PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What was it like where you were?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the annual neighborhood blowout party an hour before the game for food drink and socializing but then went home with the wife and kids before kickoff. I don't like watching Patriot playoff games in huge gatherings of casual fans because I want to focus on the game.

At halftime a couple of neighbors rang the bell and came in to watch the game (they wanted to focus too). After the Kearse catch you could've heard a pin drop and then 5 minutes later we erupted. We went back to the party for a while to celebrate with the crowd and then I went back home and watched post game stuff until 2 AM.

Thank God I took Monday off

I was in a dorm room about half an hour north of New York City. Enemy territory, a room full of Giants fans. The room would erupt in cheers anytime Seattle made a big play. After the Kearse catch, I was just sitting silently, thinking "OK, hold on for four plays", trying to convince myself that things would be alright, although I knew deep down that we were, in all likelihood, going to lose. After Lynch brought it down to the one, a feeling of dread set in. Not again.

Then, it happened. Initially, I didn't think that Butler had picked it off, and thought for some reason that Lockette's flailing right hand was the ball. After a second, it hit me. I don't think I've ever jumped so high in the air, or yelled so loud. No one else in the room was very happy. I immediately called up my dad, who was back in MA, and had gotten me into football back when I was seven years old. "They won the ****ing Super Bowl!", I yelled, and then called him back after the fight and kneel down. Holy ****, it was a great night.

We were in Section 407, 2nd row upper level, on the 3 yard line on the winning INT side. My section was almost all Seattle fans, with a mix of impartial fans. For a while, I was the only one wearing Pats gear in the section. Right before kick-off, a father/son combo with Patriots gear sits down right in front of me. So at least we have 2 other fans with us.

3rd quarter obviously sucked. The Seattle fans were very friendly and didn't talk any trash to me, but it still sucked to hear them celebrate (they even had Seahawks chants going in the bathroom). When Pats took the lead, I was excited but also thinking "hope this isn't a tease".

When the Kearse catch happened, I was livid. I was cursing and jumping up and down. I couldn't believe this was happening again. The pain of a close loss when you are at the game would be very tough to get over.

Then the pick happened. Butler's back was to me, so I didn't see he had the ball. The father/son duo in front of me started going nuts and jumping. All I remember screaming was "did it hit the ground?!". I didn't want to get excited until I knew it was officially a pick. Then I heard the confirmation and started screaming and going nuts. The Seattle fan sitting next to me (who I'd been chatting with all game) immediately got up and left without saying a word to me (by the way, Seattle fans were great all weekend to us).

We just sat there and took a bunch of pictures during the celebration. It was insane. Ridiculous. A memory I will always savor.

My brother passed away in an accident the day after Christmas - it's been a tough month. I watched at my folk's house with a bunch of his close friends and people who love him and my family. We had a ton of people in the garage with a nice hot wood stove going and the game blaring and plenty of damn good food.

Winning the game obviously doesn't change what's happened, but it felt pretty amazing and I'll always remember last night.
Man, I am so sorry. I understand how even silly trivial things can make someone feel better in the wake of a tragedy. I hope this win has been a good distraction for you and the family. My condolences to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST