PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Who's Hot, Who's Not" -- Patriots-Redskins

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'll leave them up to you this week.

I think the roster picture is really coming into focus tonight, where there were very few negatives.

BB taking his headset off, smiling, and talking with his son (with the long hair?) was only an affirmation things are coming together.

So, let's leave it up to Borges to figure out some negatives from this game.

Last edited:
Hot:
1) Everybody

Not:
1) Deion Branch
2) Chad Jackson

Not: Reche Caldwell.

not hot:
Evans
Warfield

Hot Jonathon Sullivan
Pierre Woods
Eric Alexander
Mike Wright
Patrick Cobbs
James Sanders

HOT
Brady,Watson,the entire starting OL,Graham
Seau,Colvin,Banta-Cain,Seymour,Wilfork,Warren,Wright,Sullivan,Sanders
Harrison, Evans, Cobbs

NOT
Caldwell,Branch,Jackson,Jones
and all the players who you didn't see

Last part of BB's press conference tonight:

Press: "I know you won't talk about players who aren't here, but why did you give Branch the oppurtunity to seek a trade?"

BB: "Next question."

BB: "I think we've already talked about that. Next question."

...none...

BB: "OK, good night."

a_owens_195.jpg

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen, do I hear an opening bid for Jason Chayut?

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Last part of BB's press conference tonight:

Press: "I know you won't talk about players who aren't here, but why did you give Branch the oppurtunity to seek a trade?"

BB: "Next question."

BB: "I think we've already talked about that. Next question."

...none...

BB: "OK, good night."

I couldn't help but laugh out loud after I heard that. God love BB.

shmessy said:
One plugged nickel.

shmessy said:

Never heard of the guy....

Hot:

EVERYBODY

Not: Branch, Jackson, Pass.

Caldwell dropped one and made two very nice catches near the end. I dont care if it was against the 3rd stringers they were pretty nice catches.

SUPER HOT would have to go to Watson.

Not hot: Monty Beisel.

Hot: Monty's wife.

Sorry, someone needs to post this in hot/not hot every week.

I guess this is as good a thread as any to post my post-game thoughts.

* As much as this was a good, old fashioned butt kicking, I'm still not conviced that WR is not going to be a problem for this team. I actually feel even more concerned now than I was before the game, if that makes any sense. It just seemed early on that Washington flooded the middle of the field and dared NE's WRs to make 'em pay. Other than the immortal Troy Brown, nobody stepped up. Not only that, but because the defense was so condensed, it seemed to hamper the running game a little. The big plays are great, but I remain concerned that NE will have difficulty generating a slow, methodical drive against a good D.

* That said, Watson looked unbelievable. I am amazed that he was still getting wide open after he caught a few balls. Either he is even better than I thought, or Washington's D needs some serious work.. Maybe a little of both.

* Does anyone else think that Maroney is going to be unleashed onto the league sooner rather than later? He just looks a lot smoother than Dillon right now. The past two games, Dillon hasn't looked a whole lot different than he looked last year.

* Cobbs looked awesome, but I'm still not sure how he fits onto the roster. If Pass stays on the PUP, that could give him a few more weeks to audition, but Evans has looked good too. And Evans is the only power back on the roster if Dillon gets hurt. I would never have thought this two weeks ago, but I think Evans has a very good shot at making this team.

* I knew this defense would be much better than people thought. While I still have some long-term concerns over the LB position, I am have no short-term issues with any area of this defense. I still wonder what all the fretting over the secondary was about this offseason. This team is going to be a top 5 D. I am sure of it. Singling out anyone is almost unfair to everyone else, but it was nice to see Colvin terrorizing the Skins.

* Mike Wright is very impressive for a guy who wasn't even drafted last year.

* It was not a good sign for my boy Willie (Andrews) that Faulk was returning punts to begin the game. He did have a very confident fair catch in traffic later, though, which was his biggest issue last week.

* An addition to the first note, the OL pass-blocked wonderfully today. Even on plays where Washinton rushed an extra man, no one got near Brady on several plays. Many of these times there wasn't even a RB helping out. The extra time that Brady got was crucial on several of the successful plays. This is another reason why I am still a little concerned over the WRs; too many plays were Brady needed 5-6 seconds before anyone got open. I still hold out some hope that Chad Jackson can help in this area.

I think that is it.

Edited to add that I was very glad that Caldwell was back in there during the scrub time. He needs a little work in the offense and it seemed to push him a little. Yes, he was playing scrubs, so I can't give too much credit for getting open, but he made two nice catches.

Last edited:
Mike Wright played well tonight as did Cobbs. It was good to see Colvin coming off the edge well on that sack and Banta-Cain seems to be really improving and should make some plays on the regular Defense this year.

Reche Caldwell continues to drop too many catchable balls; I don't expect too much from him this year. He seems to be doing the same things he did in SD so not much of a surprise there.

Oswlek said:
And Evans is the only power back on the roster if Dillon gets hurt. I would never have thought this two weeks ago, but I think Evans has a very good shot at making this team.

I saw absolutely NOTHING in those 16 yards on 8 carries that would lead me to agree with you on that.

If Evans makes the team it will be for 6 weeks. Dillon, Maroney, Faulk and Cobbs with Evans as FB until Pass comes off the PUP after week 6.

Last edited:
Oswlek said:
I guess this is as good a thread as any to post my post-game thoughts.

* As much as this was a good, old fashioned butt kicking, I'm still not conviced that WR is not going to be a problem for this team. I actually feel even more concerned now than I was before the game, if that makes any sense. It just seemed early on that Washington flooded the middle of the field and dared NE's WRs to make 'em pay. Other than the immortal Troy Brown, nobody stepped up. Not only that, but because the defense was so condensed, it seemed to hamper the running game a little. The big plays are great, but I remain concerned that NE will have difficulty generating a slow, methodical drive against a good D.

* That said, Watson looked unbelievable. I am amazed that he was still getting wide open after he caught a few balls. Either he is even better than I thought, or Washington's D needs some serious work.. Maybe a little of both.

* Does anyone else think that Maroney is going to be unleashed onto the league sooner rather than later? He just looks a lot smoother than Dillon right now. The past two games, Dillon hasn't looked a whole lot different than he looked last year.

* Cobbs looked awesome, but I'm still not sure how he fits onto the roster. If Pass stays on the PUP, that could give him a few more weeks to audition, but Evans has looked good too. And Evans is the only power back on the roster if Dillon gets hurt. I would never have thought this two weeks ago, but I think Evans has a very good shot at making this team.

* I knew this defense would be much better than people thought. While I still have some long-term concerns over the LB position, I am have no short-term issues with any area of this defense. I still wonder what all the fretting over the secondary was about this offseason. This team is going to be a top 5 D. I am sure of it. Singling out anyone is almost unfair to everyone else, but it was nice to see Colvin terrorizing the Skins.

* Mike Wright is very impressive for a guy who wasn't even drafted last year.

* It was not a good sign for my boy Willie (Andrews) that Faulk was returning punts to begin the game. He did have a very confident fair catch in traffic later, though, which was his biggest issue last week.

* An addition to the first note, the OL pass-blocked wonderfully today. Even on plays where Washinton rushed an extra man, no one got near Brady on several plays. Many of these times there wasn't even a RB helping out. The extra time that Brady got was crucial on several of the successful plays. This is another reason why I am still a little concerned over the WRs; too many plays were Brady needed 5-6 seconds before anyone got open. I still hold out some hope that Chad Jackson can help in this area.

I think that is it.

Edited to add that I was very glad that Caldwell was back in there during the scrub time. He needs a little work in the offense and it seemed to push him a little. Yes, he was playing scrubs, so I can't give too much credit for getting open, but he made two nice catches.
Maroney sure does look impressive but Kevin Faulk looks equally impressive and I was happy enough with Dillons 40 yard catch and run.

Hot:
Patrick Cobbs
Ben Watson
Troy Brown
TBC

Not Hot:
Caldwell
Heath "1 yard and a cloud of dust" Evans
Garrett "Look I fumbled the Ball" Mills

Doing alright:
Junior Seau
Cassell
Harrison

I will be shocked if Evans makes the team over Cobbs. Absolutely shocked. The Pats look very deep at the RB position. This kid comes into the game in the second half and runs for almost 100 yards and 2 TDs. Evans needed 5 red zone plunges to come up with just 1 TD. Cobbs big play ability was certainly on display tonight and I think he's in.

Seau and Vrabel looked solid on the inside. The Pats defense was swarming the Skins in general, racking up 7 sacks.

The Pats secondary was solid. I am not concerned about them. Especially the way the front 7 was getting pressure tonight.

And what can I say about Ben Watson. This guy was getting open at will on the Skins secondary. The only way they figured out to stop him was by holding him, and that drew a few flags. He racked up almost 100 yards receiving and a TD. Can anyone say hello to the next big fantasy league TE?

What can I say, the Pats can put up points on the board even without Branch. I think Twiggy better rethink his strategy. He either comes up with a team willing to pay the bucks AND give a high draft pick or he should just shut the hell up and report in time for the first game. That's all I have to say about that. The Pats have demonstrated they can live without Branch. Can he say the same?

Good job guys, keep the solid analysis's coming.

Sounds like a RB corps of Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, Cobbs, and Evans should be doable. I think Pass's run is done.

Nice to hear about the D, *especially* Harrison and Seau. For both of those guys to even be on the field contributing in the 3rd preseason game.... (fast forward 4-6 weeks).....TBC holding his own...Colvin showing shades of his earlier days... how friggin reassuring is this?????

And Watson.....don't the Skins have an all pro safety starting for them named Taylor or something???? Watson has finally arrived.....stay healthy lad, stay healthy

Did Mills block better than Evans? Did Cobbs?

VJCPatriot said:
Hot:
Patrick Cobbs
Ben Watson
Troy Brown
TBC

Not Hot:
Caldwell
Heath "1 yard and a cloud of dust" Evans
Garrett "Look I fumbled the Ball" Mills

Doing alright:
Junior Seau
Cassell
Harrison

I will be shocked if Evans makes the team over Cobbs. Absolutely shocked. The Pats look very deep at the RB position. This kid comes into the game in the second half and runs for almost 100 yards and 2 TDs. Evans needed 5 red zone plunges to come up with just 1 TD. Cobbs big play ability was certainly on display tonight and I think he's in.

Seau and Vrabel looked solid on the inside. The Pats defense was swarming the Skins in general, racking up 7 sacks.

The Pats secondary was solid. I am not concerned about them. Especially the way the front 7 was getting pressure tonight.

And what can I say about Ben Watson. This guy was getting open at will on the Skins secondary. The only way they figured out to stop him was by holding him, and that drew a few flags. He racked up almost 100 yards receiving and a TD. Can anyone say hello to the next big fantasy league TE?

What can I say, the Pats can put up points on the board even without Branch. I think Twiggy better rethink his strategy. He either comes up with a team willing to pay the bucks AND give a high draft pick or he should just shut the hell up and report in time for the first game. That's all I have to say about that. The Pats have demonstrated they can live without Branch. Can he say the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft