PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are we pissed at the defense? The offense is responsible vs. BUF, DAL, and today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why are we pissed at the defense? The offense is responsible vs. BUF, DAL, and t

Yo, can't it be both? :D

Re: Why are we pissed at the defense? The offense is responsible vs. BUF, DAL, and t

If I was an opposing offense I would throw the ball every chance I got on this defense until they learn to stop it.
It won't be long before the opposing offenses catch on!

If I was an opposing offense I would throw the ball every chance I got on this defense until they learn to stop it.
Yeah, not sure why you'd bother running on the Patriots D given passing comes with incredible ease to all of our opponents.

It won't be long before the opposing offenses catch on!

323 yards a game says they alredy have the pats are the only team in the NFL giveing up over 300 yards on average in the passing game

323 yards a game says they alredy have the pats are the only team in the NFL giveing up over 300 yards on average in the passing game
With the very recent sacking of Leigh Bodden, I don't see how the New England Patriots pass defense will improve.

we ****** suck

The offense carries the defense every game, when the offense struggles, it's the defense's job to carry the game. Since they were on the field 66% of the time, I'd say the defense failed. They make 2, just 2 stops, that takes 2 scores off of the Steeler's side (making it 17-17) and gives us 2 more chances to take the lead. Yes, the offense was bad, but the defense was much worse.

1) We only had the ball for 1:25 in the first quarter....can't do much offense when our defense is on the field all quarter

2) Didn't know Tom Brady was supposed to cover Heath Miller

3) Didn't know Wes Welker was supposed to cover Mike Wallace and the middle of the field

Give me a freaking break.....

Brady had a 101 QB rating when he WAS ABLE to be on the field.

It was the secondary that sh!t the bed and I really don't see why teams won't throw all game on this D and keep Brady on the bench.

The more your defense is on the field, the more points you cost your team.

Remember that saying "time is money" - in this case "time is points".

When your offense averages a point per minute, as this offense does going into yesterday, every minute your defense is on the field above the norm, you've, in essence, cost your team a point.

Had the Gost field goal gone through the uprights, this Patriots offense would've put up 20 points in 20 minutes - which is true to its average. It also would've put up 20 points in 8 possessions (discounting the final hail mary drive), which if I had to guess is just slightly below its average as well.

So while some on this forum intend to suggest it doesn't matter how long a drive the defense yields if it ends up being 3 points instead of 7 - yes, as a matter of fact it does.

I actually intend to start a thread on this issue - breaking off the discussion more on the idea of bend don't break and how it affects win probability. But I'll probably have to wait until at least Wednesday when this forum has calmed down.

The bottom line is - no, the offense did not look great yesterday, and it was not executing perfectly. But it basically played about 75% of what it normally plays, and it played much closer to norms than people here are giving credit for. So it's hard to place blame on a unit that performs just slightly below norm against a high caliber defense, but just performs less often.

Brady can take the blame if he wants, and the two 3 and outs were brutal, situationally - but the real reason we lost yesterday is the defense couldn't get off the field, even when it put itself in ideal situations - 3rd and long.

Last edited:

The defense held the steelers to 23 and had an interception that led to any easy 7. One could say that defense held the steelers offense to a net of 17. After all, if the offense had score 18 in addition to the gimmee, we would have won. But, the Brady-Belichick offense was outmatched.

And the steelers defense was playing with many injuries to linebackers. Our offense was essentially at full strength.

I agree completely. Would it be nice for the D to hold teams to 17 or less pts, absolutely, but that isn't happening with this D. 23 pts should be sufficient for this O to score 24 or more. This O is built to score points and be difficult to stop ala the Colts of old. This was a complete team loss and the D had its issues on 3rd down and its inability to get off the field, that said the majority of the blame resides with the O and too many 3 and outs.

Last edited:

The defense held the steelers to 23 and had an interception that led to any easy 7. One could say that defense held the steelers offense to a net of 17. After all, if the offense had score 18 in addition to the gimmee, we would have won. But, the Brady-Belichick offense was outmatched.

And the steelers defense was playing with many injuries to linebackers. Our offense was essentially at full strength.

Our ol was pretty bad. I might be the biggest Vollmer fan on here. He prob had his worse day as a pro. Give credit to Woodley. But, Seabass man-handled him last year. Hope it was just rust and back ok. I thought we gave up on the run too fast. 20/20 hindsight always the best.

What ever happened to the 'benefits' of a bye-week?

In addition to players having a nice rest to recover from small injuries, aren't the bye-week team players and coaches supposed to have the luxury of having more time to prepare for various scenarios?

Maybe the 'bye-week benefits', along with with 'home games are easier to W than road games' and 'half-time adjustments', are big myths in as much as the Pats are concerned.

The new collective bargaining agreement demands that all players be given 5 days completely off with no responsibilites or assignments and no organized activities.

The sole remaining benefit of a bye week is the rest time. There is no longer any added preparation time, except for the coaches, who don't have much more time than normal to communicate the plan to the players, just maybe an extra day, but remember that the CBA also restricts the number and types of practices, so there may be no difference unless the coaches "spend extra" from their allotment of pads practices.

Last edited:

One more thought on those trying to excuse the defense:

Frightening thought, actually:

5 out of he 7 QBs we've faced this year have set their season high in yards against us.

Henne, Campbell, Fitzpatrick, Rivers & now Roethlisberger have all set their season high against our defense. (Note a couple of those guys are on IR so the sample size is smaller, but still.)

Romo was just 25 yards off his high. The only QB we've held in check is Sanchez.

For those saying that doesn't matter, we're now just 3-2 in those games. But, blame the offense for that if you want.

Last edited:

For as much as we rail on the D... the offense is responsible for both losses and the near loss in Dallas. We hold Pit to 23 (with a ridiculous time-of-possession deficit mind you) and just keep going 3-and-out and 3-and-out.

Yes the D was lacking still, I mean Pittsburgh didn't punt until their last possession... but we're used to this bend-don't-break style by now.

Like c'mon offense... Brady, O'Brien, and the rest of you... get it together. We're supposed to be a DOMINANT offense and we've sh*t the bed when it's counted on numerous occasions now.

Probably because they didn't give the offense the ball back, that wasn't very nice of them.

when you have the best offensive player in the league and because your defense is so pathetically unthinkably awful, he barely ever gets the ball. there is so much pressure on the offense to score every time. if we dont, like today, we are in deep crap. BB better have a miracle or we are in deep dog doo doo

I agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft