PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What you expect/want in the first round

If the following players are available at 14, what do you do? Here’s a hypothetical list: LT Broderick Jones, Georgia; WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State; and, CB Joey Porter Jr., Penn State.

This would be agonizing. I think the best pro is JSN. Brian Hartline says he’s the best WR he’s had.

But LT is a need crying out from the rooftops. We need to increase the Joneses. Dah!

But the player who may fit in best right away at another position of need is Porter.

Jeez, what would you do? It’s a conundrum.
In this particular scenario, I would take JSN. He's just the better prospect compared to B. Jones and I don't think Bill would even consider Joey Porter jr. for 2 reasons: 1, Bill never drafts guys from Penn State and 2, the political thing with Porters dad. So take JSN in round 1 then try to grab the best OT prospect in round 2 or 3.

If the following players are available at 14, what do you do? Here’s a hypothetical list: LT Broderick Jones, Georgia; WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State; and, CB Joey Porter Jr., Penn State.

This would be agonizing. I think the best pro is JSN. Brian Hartline says he’s the best WR he’s had.

But LT is a need crying out from the rooftops. We need to increase the Joneses. Dah!

But the player who may fit in best right away at another position of need is Porter.

Jeez, what would you do? It’s a conundrum.

Why try this mental gymnastics when the Combine nor Free Agency have occurred and BOTH of those will have a drastic affect on who goes where?

I don't what Joey Porter Jr or his head case of a father. Mainly because Porter would be a 1 and done on his contract if the Pats selected him. Unless something happened, Porter has hated the Patriots and views Belichick with disdain.

Might sound crazy but I don't think Dawand Jones is out of the question - even if it includes a slight trade down.

We should probably start thinking about who a possible reach could be at 14 or with a slight trade down in the 1st given the Pats always have a unique board. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Emmanuel Forbes or Darnell Washington was our pick in the first. Just feels Bill like.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that we could go defence at 14 though. It's much harder this year to know who the top 10 picks are so I don't quite know who will be available but I would be very happy with Nolan Smith or Lukas Van Ness if either was there.

I expect a legit player, game changer OT or CB. Personally my buinkie is Witherspoon.

I expect the Pats to pick at position of long term need (TE and Edge aren't really needs now but probably will be a year from now). They are unlikely to pick the player that is the consensus among draft analysts.

I expect two of OT, TE, WR, CB and Edge to be drafted in the first two rounds. I expect them to move up in the first to get someone they really like.

I want a game changer on offense in the 1st round. Whether it’s JSN, Flowers or Johnston. Flowers is my preference (because of the speed), but I’d be fine with either JSN or Johnston, they both will change the offense for the better.

Good offensive lineman can be found in the later rounds. In the 20 year Patriot’s Dynasty, They only drafted offensive linemen 3 times in the 1st round. Woody, Mankins & Solder. If you wanna count Wynn, 4 times, be he had no affect on the dynasty, since he was on IR when they won their last SB. The rest of the good linemen have been found in rounds 2-7, and even some UDFAs.

At 14, they need a game changer. They didn’t do enough in FA to help Mac. All they did was replace those who left, though I feel they got better players. But it’s not enough, they didn’t sign an explode receiver.

One of:
OT: Skoronski, Johnson Jr. or Jones
Edge: Lukas Van Ness
CB: Witherspoon, Gonzalez or Porter Jr.

One of:
OT: Skoronski, Johnson Jr. or Jones
Edge: Lukas Van Ness
CB: Witherspoon, Gonzalez or Porter Jr.

I really don't like LVN as a first round pick at all.

And I'm cooling on Gonzalez who gives me Jeff Okudah vibes. I'd be elated if we somehow ended up with Witherspoon though

I want a game changer on offense in the 1st round. Whether it’s JSN, Flowers or Johnston. Flowers is my preference (because of the speed), but I’d be fine with either JSN or Johnston, they both will change the offense for the better.

Good offensive lineman can be found in the later rounds. In the 20 year Patriot’s Dynasty, They only drafted offensive linemen 3 times in the 1st round. Woody, Mankins & Solder. If you wanna count Wynn, 4 times, be he had no affect on the dynasty, since he was on IR when they won their last SB. The rest of the good linemen have been found in rounds 2-7, and even some UDFAs.

At 14, they need a game changer. They didn’t do enough in FA to help Mac. All they did was replace those who left, though I feel they got better players. But it’s not enough, they didn’t sign an explode receiver.

I don’t think any of those WRs are game changers. There is now talk of Johnston falling out of the 1st.

Well, OK, the consensus seems to be that the Patriots will draft an OT at 14 or trade down. So this means they will trade UP for a, ah, safety or nose guard. Simple really...

Seriously though, Patriots drafts are almost impossible to predict; one thing that is pretty much guaranteed is that we will be disappointed, disillusioned, or disgusted. There will be a reach or two and some unknowns and surprises. In the old days, you can could be pretty sure that these surprises would turn out OK (Mankins for instance), but now that BB is in his dotage as a GM, I am not so sure.

Draft party anyone? Let's get all revved up just before the Patriots pick, and then get a bad case of the pickus-interruptus when they trade out of the first round.

Last edited:
I expect us to trade down in the first round! I want us to take wide receiver Addison of usc in the first round! He is a playmaker and can line up outside and in the slot!

My personal wish - Witherspoon, Nolan Smith, Bijan at 14. Banks, Flowers, Wright or Kincaid with a trade down.

It's a tough year to be in our position. Not a lot of blue chip guys, especially if a couple of the QBs fall to 14. I don't think the following will be there at 14 - Young, Stroud, Anderson, Carter, Wilson, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Skoronski, Johnson, Van Ness, Levis. That leaves Jones, Smith, Bijan, JSN, Richardson as possible options at 14.

I don't think JSN fits what we need and essentially plays the same role as JuJu. I also personally think Jones is a bit raw with high bust potential. He just doesn't strike me as a Pats guy at 14. That leaves Smith and Bijan, who both have the character we would covet, the play making skills but maybe not the positional need. If Smith and Bijan take the final two spots ahead of 14, I think we'll be in a bit of a bind if we can't trade down and forced to slightly reach for someone. Ideally we need the 4 QBs to go and hopefully someone takes JSN ahead of us.

Dalton Kincaid. If you want him, you gotta take him in the first.

Imagine if Aaron Hernandez were an inch taller, more athletic, and a good Lutheran boy from Los Vegas instead of a murderous punk from Bristol, Conn. Well, you get the point.

We need to dump Hunter Henry—I initially typed “Harry”—and his ridiculous 15.5 million salary. Not sure how much of that is guaranteed.

In the last ten years the Patriots have picked up exactly ONE of their first round picks 5th year options, and that one was a MISTAKE!

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? It's doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!

2012 was a Home Run with BOTH Chandler (traded for a bag of magic beans, still playing and single handedly beat the Pats last year) Jones and Hightower

After that, the wheels fall off...

2013: No First Rd pick, 2nd rounds, Jamie Collins (good), Aaron Dobson (awful)
2014: Dominque Easly (awful, cut before 4th year)
2015: Malcolm Brown (decent pick at 32, no 5th year option picked up)
2016: No First round pick, 2nd round pick Cyrus Jones (complete bust)
2017: No First or Second round picks, 3rd round picks Derek Rivers (meh) and Antonio Garcia (bust)
2018: Isaih Wynn (always hurt, the only one who had his 5th year option picked up, still unsigned), Sony Michel (not a bad pick at 32, traded after year 3 for a 2032 7th rd pick or something close to that).
2019: N'Keal Harry (bust) traded for a 7th round pick
2020: No First Round pick, 2nd Duggar (has been OK after taking 2 years to learn to play)
2021: Mac Jones (not sure he makes it to his 5th year option, kuddos for drafting Barmore in the 2nd.
2022: Strange (will be lucky to still be on the team after his 4th year)

There you have it, this is the first round talent brought in to help the greatest QB of all time! BTW in these same ten years, the TB Bucs have picked up the 5th year option on every one of their first round picks.

Anyone hoping that BB is going to pull off some great pick at 14, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you!

I expect that we will pick a top LT if one os available, including Skoronski (who has longer arms than Light).

Jack Colletto, Round 6 or UDFA. Knowing us, if we do want him, we'll take him in the 4th or something. But him.

I expect that we will pick a top LT if one os available, including Skoronski (who has longer arms than Light).
His arms are 1.25 inches shorter than Light's. 33.5 (Light) vs 32.25 (Skoronski).

His arms are 1.25 inches shorter than Light's. 33.5 (Light) vs 32.25 (Skoronski).
ty for the correction.

I must have misread a post. Obviously, I should have checked.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back