PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the 2008 Team Without the Draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, the draft should be made with the then current squad as a backdrop.
I have assumed the resigning of the ERFA's and RFA's and of Moss and either Bruschi or Seau. I have also assumed the restructure of Colvin, Eckel, Washingtone and Stallworth.

Where are weaknesses? It would seem that priorities for the first three rounds of the draft are corner and corner.
=======================================
OFFENSE (25) ALL SET, LET'S PLAY
QB 3 Brady, Gutierrez, Cassell
RB 5 Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Evans, Eckel
WR 5 Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Jackson, Washington
TE 3 Brady, Watson, Thomas
OL 9 Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur
Britt, Hochstein, Yates, O'Callaghan
------------------------------------------------
DEFENSE (25) HOBBS AND WHO?
DL 7 Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright, Smith, Moore
LB 7 Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi/Seau, Alexander, Woods, Lua
CB 5 Hobbs, Gay/fa, Scott, Richardson, Spann
S 6 Harrison,Sanders,Meriweather,Andrews,Ventrone,Wilson/fa
-----------------
SPEC (3) Gostkowski, Hanson, Paxton/fa

I have assumed the resigning of the ERFA's and RFA's and of Moss and either Bruschi or Seau. I have also assumed the restructure of Colvin, Eckel, Washingtone and Stallworth.

Where are weaknesses? It would seem that priorities for the first three rounds of the draft are corner and corner.
=======================================
OFFENSE (25) ALL SET, LET'S PLAY
QB 3 Brady, Gutierrez, Cassell
RB 5 Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Evans, Eckel
WR 5 Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Jackson, Washington
TE 3 Brady, Watson, Thomas
OL 9 Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur
Britt, Hochstein, Yates, O'Callaghan
------------------------------------------------
DEFENSE (25) HOBBS AND WHO?
DL 7 Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright, Smith, Moore
LB 7 Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi/Seau, Alexander, Woods, Lua
CB 5 Hobbs, Gay/fa, Scott, Richardson, Spann
S 6 Harrison,Sanders,Meriweather,Andrews,Ventrone,Wilson/fa
-----------------
SPEC (3) Gostkowski, Hanson, Paxton/fa

Agree about the offense. Once we sign Moss we're set. Only tweak we might see is release of Stallworth if we can extend Gaffney. Not sure we're going to restructure Stallworth. Or, if he even would want to. Gaffney should come cheaper and save us a few bucks to sign a veteran ilb. I think they will both come back. But, two vets to keep an eye on are K.Faulk and K.Brady. If either walks, I wouldn't mind using an early(not first) pick to replace them.

Needs for 08 are correct. 2 corners. But, sitting at nr. 7. If there is an elite pass-rusher available. We will probably take him. Why? They cost a lot of money and are hard to find. Vrabel and Colvin aren't going to fall off the face of the earth this year. But, Colvin is in his last year and might need a replacement for 09. I know you mentioned you think we'll restructure him. But, depth as a pass-rushing position is a must. I think that is the reason our defense is struggling to get to the qb late in the season and in some of these games. Vrabel/AD play every play. Then, have to crank it up on 3rd down. Not easy to do. Colvin coming back and a young stud should help there. Mike Wright has been missed too. He always seemed to come up with a clutch play. J.Green only backup DL seeing the field. I can't see us picking in the Top 10 until after Brady retires. It's not easy. But, a little easier to find corners in later rounds.

I think every year teams try to have a full roster before the draft, this allows them to take the BPA and improve depth through the draft.

It all sounds good but assuming that every single player is going to take a pay decrease to play on the Pats is asking for a lot.

Can you walk through what you think the cap look like with all these moves?

Currently the pats have about 10M in space.
http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html

Last edited:
I don't expect Stallworth back as our #4 WR behind Gaffney, who we should be able to sign for a far better pricetag. Just not good use of cap space. I still want to see Chad compete with Washington for that role.

And if the Pats really do go 19-0, I expect to lose two out of three from Seau, Bruschi and Harrison. Mentally, if you're already thinking Retirement, why not go out on top? It doesn't get any better than making History.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes