing to bet almost anything that the raised arms was a “OMG, WTF” reaction, not a “yay, I am celebrating this thing Meyers just did” reaction.

nothing wrong with a draw play to run out the clock..

If you're talking about that TWEET, speculation has it, that was a designed play by Matt Patricia. So he was expecting it. He just did not expect Meyers to throw the INT to Chandler Jones.

Even if this play was designed as a trick play, for Matt Patricia to even call that play in the first place with 3 seconds to go till overtime to lose us the game was monumentally IDIOTIC. Why RISK everything for a play that was unlikely to get a result in that situation, down and distance? It seems like Patricia has nothing between his ears when it comes to calling the offense to fit with the game situation.

I've read more than one account confirming that the call was a simple draw and no lateral was expected. That reportedly came out of the heat of the moment.

But you are right, not sure what the hell Patricia was doing- nothing he's done this season has made much sense.

Untitled 2.jpg

to me, I see him giving the stop signal. Matt's used to being on the receiving end of this signal at every buffet he dines at.

Matty P: Premature self-congratulations for finally designing a "chunk yardage" play

I Did That Reaction GIF by New York Institute of Technology (NYIT)
Proud French GIF by Georges Z

As others have undoubtedly said, what was Meyers expecting Mac to do with the ball, even if he'd actually thrown it to him and not Chandler? Couldn't pass it other then more laterals...was there really even a 0.01% part of Meyer's subconscious that thought Mac would go on a 55 yard scramble to the end zone - if there is then Jakobi needs some bench time.

As others have undoubtedly said, what was Meyers expecting Mac to do with the ball, even if he'd actually thrown it to him and not Chandler? Couldn't pass it other then more laterals...was there really even a 0.01% part of Meyer's subconscious that thought Mac would go on a 55 yard scramble to the end zone - if there is then Jakobi needs some bench time.
Looked like Mac might have stayed behind the LOS? I guess he could have thrown it downfield but that probably wouldn’t have worked since Chandler was right on him. The lateral was a terrible throw anyway so it didn’t matter.

Looked like Mac might have stayed behind the LOS? I guess he could have thrown it downfield but that probably wouldn’t have worked since Chandler was right on him. The lateral was a terrible throw anyway so it didn’t matter.
The throw itself was okay. Meyers caught it.

The decision to throw it was monumentally stupid.

I don't think it would've been legal for him to throw it in that scenario since the ball already crossed the line of scrimmage. I could be wrong though.

another real kick in the nuts.

Both recievers gave up on the play immedietly, so Mondre gets to their level and nobody is ****ing blocking.

Imagine both recievers gave 100% and blocked their guys out of the way, that just leaves mondre 1 on 1 with the deep safety.

This whole team is **** now, We learned last year and this year that bad coaching can **** up a team(jags) This team took 5 steps backwards due to coaching choices this offseason.

We basically have to RESTART the rebuild again.

He might have been trying to get their attention to let them know its a dumb f***ing idea?? Maybe would have helped to teach situational stuff beforehand when theres a chance theyd hear you but thats just my opinion

Honestly this is a big issue to me because the narrative seems to be that Meyers went rogue.... but you called a draw instead of a knee and the player with the ball decided to throw a lateral. So two players absolutely thought a lateral was the right move and if you were playing for OT you just take a knee.

If you were trying to win, just throw a hail mary, if you want to play for OT take a knee.

Nothing about that play makes sense which makes me think everyone is covering for the coaches.

I don't think it would've been legal for him to throw it in that scenario since the ball already crossed the line of scrimmage. I could be wrong though.
Actually you're right... rule 8.1.2
The offensive team may make one forward pass from behind the line during each down. If the ball, whether in player possession or loose, crosses the line of scrimmage, a forward pass is not permissible, regardless of whether the ball returns behind the line of scrimmage before the pass is thrown.

Never knew that "regardless" part. Thought if you're behind the LOS you're good to throw it.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back