PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What was the Reaction to Brady's draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats were not only a few players away from getting to the SB championship game and winning it when they took Brady in the 6th.
As it turns out they were

The Pats were not only a few players away from getting to the SB championship game and winning it when they took Brady in the 6th.

Sure they were. They just needed a few castoffs like Antowain Smith, Phifer, Mike Compton, Bryan Cox and on and on. What a terrible example of a team loading up on talent in the draft and FA.

If BB wants to emulate that team, he would need to mismanage it until it was totally broke and couldn't afford players.

Obviously on here we have people who know more than BB and Mr Kraft, so Garapollo os obviously terrible, and the franchise have made a mistake....

OK, in all seriousness, the team have gone for a guy they think has huge potential, but is maybe under the radar in a weaker league. They feel a few years will see him really step up, and have more talent than QB's in higher profile leagues (doesn't mean they are right, just that is the logic)

It just got me thinking (and I know it isn't exactly the same)...were they people who were saying that TB12 was a waste of a draft pick, and that there were numerous other QB's who should have been taken? Did they think that we had Bledsoe so there was no real point in getting another QB?

Cheers folks!

I was happy they took a QB because I knew they would never win anything with Bledsoe. Brady seemed like a good prospect. I have no problem with the Garoppolo since the top WRs were gone by that pick.

Following the 2000 season, Huard was signed by the New England Patriots as a free agent. In the team's 2001 training camp, Huard competed with second-year Tom Brady and Michael Bishop for the backup job behind long-time starter Drew Bledsoe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_Huard#New_England_Patriots

Pardon my typo about 2002 when it should have been 2001, but my point still stands. John Friesz was the veteran backup when Brady came along, not Huard. The tale you remember clearly, you remember incorrectly. Damon Huard was in Miami at the time.

Huard didn't get to N.E. until 2002
Pardon my typo about 2002 when it should have been 2001, but my point still stands. John Friesz was the veteran backup when Brady came along, not Huard. The tale you remember clearly, you remember incorrectly. Damon Huard was in Miami at the time.

I was going to post that (didn't remember his name, just that he was from Seattle) but it's stupid anyway. I have no more clear recollection of 6th round picks immediately now than I had then. As we came to find out a little more about him (we mostly had to wait for newspapers back then) I related my remembrance of the three quarterbacks who might have replaced Bledsoe.

Yeah, not playing until 2002 is a pretty big typo in this case. Huard became Brady's backup and it was a pretty memorable issue at the time.

Last edited:
Brady was drafted PRIOR TO the 2000 season, Huard was signed FOLLOWING the 2000 season.

As I said, I did not study all our 6th round picks, nor do I now. I related my impressions as Brady became prominent and that was only when he passed Huard as the back up to Bledsoe.

I don't have a stack of old newspapers from that era, but I'm fairly sure Huard left training camp as the backup to Bledsoe, at least according to the newspapers. I believe Brady was the fourth QB the preceding year.

I also don't remember my exact reaction to drafting David Nugent, but considering he was a 300 lb. DT and we had the recently highest paid QB in football, it was likely more favorable than a 6th rounder spent on a QB, if I'm being honest.

I had a life back then so I can't remember. If it happened now I could tell you in great detail 20 years later.

Huard didn't get to N.E. until 2002

From the penultimate resource on all things Factual and True: the Wikipedia. :)

Following the 2000 season, Huard was signed by the New England Patriots as a free agent. In the team's 2001 training camp, Huard competed with second-year Tom Brady and Michael Bishop for the backup job behind long-time starter Drew Bledsoe; Brady would become the team's second quarterback and Huard the third for the start of the season. When Bledsoe was injured in Week 2, Brady became the Patriots' starter for the remainder of the season, while Huard was the backup until Bledsoe returned in Week 10. Huard, as the third quarterback, won his first Super Bowl ring in February 2002 with a Patriots win over the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Brady was a 6th round pick, and only needed to beat out Bishop and become Bledsoe's packup to justify that selection. I remember being puzzled by it, but at that point you're giving these guys a 50/50 shot to even make the roster, so complaining that a pick was wasted is nearly pointless.

As it turns out they were
False

Brady was drafted in 2000 the season the Pats went 5 - 11.

In 2001, the following season the Pats added 25 Free Agents plus Seymour and Light. Beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. So, youre wrong again, but its ok because you only started following the team after 2001.

Sure they were. They just needed a few castoffs like Antowain Smith, Phifer, Mike Compton, Bryan Cox and on and on. What a terrible example of a team loading up on talent in the draft and FA.

If BB wants to emulate that team, he would need to mismanage it until it was totally broke and couldn't afford players.
No they were not.

The 2000 team went 5 - 11. BB cleaned house in 2001 adding 20+ free agents.

After getting to see him here for all these years, I can understand why you followed him here. He's an impressive young man. He's a great QB too.

Yeah, though I think I've mentioned a few times now that I only started watching the Patriots in hopes of watching Brady maybe play in the preseason or an NFL game or two before he got cut and became an insurance salesman. Kinda missed that one by a bit. :oops:

Yes, that's how you try to evaluate unknown talents. You compare and contrast.

How else would you evaluate a new quarterback on the same team as the current quarterback?

The 2 situations could not be more different.

Brady cost a throw away draft pick if he didnt pan out. Nobody even Belichick expected Brady to be this good or he would not have waited until round 6. If Brady was the 1sy overall pick in 2000 draft nobody would say that he was drafted too high.

Jimmy G is expected to be Bradys replacement and it cost a high pick that could have been used to improve this team right now.

The 2 situations could not be more different.

Brady cost a throw away draft pick if he didnt pan out. Nobody even Belichick expected Brady to be this good or he would not have waited until round 6. If Brady was the 1sy overall pick in 2000 draft nobody would say that he was drafted too high.

Jimmy G is expected to be Bradys replacement and it cost a high pick that could have been used to improve this team right now.

As others mentioned, Broncos fans probably felt likewise when they spent a 2nd on Brock Osweiler after signing Peyton Manning. Eagles fans probably felt the same way after spending a 3rd on Nick Foles after signing Michael Vick to a 6-year, $100M deal. Or Seahawks fans when spending a 3rd on Russell Wilson after signing Matt Flynn to a 3-year, $26M deal. Or Packers fans after spending a 1st on Aaron Rodgers with Brett Favre still around.

Nobody wants to spend a draft pick on a back-up QB, partly because nobody wants to see the back-up QB. But I'd rather get the right guy a year early than scramble to find the guy a year late.

Quality QBs aren't really easy to find, and I'm not sure why you think we can just get a Brady replacement at any time in the future whenever we're ready. Even excellent drafting teams like the Packers (Brian Brohm in the 2nd couldn't beat out 7th-rounder Matt Flynn) and Ravens (trade back into the 1st round to select Kyle Boller) miss on QB selections.

If Jimmy is the right kid, then I'm glad we got him, even if it's a bit early. If he's not, then it doesn't matter when we drafted him (early, late, whatever). But this isn't Madden; you can't easily replace Pro Bowl QBs, especially while trying to compete for championships and picking near the back of every round.

Last edited:
Obviously on here we have people who know more than BB and Mr Kraft, so Garapollo os obviously terrible, and the franchise have made a mistake....

OK, in all seriousness, the team have gone for a guy they think has huge potential, but is maybe under the radar in a weaker league. They feel a few years will see him really step up, and have more talent than QB's in higher profile leagues (doesn't mean they are right, just that is the logic)

It just got me thinking (and I know it isn't exactly the same)...were they people who were saying that TB12 was a waste of a draft pick, and that there were numerous other QB's who should have been taken? Did they think that we had Bledsoe so there was no real point in getting another QB?

Cheers folks!

No reaction. 6th round pick and even after 1 season Belichick signed Bledsoe to a 10 yr $100 million contract - so even though Brady had moved up the depth chart in Year 2 its not like they were dumping Bledsoe (though by Year 2 I think Belichick did see the promise we know today)

While I give BB the benefit of the doubt, people would NOT have been happy to see the team bypass needs to take a 3rd string (in Brady's case 4th) QB in the 2nd even if it were Brady. I'm almost hoping this guy does well enough to cut Mallett so they don't waste a roster spot

False

Brady was drafted in 2000 the season the Pats went 5 - 11.

In 2001, the following season the Pats added 25 Free Agents plus Seymour and Light. Beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. So, youre wrong again, but its ok because you only started following the team after 2001.
They won the SB, don't you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents