PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the first Patriot with a Patriots SB ring to get inducted into the HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Who is the first Patriot with a Patriot SB ring to get inducted into the HOF

Tom and BB are the only first balloters that I can think of, but we don't know when that might be :)

Re: Who is the first Patriot with a Patriot SB ring to get inducted into the HOF

This is off-topic, but I totally just realized something about Vinatieri...the Pats are 0-2 in Super Bowls without him and 3-1 with him...the Colts are 1-0 with and 0-1 without...is this guy a lucky charm?

Colts are 1-1 with him and 1-1 without him. Colts have been to the SB 4 times.

I think you have to go with Bledsoe. He'll be in before TB even retires.

edit; i should read before writing. I was thinking of the PATRIOTS HOF,,,,duh....

NFL HOF, Brady for sure

Last edited:

Tom Brady.

It'll take a while for Harrison to get it, if he ever does. The bad pub will hurt him unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Moss will get in but which team will he wear the uniform of. My guess is that it will be the Patriots because of his record breaking season.

I'd say:
If we win the SB this year, Moss goes in as a Pat.
If we extend him so he retires a Pat, he goes in as a Pat.
If we do neither of the above, he goes in as a Viking.

2X SB winner Corey Dillon is an interesting guy, depending on when he is eligible. He's in with a weak class - probably not 1st ballot - but great stats: #17 all-time ahead of OJ and 100 yards or so behind John Riggins #16 in rushing TDs ahead of Edgerrin James and Tony Dorsett. His stats and 2010 HOF inductee Floyd Little's are very similar and CD has two Superbowls. More career TDs than Thurman Thomas.

Ty Law is a possibility with his stats, longevity and playoff heroics as is Willie McGinest for the same reason.

The Pat's 1996 SB guys are probably the first in - Bruschi, McGinest, Vinatieri, Troy Brown, Bledsoe. McG8inest and Bruschi make it for me as 4 SB men and keys to the 1996 team. Both guys stepped up big in critical games to the Pats 'dynasty" of the early 2000s and both retired before BB and TB.

BB and TB are 1st ballot HOFers no question unless the voters decide to screw Coach B for video taping Eric Mangini, King of the Douchebags. Randy Moss is a definite HOFer as well but as much for his MN stats (rookie year is still mind-bending) as for his NE Patriots success.

Last edited:

Colts are 1-1 with him and 1-1 without him. Colts have been to the SB 4 times.

But he has only played in 1 with the Colts. He was injured for SB44.

This is off-topic, but I totally just realized something about Vinatieri...the Pats are 0-2 in Super Bowls without him and 3-1 with him...the Colts are 1-0 with and 0-1 without...is this guy a lucky charm?

I think you are the first person to point that out. Better get your flame ******ant suit ready. :)

Actually he played when the pats lost to the packers.

I think that's why he said "3--1"

Andy Katzenmoyer /thread :)

Vinateri would be the first kicker ever in the HoF so I don't think he's a first ballot (ie how to you let Vinateri in but not Ray Guy?)

Jan Stenerud is the only Placekicker in the HOF.

Andy Katzenmoyer /thread :)

...You could include Drew Bledsoe, but I dont think he's a lock like Ted should be.

I think Bledsoe will get discussed because of his stats, but ultimately I don't think he'll be in. With a ring, maybe, but even then I'm not sure. I've defended Drew out here a lot and been flamed for it, but there's a line between "really good" and "great" and I don't think he crossed it.

Bethel Johnson, all they way...:D

I think Bledsoe will get discussed because of his stats, but ultimately I don't think he'll be in. With a ring, maybe, but even then I'm not sure. I've defended Drew out here a lot and been flamed for it, but there's a line between "really good" and "great" and I don't think he crossed it.

Drew Bledsoe has ring. But Rohan Davey has 2, & Damon Huard has 1, I don't think either are getting in either.

I'd love to see Drew get in. If he does, it'll probably take a while. His stats are right up there and he took a team to a Super Bowl, so I think he'll get fair consideration.

But I always wanted to strangle that guy walking off the field while being interviewed after a loss and the guy just looked so damn disinterested. Show a little PASSION for your team, you're the fricking quarterback, why don't cha? Freaking Lurch.

I think it was just the way his personality was. He was pretty subdued most of the time. I don't really hold it against him. He had passion for the team and showed it all the time.

Good question since only Brady and BB are locks for the HOF and are still active...also those SB teams had a mix of players who had good stats and played for multiple teams (one route to the HOF) and players who were one-team guys and leaders who symbolized a great team (another route).

My thoughts...

Ted Washington didn't quite have the press or leadership rep to make it in a position that is not stat-friendly.

Willie McGinest has NE support and leadership but won't make it simlply because OLBs need tons of sacks.

Ty Law doesn't have the stats or a group like NE fans ready to go to bat for him (his last few years hurt his chances, IMO)

Corey Dillon has the stats so is close, but he played on a lot of bad teams and wasn't in NE long enough. If he had spent, say, 4 years in NE and won 2 SBs here I think he would make it. RB is also just too competitive a position (just ask poor Curtis Martin).

Centers is an interesting one, but RBs need to run not catch passes.

AV has a shot. If any kicker is going to the HOF it should be him. The snow game kick was the best I ever saw and I'm guessing a lot of voters feel that way. If kickers can't make the HOF then why have them anyway? I say he makes it. But as someone pointed out AV is still playing...

So I'm going with Rodney. He was a leader of 2 great defenses. He has the rings. NE loves him. By the time he is eligible the HGH thing and dirty player stigmas will have worn off. He's now a prominent media member which always helps (see: Jim Rice). And ultimately *someone* from those great NE defenses has to make the HOF.

So I say it's Rodney that makes it first. Great question.

Good question since only Brady and BB are locks for the HOF and are still active...also those SB teams had a mix of players who had good stats and played for multiple teams (one route to the HOF) and players who were one-team guys and leaders who symbolized a great team (another route).

My thoughts...

Ted Washington didn't quite have the press or leadership rep to make it in a position that is not stat-friendly.

Willie McGinest has NE support and leadership but won't make it simlply because OLBs need tons of sacks.

Ty Law doesn't have the stats or a group like NE fans ready to go to bat for him (his last few years hurt his chances, IMO)

Corey Dillon has the stats so is close, but he played on a lot of bad teams and wasn't in NE long enough. If he had spent, say, 4 years in NE and won 2 SBs here I think he would make it. RB is also just too competitive a position (just ask poor Curtis Martin).

Centers is an interesting one, but RBs need to run not catch passes.

AV has a shot. If any kicker is going to the HOF it should be him. The snow game kick was the best I ever saw and I'm guessing a lot of voters feel that way. If kickers can't make the HOF then why have them anyway? I say he makes it. But as someone pointed out AV is still playing...

So I'm going with Rodney. He was a leader of 2 great defenses. He has the rings. NE loves him. By the time he is eligible the HGH thing and dirty player stigmas will have worn off. He's now a prominent media member which always helps (see: Jim Rice). And ultimately *someone* from those great NE defenses has to make the HOF.

So I say it's Rodney that makes it first. Great question.

Curtis Martin will get in. But should he before Corey Dillion? I don't think so.

Corey Dillon and Jerome Bettis (who is in next year's crop) are very similar statistically.

This is a great question and looking back on the Pats 1996-2006 gets very interesting.

Drew Bledsoe looks real competitive with guys like Jim Kelly and Phil Simms. Drew also gets bonus points for being a man when replaced by Brady and for winning the AFC Championship game with that drive in 2001-02. If Drew's not the back up, the Dynasty never gets started. What if BB had to go to Rohan Davie in that game? Yikes! Drew deserves lots of love from these parts for the leadership and his stats. 1996 SB never happens without Drew and Curtis and Tuna and BB and Vinatieri and McGinest and all of 'em.

Drew Bledsoe has ring. But Rohan Davey has 2, & Damon Huard has 1, I don't think either are getting in either.

I mean with a ring "of his own" from an SB to which he led a team for a season and started the big game himself. he was clearly an important part of the 2001 season, esp vs. Steelers, but it was Tommy's team. Yes, one ring is not enough to put you in the HOF as QB or HC, unless it is accompanied by awesome stats.

Last edited:

Brady and Belichick are the only first ballot HOF'ers this dynasty has produced TO DATE. Everyone else is a bubble case who may get in one day or may not ever.

Rodney deserves to get in within a few ballots IMO, but it may take longer if ever because he's a safety and because of the reputation and the Hgh. Ditto Adam because he's a kicker and there are a few veterans in line ahead of him although none was instrumental in winning 4 rings. Law will probably get in eventually but because of the way his career wound down it will take some time. The jury is still out on Seymour and like Law it will depend on how he ends his career. Tedy won't make it because the stroke cut him short and as with Vrabel the blue collar perception hurt this team in the minds of pro bowl voters as it will with HOF mediot voters. I'm not sure Ted Washington gets in. 4 pro bowls and 1 all pro. Smerlas had 5/1 and he can't get a sniff.

Once you're eligible it becomes an endless numbers game for anyone who doesn't go in on the first ballot. Then each year you are up against a new class that includes other possible first ballot candidates plus all the guys who didn't make it on the first or first several ballots when they were first eligible. That will likely impact Dillon's chances.

It's not all about stats and it's not all about rings. A lot of it is perception, as is often the case. More safeties should be elected going forward because the media will want to enshrine guys like Lynch and Dawkins and Reed and Polamalu. That may eventually help Rodney get in. Other positions like CB are already backed up with more to first ballot talent to come over the next several seasons, and that may result in Law having a longer wait than he ever anticipated.

Drew is only going into Canton if he buys a ticket. Ditto Milloy and Willie. Doesn't mean they didn't have talent or put up some numbers or play well in spurts while here, just means they weren't dominant players over the long haul and leaving here underscored that.

I mean with a ring "of his own" from an SB to which he led a team for a season and started the big game himself. he was clearly an important part of the 2001 season, esp vs. Steelers, but it was Tommy's team. Yes, one ring is not enough to put you in the HOF as QB or HC, unless it is accompanied by awesome stats.

Drew Bledsoe is 6th all-time in completed passes and attempts, 7th all-time in passing yards and 13th in touchdowns. He holds the single season Patriots record in completions at 400 - 6th all time and 2 completions ahead of 2007 for Brady. Awesome enough?

Drew Bledsoe is 6th all-time in completed passes and attempts, 7th all-time in passing yards and 13th in touchdowns. He holds the single season Patriots record in completions at 400 - 6th all time and 2 completions ahead of 2007 for Brady. Awesome enough?
Accumultors dont tend to get HOF votes. Quality is required.
Whatever you think of Bledose, clearly he wasnt one of the best QBs of his genertion, which is and should be the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back