PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What I hate about You! Mocking Mocks- O

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBamsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Yesterday I posted Todd McShay's 7- round mock draft. The reviews were underwhelming from the posters who added comments. As we all have an idea that we know better than these national pundits when it comes to our Pats, I thought a better way to express these thoughts would be a systematic teardown. So the idea of this thread was to comment on any Pats selection made by these "experts". Please include links to the mocks in question. So that it doesn't become a mega-thread, this tread will be limited to 1st day choices on offense (another will be started on defensive choices).

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34651

I'm not keen on a 1st day RB unless they bring PR/KR skills to the mix, I don't see spending a #1 on a Practice Squad player since NE's aging veterans still have a leg up on the rookies.

Stovall is a decent WR who could have a great career, but with the WR corps as fragile as it currently is, Mike Hass is comparable to David Givens and has the route running skills and hands to complement Deion's game just like D-Giv did.

Brandon Williams is a productive WR and an excellent pick for PR/KR duty, but I did find one site where it was reported he let his frustration about not being thrown to in the Shrine Game boil over into a sideline whine-a-thon. Wille Reid moved ahead of him on my board based on that.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34653

Same same for 1st round RB.

Hagan is beloved by LetsGoPats and others who have watched him in the regular season, all I can say is I watched his Senior Bowl practices and game, plus his Combine and came away feeling he was inconsistent in those pressure situations against arguably top level talent. I need a more consistent WR in the second, right Bethel?

This pick I have seen a couple of times, and it worries me:

http://www.condraft.com/mock.php?r=1

Demetrius Williams
WR | (6'1", 197, 4.5) | OREGON

Scouts Grade: 88
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Career Totals Receiving Rushing
SEASON REC YDS AVG TD ATT YDS AVG TD
2005 59 1059 17.9 10 9 58 6.4 1
2004 47 593 12.6 2 1 6 6.0 0
2003 51 935 18.3 8 2 12 6.0 0
2002 5 73 14.6 0 0 0 0.0 0
· View full player card
Strengths: Has adequate-to-good height and speed. Is quick and reaches top-speed in a hurry. A vertical threat who actually plays faster than his 40-speed would indicate. He shows very good initial burst and will drive defenders off the ball. He shows burst when chasing down the deep ball in the air and he adjusts very well to it. He has above average hands and shows the ability to consistently catch over his head. He's at his best working against man-coverage. He is quick after the catch and will make the first defender miss more often than not. He lacks great elusiveness but he shows a second-gear if he catches a crease after the catch.

Weaknesses: Has had durability issues that have slowed him. He has decent bulk but could stand to get bigger and stronger. He possesses adequate-to-good speed but not elite speed. He has been too inconsistent. Will disappear in some games. Seems to be a WR that needs to get involved early on or else he'll become frustrated. He must improve his consistency and feel reading coverages. He doesn't show a great feel for finding soft spots in zone coverage. He lacks crispness as route runner and needs to gear down too much before getting into his breaks. He gets sloppy at times and rounds off his routes. His effort as a blocker is inconsistent.

Overall: Williams redshirted in 2001 and played a backup role as a redshirt freshman in 2002. He took over as a fulltime starter in 2003, finishing with 51 receptions for 935 yards and eight TDs. As a junior in 2004, Williams finished with 47 receptions for 593 yards and two TDs. As a senior in 2005, Williams finished with 1,059 yards and 10 touchdowns on 59 receptions. Williams was hampered by a nagging turf toe injury in 2004, which helps to explain his dip in production. Healthy as a senior in 2005, Williams re-emerged as a consistent and dangerous threat. Williams' lack of elite bulk and top-end speed will cause him to slip a bit on draft day. He also needs to improve his crispness as a route runner and become more consistent with his concentration. However, Williams has the height, agility, body control and playmaking skills to emerge as a starting receiver in the NFL. He has too many red flags and limitations to consider in the first two rounds, but Williams warrants third round consideration in the 2006 draft.

The description is from Scouts Inc.. A second rounder? When he had a very good quarterback & pro style offence to work in? He reminds me of Bethel w/ out the speed (and what is left...).

Last edited:
SamBamsFan said:
This pick I have seen a couple of times, and it worries me:

http://www.condraft.com/mock.php?r=1

Demetrius Williams
WR | (6'1", 197, 4.5) | OREGON

Scouts Grade: 88
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Career Totals Receiving Rushing
SEASON REC YDS AVG TD ATT YDS AVG TD
2005 59 1059 17.9 10 9 58 6.4 1
2004 47 593 12.6 2 1 6 6.0 0
2003 51 935 18.3 8 2 12 6.0 0
2002 5 73 14.6 0 0 0 0.0 0
· View full player card
Strengths: Has adequate-to-good height and speed. Is quick and reaches top-speed in a hurry. A vertical threat who actually plays faster than his 40-speed would indicate. He shows very good initial burst and will drive defenders off the ball. He shows burst when chasing down the deep ball in the air and he adjusts very well to it. He has above average hands and shows the ability to consistently catch over his head. He's at his best working against man-coverage. He is quick after the catch and will make the first defender miss more often than not. He lacks great elusiveness but he shows a second-gear if he catches a crease after the catch.

Weaknesses: Has had durability issues that have slowed him. He has decent bulk but could stand to get bigger and stronger. He possesses adequate-to-good speed but not elite speed. He has been too inconsistent. Will disappear in some games. Seems to be a WR that needs to get involved early on or else he'll become frustrated. He must improve his consistency and feel reading coverages. He doesn't show a great feel for finding soft spots in zone coverage. He lacks crispness as route runner and needs to gear down too much before getting into his breaks. He gets sloppy at times and rounds off his routes. His effort as a blocker is inconsistent.

Overall: Williams redshirted in 2001 and played a backup role as a redshirt freshman in 2002. He took over as a fulltime starter in 2003, finishing with 51 receptions for 935 yards and eight TDs. As a junior in 2004, Williams finished with 47 receptions for 593 yards and two TDs. As a senior in 2005, Williams finished with 1,059 yards and 10 touchdowns on 59 receptions. Williams was hampered by a nagging turf toe injury in 2004, which helps to explain his dip in production. Healthy as a senior in 2005, Williams re-emerged as a consistent and dangerous threat. Williams' lack of elite bulk and top-end speed will cause him to slip a bit on draft day. He also needs to improve his crispness as a route runner and become more consistent with his concentration. However, Williams has the height, agility, body control and playmaking skills to emerge as a starting receiver in the NFL. He has too many red flags and limitations to consider in the first two rounds, but Williams warrants third round consideration in the 2006 draft.

The description is from Scouts Inc.. A second rounder? When he had a very good quarterback & pro style offence to work in? He reminds me of Bethel w/ out the speed (and what is left...).
He came off my board when he alligator-armed in the Senior Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes