PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What I like about Willis

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
LB Patrick Willis.... He's already broken up 6 passes this season, an impressive number. That's twice as many as Hawk had all last season, but in half the games, 5 more than DQwell Jackson had last season. As a sophomore he registered 5 sacks, demonstrating he can rush the passer if called on; He led the SEC in tackles the last two seasons, demonstrating toughness, durability, range and leadership (and a bad team); All this suggests he's a three down LBer. He's listed at 6'2'', 240 lbs, although some say he weighs less than that. If Willis can play at 240+, he seems like a real ILB prospect for the 3-4. 4-3 teams normally don't draft for MLBs in the 1st rd, they look for playmaking WOLBs. Of the other 3-4 teams, I could see Pitt or SD taking him late in rd 1. The other 3-4 teams have too many greater needs and draft too high to justify an ILB IMO. If the Pats could leave rd 1 with Willis and Laron Landry that would be a coup.

Last edited:
hes good in underneath coverage(TE,RB) aswell..fast aswell. id take him

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
LB Patrick Willis.... He's already broken up 6 passes this season, an impressive number. That's twice as many as Hawk had all last season, but in half the games, 5 more than DQwell Jackson had last season. As a sophomore he registered 5 sacks, demonstrating he can rush the passer if called on; He led the SEC in tackles the last two seasons, demonstrating toughness, durability, range and leadership (and a bad team); All this suggests he's a three down LBer. He's listed at 6'2'', 240 lbs, although some say he weighs less than that. If Willis can play at 240+, he seems like a real ILB prospect for the 3-4. 4-3 teams normally don't draft for MLBs in the 1st rd, they look for playmaking WOLBs. Of the other 3-4 teams, I could see Pitt or SD taking him late in rd 1. The other 3-4 teams have too many greater needs and draft too high to justify an ILB IMO. If the Pats could leave rd 1 with Willis and Laron Landry that would be a coup.
Sounds interesting, SEC narrows it down a bit, any more clues where I might find him?

Box_O_Rocks said:
Sounds interesting, SEC narrows it down a bit, any more clues where I might find him?

ole miss :)

Remix 6 said:
The Manning influence on the institution is a bit scary, but I'll give him a look.

This is what is so tough for me at this time of year! Its so hard to judge who and where players will finally end up at draft time. I'm just hoping somehow Seattle TANKS and loses a bunch of games and that pick moves closer to 20. As of now, i'd love to take Willis and Landry in RD 1, but that could and probably will change come March/April.

PonyExpress said:

I love Willis in round 1. I hope he's within the Patriots range with the Seattle Pick (assuming 19-25). I'm guessing he'll be off the board by the time the Pats pick again at No. 32.

In another thread instincts among ILBs and MLBS was discussed and this guy's name should have been brought up there. Superor instincts for the game. He has a nose for the ball and takes very few false steps. Really good at reading the QB.
I have not done an Ole Miss game, but I think just from looking at the helmets in the huddle, that 6'2" might be a bit generous.
I'd really like to see how he runs.
I heard he also plays ST. What an extra added bonus.

To quote gary coldman-
What you talking about willis?....
He has to be on the pats radar but as already been mentioned he's more like
6-1(in shoes) and 230(with his pants full of quarters).
Not saying the pats will pass on him but it will be a departure from their normal LB profile.

Maybe he can play more of a safety type position. BB could think of something to take advantage of his abilities.

To quote gary coldman-
What you talking about willis?....
He has to be on the pats radar but as already been mentioned he's more like
6-1(in shoes) and 230(with his pants full of quarters).
Not saying the pats will pass on him but it will be a departure from their normal LB profile.

I have seen Willis listed at 6'1.5" 230 lbs minimum, and 6'2'' 240 maximum. I haven't found anything shorter/less anywhere. Do you have a source?

Last edited:
I have seen Willis listed at 6'1.5" 230 lbs minimum, and 6'2'' 240 maximum. I haven't found anything shorter/less anywhere. Do you have a source?

No,No definative source,I'm not down on the kid he reminds me in some ways of Vilma from the jets or even tatupu from the seahawks.
If he becomes the player those two our, it's high praise but that's not what the pats look for in a lb.
I think BB would rather draft Dan bazuin from CM(as an example) and turn him into a Lb,than draft a lb with questionable size.
I've only seen Willis a few times, but a big question in drafting is
A)How much weight can a player gain-and still keep speed?
B)How much weight can a player lose too gain speed?
BB/Pioli like the bigger guy's,and get them to lose weight.

Makes sense-put extra mass on a little guy,adds more stress on bones,tendons,ligaments leads to injury's.
Take a big guy and make him lose weight,his frame is used to carrying more weight so it's easier for his body to adjust,which usually lends itself to less injury's.

Sorry to get off topic but even at 6-2,240,(and I think he's smaller)
I don't think willis has the frame pats are interested in-JMHO

You could very well be right. We'll find out who's who at the Senior Bowl. Troy Smith (my #1 QB) will probably be 5'9'' or something.;)

You could very well be right. We'll find out who's who at the Senior Bowl. Troy Smith (my #1 QB) will probably be 5'9'' or something.;)

Hate to break it to you,My SOURCE tells me flutie can eat flutie flakes off the top of troy smith's head while sitting down:p

Last edited:
I've been on the field with Willis and I think 6'1" is about right as far as his height. I also think that 230 plus is also accurate. And for what's it's worth he has a strong firm handshake.

I think he has superior instincts as an ILB and he is decent enough in coverage to be considered a 3 down ILB.
However after examing the Ole Miss defense, I question whether he is intelligent enough to play in the Pats defense right away.

I've been on the field with Willis and I think 6'1" is about right as far as his height. I also think that 230 plus is also accurate. And for what's it's worth he has a strong firm handshake.

I think he has superior instincts as an ILB and he is decent enough in coverage to be considered a 3 down ILB.
However after examing the Ole Miss defense, I question whether he is intelligent enough to play in the Pats defense right away.

If you've met the man and say 6-1 230 ,6-1 230 it is.
Definetly a position we need to infuse with youth,The intelligence thing will just take reps.
Even Beisel who had been in the league awhile couldn't get it,couldn't expect any rookie to get it right away either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents