PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Would You Like at WR next to Moss and Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branch isn't the same guy anymore. No thanks on that. Here are my choices:

1. A healthy Brandon Tate: Big guy with good speed, good route running, and soft hands. This is based on what I saw of him at UNC.

2. A Joey Galloway that grasps the system: He could be flat out DEADLY in this offense (a premise that showed itself in Week 2 even though Brady couldn't connect with him) if he gets his act and rapport together with #12.

When Brady is fully back in rythm what me need is a guy who can run fast down the sideline and catch the ball. Joey Galloway can do that.

Branch isn't the same guy anymore. No thanks on that. Here are my choices:

1. A healthy Brandon Tate: Big guy with good speed, good route running, and soft hands. This is based on what I saw of him at UNC.

2. A Joey Galloway that grasps the system: He could be flat out DEADLY in this offense (a premise that showed itself in Week 2 even though Brady couldn't connect with him) if he gets his act and rapport together with #12.

He may not be the same and we don't want him as a number 1 but he sure could do # 3 on this team very very well. If it's for a low pick why not kick the tires on a former player who had a great connection with Brady. At the very least he'd be better then Galloway and Aiken at this point dont you agree?

I am all for Tate but he is a rookie we don't know what we have with him is it a kick returner or a starting WR..in other words an unknown. Branch is the closest sure thing we can get right now without wasting a high pick.

Last edited:
He may not be the same and we don't want him as a number 1 but he sure could do # 3 on this team very very well. If it's for a low pick why not kick the tires on a former player who had a great connection with Brady. At the very least he'd be better then Galloway and Aiken at this point dont you agree?

I am all for Tate but he is a rookie we don't know what we have with him is it a kick returner or a starting WR..in other words an unknown. Branch is the closest sure thing we can get right now without wasting a high pick.

No. I don't agree. Sorry. Branch has been CONSTANTLY injured since 2006 and didn't want to take a pay cut to stay here before. The last thing we need is to bring a guy in to play WR opposite Moss and Welker that can't go even 3/4's of a season's games.

No. I don't agree. Sorry. Branch has been CONSTANTLY injured since 2006 and didn't want to take a pay cut to stay here before. The last thing we need is to bring a guy in to play WR opposite Moss and Welker that can't go even 3/4's of a season's games.

Ok no problem lets agree to disagree.

I think there are multiple types of receivers who could succeed as our #3. Galloway is a pretty big guy looking at him on TV. I still think he can help us down the stretch.

I wouldn't mind having Eddie Royal as our #3. I know he's having a bad year so far, but he's the type of receiver who needs other guys around him to pull coverage and they're not doing that this season. He's got explosive speed and good hands. He could help us as a kick returner too.

Steve Smith from the Giants is another Eddie Royal type who I think could flourish as our #3. He's embarassing some of the weaker defenses in the league. Runs amazing routes, lots of quickness, and has better deep speed than Welker. (note that I'm not saying he's better than Welker; Wes is probably the best route-runner in the league and he's a much more physical player)

Bigger receivers who could be great #3s on the Pats would be Vincent Jackson, who could go deep, and Dwayne Bowe, who can do everything.

"Lesser" players could include Kevin Walter as another deep threat with size, Bernard Berrian (who would play a Stallworth-like role), or Antonio Bryant, who I think is an underrated player. Isaac Bruce is still pretty good. Probably better than Galloway. Jerricho Cotchery has a complete skillset and would be as good a #3 receiver as you could ask for.

Last edited:
I would like the Jerry Rice from 1989 ...Anybody with me? :D

Would have liked Vincent Jackson, Colston, Marshall, Boldin. Bigger, possession type receivers who will move the chains and make it harder to double Moss. Colston was a 7th rounder Marshall a 4th rounder, Boldin a 2nd rounder, Jackson a 2nd rounder. So those are guys who the Pats could have had but they slipped through the cracks. But we did get Edelman for a 7th and he's not so bad. Just not as dangerous as the above mentioned guys :) We have yet to see what a healthy Tate can do, but he should be dangerous as a returner and in the open field. Maybe he can turn out to be a Steve Breaston+ guy. That would be excellent.

Last edited:
I think that the best answer is the one you yourself gave in another thread where you suggested that base offense might NOT include three wide receivers. Watson can stretch the field as needed.

Since we're still struggling to find a solid 3rd WR option to go along with Randy Moss and Wes Welker, I was thinking about what kind of player I would most like to have as a #2 WR. I'm excluding true elite #1 WRs for now (Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson), but am otherwise disregarding cost and personal issues and just focusing on style of play.

Two types come to mind for me:

1. The big WR who can go over the middle, make the catch, and add some YAC, and possibly also go long. Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Anquan Bolden and Marques Colston fall into this group at the top of my list.

2. The quick, elusive WR who can get open and make things happen. DeSean Jackson would be my choice here (Lee Evans and Greg Jennings are also nice), and I am hoping that Brandon Tate can turn into that kind of guy.

Thoughts?

will right now ben watson is on pace for 50 rec 700 yerd's and 8 TD ill take that as a #3

Last edited:
I'm intrigued and excited by what we've seen from Edelman so far, looks like a Welker clone in the making and would happily have him on the field, esp if Brady continues to have issues with the deep ball and we have to play more west coast type short timing routes

I'm not buying this we're about to cut Galloway to resign Junior stuff, that wouldn't make sense to me as he's only had three games. With the pace he has we should be looking at having him try and draw some of the double teams off Moss deep, but to do that effectively he needs to catch the damn ball when thrown at him to establish that he actually is a threat

And those who're saying they'd like Brandon Marshall, one crazy play against Dallas doesn't change the fact the man is clearly a walking attitude and much more trouble that he's worth.

Last edited:
Tate
Nunn
Washington

Washington looked good for the Ravens and since BB doesn't make mistakes, I'm sure he can just take him back. Do over so to speak.

Galloway is just a space filler, can't actually catch the ball. YOu'd think he'd "stretch the field" but since the opposition knows he can't catch they can basically leave him uncovered.

Larry Fitzgerald

I wouldn't mind Calvin Johnson either

Larry Fitzgerald

I wouldn't mind Calvin Johnson either

Again, the League would have to institute a sanction for the amount of awesome allowed on one team.

Again, the League would have to institute a sanction for the amount of awesome allowed on one team.

Would Ochocinco qualify for the sanction ?

Can't let the Jets get ahead in the border war.

Ochocinco is the far better Ohio receiver.

Two types come to mind for me:

1. The big WR who can go over the middle, make the catch, and add some YAC, and possibly also go long. Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Anquan Bolden and Marques Colston fall into this group at the top of my list.

2. The quick, elusive WR who can get open and make things happen. DeSean Jackson would be my choice here (Lee Evans and Greg Jennings are also nice), and I am hoping that Brandon Tate can turn into that kind of guy.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I'd say both! If I had to chose, I'd go for the quick wideout.

Deion Branch in his prime would, without question, be my choice. I don't think he's in his prime anymore, far from it, but I'd still take him.

Desean Jackson is a good call too. I also hope Tate becomes that guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft