PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's next for 3rd round?

Trade one into next year for a 2nd

This sounds very likely.... I mean, how many rookies can be expected to make this team? I was expecting trades UP, not down for more picks.... I have to say I like the looks of 2 DB's coming outta the 2nd round....

Chung was a bigtime binky for me :cool:

Unger went to the Seahawks. Heck of a draft for them. I'm kinda jealous.

Louis Murphy: No thanks. Derrik Williams is a possibility. But just our various opinions, yes? :)

Just got off work and reviewing the picks I did not see Unger on my first look through. Murphy had some personal trouble druring last season I just like his size and speed.

I am going to get to work on a list of 2nd day draft targets and post it later tonight.

As for the 3rd round, I don't see the Patriots making all 4 picks as there just isn't room for a guaranteed 8 rookies on the roster in 2009-2010. I see the Patriots attempting to trade 1 or 2 of those picks in to 2010 2nd rounders. If they don't for future picks, I see the Patriots trading a 3rd for a veteran player.

With the 2-3 picks they do use, I'd like to see one of the field stretching TE's in Cook, Ingram, or Nelson. I didn't like these guys as 2nd rounders, but I do in the 3rd or later. I also like a guard prospect such as TJ Lang and I really like Jarron Gilbert at DE. I wouldn't be shocked if Stephen McGee was a Pats pick in round 3 either, especially if they can't move any picks to next year and have to take 4 players.

I think we'll take an interior lineman, a special teams demon, and probably use the rest taking athletes with injury issues, experience issues, small conference issues, etc. that could be slipped to the practice squad. Lang, Luigs, or Meredith is a good bet. Bruton or Burnett might be worth taking for the special teams ability. Chase Coffman is still out there, and could possibly start the year on PUP. Hell, unless I missed something, Jared Cook is still out there (I remember Pettigrew and Quinn. Any other TE's taken?), and his athleticism is worth taking is the third if Ben Watson was worth a first.

This scenario makes a lot of sense..... Throw a quality punter in there and we're all set, eh dryheat!

Pettigrew and Quinn were the only TE's selected so far DH...

Give me THomas from Arizona, Herman Johnson from LSU, Huber the Punter,

Bear Pascoe to keep up with drafting TE's.

The usual suspects:
OLB (Sidbury?)
OG/C (Lang?)
I also want a 5th WR that can fly and return kicks (Mike Wallace/ Mike Thomas/ Johnny Knox?)
I think DH is spot on w/ his TE selections.

Last edited:
1) There are over a dozen roster positions that could potentially be upgraded by rookies, and then there's the Practice Squad. We've only addessed four so far: SS, NT, CB and RT.
======================================

2) Some targeted positions and 10 targeted players

DE - Gilbert, Michael Johnson (or Sidbury)

TE - Cook (or Nelson, Ingram, Casey)

OG - Caldwell (or Robinson, Lang, Luigs)

LT - Meredith (or Cadogan, Murtha)

LB - Jason Williams (or Beckwith, Brinkley, Ellerbe, McKillop)

KR/WR - Wallace (or Thomas, Murphy, Thomas)

FS - Rashad Johnson, Vaughn

RB - Greene
==================================
3) We can trade up if needed. We are 9th to pick.

Brinkley / Mckillop

Duke Robinson / TJ Lang

Be happy with those

+ I think JT is Patriot -- for sure

This thread makes me happy. I'm not completely ready to let my draft schemes and unrealistic fantasies die just yet. *grin*

Love the lists you guys are generating--possibly because I agree with most of them. I think everyone is giving well-reasoned opinions, and getting a few of these players (or trading into next year) represents great value as well as improving the team, which is the primary purpose of the draft. All in all, I'm very happy with day one, and I'm glad I have fellow posters to keep me looking in the right direction for day two.

Good night, everyone. Have a great Sunday tomorrow! :cool:

Brinkley / Mckillop

Duke Robinson / TJ Lang

Be happy with those

This works for me.......

Okay, once again the Belichick LB bane foils the best laid plans of mice and draftniks. To the question of Day Two pass rushers:

As pass rushers, Michael Johnson and Lawrence Sidbury are the most athletic and dangerous pass "rushers." Johnson has a big hole in his run game and isn't as physical as we might like. Sidbury has a big hole playing in space and played at a the old 1-AA level.

There's some depth guys who can be added to the competition mix like Stryker Sulak, Henry Melton, Pierre Walters, Brandon Long, and Will Davis.

All my favorite ILBs are still available, so I won't mention any just to avoid that darned Belichick LB bane. :enranged:

Brinkley / Mckillop

Duke Robinson / TJ Lang

Be happy with those

Yeah I agree with you fully there.
I really hope Taylor is coming to us.
I have a feeling that one of Scott McKillop, Danelle Ellerby and Gerald McRath will be coming to New England and my choice would be McRath. I like him and according to reports he is a guy who can develop further, but I think Ellerby will be coming our way as he again is a BB type of guy who can play in more than just the inside spot.

Just to add I like Duke Robinson too and we need to make sure Brady is protected above all else imo. Hey even without a defence with Brady on offense we can outshoot any team anways. :)

1) There are over a dozen roster positions that could potentially be upgraded by rookies, and then there's the Practice Squad. We've only addessed four so far: SS, NT, CB and RT.
======================================

2) Some targeted positions and 10 targeted players

DE - Gilbert, Michael Johnson (or Sidbury)

TE - Cook (or Nelson, Ingram, Casey)

OG - Caldwell (or Robinson, Lang, Luigs)

LT - Meredith (or Cadogan, Murtha)

LB - Jason Williams (or Beckwith, Brinkley, Ellerbe, McKillop)

KR/WR - Wallace (or Thomas, Murphy, Thomas)

FS - Rashad Johnson, Vaughn

RB - Greene
==================================
3) We can trade up if needed. We are 9th to pick.

:agree::agree:

I must admit I had to work on this day and was not able to check in on the draft after the first round and the fact we kept trading down made me more anxious.

I really did not think MJ would make it to the second round but Al Davis will get this kid if he gets his chance at 71 two spots before us so I think a trade up would be key. Everybody wanted Peppers who never had played OLB now we can get a freak with the same size who we can groom to be an OLB. He is not going to be expensive in the third round IMO. I just think this kid is too good to pass up and was the first name to jump out that did not get picked. I will get killed for saying this so let it fly.

James Casey I think should be high on my list to get in the third round as well as he is just so versatile kinda my poor mans Barwin......maybe he can play OLB as well he does have reps at DE under his belt:D:D

Shannon Green is the other player I think we should target in the third round I just have this kid rated high on my board and hope the Pats feel the same way. Just look at him:

YouTube - Shonn Greene: College's Best Running Back

James Casey I think should be high on my list to get in the third round as well as he is just so versatile kinda my poor mans Barwin......maybe he can play OLB as well he does have reps at DE under his belt:D:D
[/url]

The fact that he is versatile makes him a very likely candidate.

Welcome to a bb draft...get use to it.

Well said:)

There is so much truth to what you just said but only Sebastian Vollmer had me scraching my head but the trade downs really did not as we got three great players. Only BB has looked at his tape and graded him as a guy who would fit but I have to do more homework on this guy as I though he was a total fifth round guy.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back