PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who dat dere gonna beat dem Saints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fair catch fryar

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As good as it feels to take the Jets out behind the wood shed, I am absolutely stoked for the game against the Saints. I actually like the Pats chances in this, but also expect it to be quite close. I didn't see any threads started yet so please merge if there already is one. What do you guys think?

On paper it's a game we shouldn't win. They're 10-0, and at home, we're 1-3 on the road, the one being in London and the 3 being awful losses that we easily could have won.

That said, hopefully the team that can hold a lead shows up and we don't blow this game.

I would rate my confidence on a scale of 1-10 as a 8. I think that it's important to get to a early lead and keep that lead. The Dolphins/Saints game this year is a great reminder that no lead is too big for the Saints to overcome. There defence is a little banged up right now so hopefully that's something we can take advantage of. I wonder how many times Brady will throw to whoever Randall Gay is covering?

I would rate my confidence on a scale of 1-10 as a 8. I think that it's important to get to a early lead and keep that lead. The Dolphins/Saints game this year is a great reminder that no lead is too big for the Saints to overcome. There defence is a little banged up right now so hopefully that's something we can take advantage of. I wonder how many times Brady will throw to whoever Randall Gay is covering?

I hope they shift Welker to Gay's coverage on every play. I expect a huge game from Wes, their only good LB is Vilma and Wes should be able to tear up the middle of the field underneath.

Last edited:
I hope they shift Welker to Gay's coverage on every play. I expect a huge game from Wes, their only good LB is Vilma and Wes should be able to tear up the middle of the field underneath.

I forgot about good old friend, Mr. Gay. Did Darren Sharper play this week?

I have a feeling that which ever team plays good in the second half is going to win and that is where we have had issues.

I know the Pats can score against the saints, can the defense come up with the crucial stops though, and will the offense wilt again in the second half, those are the questions...

I know the Pats can score against the saints, can the defense come up with the crucial stops though, and will the offense wilt again in the second half, those are the questions...

indeed. If we go into half time up 20 I still won't be comfortable. The Saints have been awesome in the 4th quarter this season and we've been crap in the second half of games.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Pats come out running the football in this game or depending on the closeness of the score, run it in the 2nd 1/2. Over the past few weeks, team with good running games have been running the ball well on them- in reasonably close games too.

As a whole, the Saint's passing D is outstanding, however it is fair to say that they really haven't faced a passing offense like the Pat's have.

If Morris is healthy and Maroney runs hard, might be the day to play keep-away from the Saint's offense as opposed to a quick-strike strategy...

My .02$

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb and say that the Pats come out running the football in this game or depending on the closeness of the score, run it in the 2nd 1/2. Over the past few weeks, team with good running games have been running the ball well on them- in reasonably close games too.
The Saints are allowing 4.6 YPC with is 26th/27th in the league. Their pass defense is a lot better although they have several DBs out. If we execute we can definitely move the ball. Our red zone offense and not turning the ball over (N.O. has created 29 turnovers and a ton of TDs) is probably the key.

I wouldn't say their pass defense is "great" I'd say they're opportunistic which hell that's good enough to carry them most likely to a Superbowl birth. Their run defense has been hurt by Ellis being out but I think he'll play Monday night. Looking at the Saints schedule they haven't played a great QB yet:

Stafford
Kolb
Edwards
Sanchize
Gump Jr
Henne
Ryan
Delhomme
Bulger
Freeman

So other than Eli they've faced no great QBs. Taking nothing away from their accomplishments so far but their secondary has not faced an offense or QB like we can throw out there. I expect a lot of points.

indeed. If we go into half time up 20 I still won't be comfortable. The Saints have been awesome in the 4th quarter this season and we've been crap in the second half of games.

Had the same feeling before the Indy game. It seems no matter how far NO is down, they come back. I think the two keys are our offensive line play (being healthy helps) and taking advantage of our opportunities. It's definitely going to take a near perfect game on our part.

Had the same feeling before the Indy game. It seems no matter how far NO is down, they come back. I think the two keys are our offensive line play (being healthy helps) and taking advantage of our opportunities. It's definitely going to take a near perfect game on our part.

It would be nice to see the Pats take a big lead, but with a team like NO, I'd rather see it be close the whole game because I think the Pats play better when they are forced to rather than sitting on a lead.

Obviously the Pats need to score, but I also think their defense will be just as key in the outcome of the game as well. Brees and NO have a good offense, and he spreads it around so we'll see how the Pats D plays. Brees is most definately no Sanchez, so I don't see them being able to capitalize on five turnovers in this one. Getting one or two and otherwise disrupting that offense is going to be extremely important, and I think they are capable of doing it. It's just a matter of actually going out and doing it for four quarters.

Should be an awesome game though!

Last edited:
fact that BB knows gregg williams's D well should help. but make no mistake. this saints offense is as good as the colts if not better and its going to be a dreaded matchup for our defense. Saints have too many offensive weapons - brees,thomas,colston,shockey to name a few. ...

fact that BB knows gregg williams's D well should help. but make no mistake. this saints offense is as good as the colts if not better and its going to be a dreaded matchup for our defense. Saints have too many offensive weapons - brees,thomas,colston,shockey to name a few. ...

Yeah. I stick to what I said yesterday, we gameplan to stop the run and try to get them into a shootout where we can match them point for point and just hope we can force Brees into a mistake. The big difference between the Colts and Saints is that the Saints can and will run the ball.

I really like the Pats in this spot. The Saints haven't really had a "big game" or been challenged since the NYG game, and in hindsight, the Giants at that time weren't nearly as good as everyone thought, as they went on a huge slide.

One of the biggest factors I think will be The Big Game Factor. These Saints have never been in the spotlight in a huge national game like this. 10-0. (Expect undefeated 16-0 chatter to heat up "if they can just beat the Patriots their schedule sets up real good for 16-0" etc.)Playing Brady & the Pats. Meanwhile, the NEP (for better or worse) will have just played the Game of the Year two weeks prior and will not be affected at all by the spotlight.

The only way we lose a game the rest of the year is we beat are selfs .I dont see any weakness .Maybe Running or getin the 3 and short .But if we can get fred and sammy back they will fix that . Are D is getin better.We need to saty healthy and we will be fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick