PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts....its my party and I'll rant if I want to....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another myth vs reality thing the media is trying to sell us is the impression they give that when the Pats and Giants first met, the Giants were missing several key players and not playing well. Now they are healthy and on a hot streak. The reality the Giants were on a hot streak at the time they came to Gillette, winning 4 of the last 5 and left it winning 5 out of 6. It was AFTER leaving Foxboro that the Giants started to go into their mid-season funk.

Beware mediots using this myth to strengthen their pro Giants position

One thing's for sure, whoever wins this one will be saying, "no one thought we could do this. No one gave us a chance."

hate that.

I dont think either of them have a chance. First tie is SB history? (after 5 OT) lol

jk. Go Pats

"Handled" Borgy? Are you sh!tting me. At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but I guess being viewed as the village contrarian is more important that intellectual integrity. "Handled"? :rolleyes:

Did you forget the fact that the Pats had close to a 100 more passing yds, DESPITE turning the ball over 4 times. "Handled"?

Did you forget that the "almighty" Giant defense allowed the Pats over 450 yds of offense, again, despite the 4 turnovers "Handled"

Did you forget that "unstoppable" Giants pass rush managed hold Brady to "only" 342 yds. "Handled"?

Did you forget that the Giants scored MOST of its points AFTER the Pats lost BOTH their starting safeties mid game, and Spikes as well. "Handled"?

Did you forget that on BOTH of the Giants last 2 scoring drives were helped by 2 key PI calls, one of which was very questionable, the other a horrid play by Sergio Brown on a ball that was never going to be caught. - Gifts "Handled"?

Now I'm not saying that the Giants didn't deserve to win that game - To paraphrase BB, "they made more plays that we did". BUT, Borg......HANDLED?. Hardly, not even close. That game was close fought, tight game, won by the team that made more plays on THAT particular day. Nothing is likely to change a week from Sunday.

HANDLED? :roleyes:

Game, set, match and STILL world champion......Patfanken!

This is as even a SB matchup as you'll see. I AM surprised the Pats are 3 point favorites. I would have expected Giants by a point or two.

This game could go either way - - but anyone using the word "handled" regarding the Giants victory in Foxboro this year is seriously off.

BTW, BB is chummy with Mike Shanahan. Now there is something to look at. The pathetic Skins HANDLED the Giants this year. I'd pull up a chair for Shanny.

Last edited:
Additionally I would argue that the 2 that were brought back never would have been attempted if the flag had not been thrown prior to the attempts. Those were "freebies" as I remember things. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

You're correct about the second non-INT, as that was after an encroachment flag came out, and Brady took a gamble.

The first INT, Brady threw the ball far before it bounced of Edelman after he was contacted.

What really rattles me is not so much the fact, that the mediots is hyping this teams, but that soo many Pats fans, on this board and kin other places, are even upstaging them.

We are a very good team, playing an above average team, who nheeded an stupified opposing PR fumbling twice to even make the SB.

Yes they are on a hot streak, yes they battled us to a draw last time we played, but the worst proposition for this game should be, that its a 50/50 thing, for a hometown fan nonetheless.

All the supposed flwas of this trams are there, but they are not bigger, than the flaws of all other 32 teams, or the flaws on the 01 or 03 Pats. or the 05 Steelers.

The Great Eli Manning had the fewest passing yards of any NFL QB but Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow and Tyler Palko against the Pats defense.

This teanm has a very good chance to win the SB and we should be a bit ancious, as the other team, knows there pigskins too, but generally we should enjoy this.

"Handled" Borgy? Are you sh!tting me. At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but I guess being viewed as the village contrarian is more important that intellectual integrity. "Handled"? :rolleyes:

Did you forget the fact that the Pats had close to a 100 more passing yds, DESPITE turning the ball over 4 times. "Handled"?

Did you forget that the "almighty" Giant defense allowed the Pats over 450 yds of offense, again, despite the 4 turnovers "Handled"

Did you forget that "unstoppable" Giants pass rush managed hold Brady to "only" 342 yds. "Handled"?

Did you forget that the Giants scored MOST of its points AFTER the Pats lost BOTH their starting safeties mid game, and Spikes as well. "Handled"?

Did you forget that on BOTH of the Giants last 2 scoring drives were helped by 2 key PI calls, one of which was very questionable, the other a horrid play by Sergio Brown on a ball that was never going to be caught. - Gifts "Handled"?

Now I'm not saying that the Giants didn't deserve to win that game - To paraphrase BB, "they made more plays that we did". BUT, Borg......HANDLED?. Hardly, not even close. That game was close fought, tight game, won by the team that made more plays on THAT particular day. Nothing is likely to change a week from Sunday.

HANDLED? :roleyes:

The homer meter is very high.

These are the things I love best about the homer fan base:

1)When the homer team gives up big yds with the lead...the "yards don't matter" theme is all that you hear......but.......when the homer team is playing catchup accumulating yds, these yards prove that the homer team is a real force

2)When the homer team creates turnovers, this is proof of a superior team......but.....when a homer team coughs up the ball, they simply gave it away. No credit given to the nonhomer team for creating the turnover

3) Has there ever been a homer thread where the term "questionable call" doesn't get attached after a loss.

Sure, "handled" may be too strong a term...how about dictated. The Giants dictated how this game was played, and the Pats were in reaction mode. My memory of this game was that the Giants were the dominant team.
So back to the OP......sure...I easily see why the Experts are sidling up to the Giants

And PS.....why do you label someone that sees logic behind the "expert" arguement a contrarian. Is this thread only for koolaid drinkers. Lastly...."Intellectual integrity"???? I see. Any argument you make has intellectual integrity but if I use a simple fact like...the Giants coming into unbeaten Foxborough and marching out with a victory...I lack intellectual integrity. Good stuff as always.

Last edited:
Sorry about the obscure reference to a rock song from the early 60's, but try as I might, I'm getting ticked off with the so called “experts” early analysis of this game. We may be the early favorites according to Vegas, but that just a factor of money. The expert analysis is clearly leaning toward the Giants.

Now the fact that the mediots seem to favor the Giants doesn't piss me off. Why would it? First off, no likes being the underdog more than I. And second, I know that you can make a very compelling case for the Giants to win this game. The fact that they are favoring them doesn't bother me in the least. What is aggravating me no end is the gross inaccuracies and faulty logic that they are using in making their predictions. Here are just a few “for examples”

MEDIA - The Giants get the edge because Brady is coming off a bad game, while Eli is on a 5 game hot streak

REALITY – No one is doubting that Eli is a having his best year as a pro, and is quickly coming out of his brother's shadow, However I find incomprehensible that these guys seem to ignore that Eli is coming off a game were he BARELY completed 50% of his passes, while in an admitted poor game Brady managed to complete 61%

MEDIA – Brady is coming off a game where he threw 2 picks and had 2 more which were called back because of penalties. While Eli put up over 60 passes without a pick

REALITY - While they weren't great throws, both of Brady's picks were absolutely fantastic plays by the Ravens. 9 times out of 10 NEITHER of those balls end up being caught. And as to the 2 that were called back, one was ball that bounced off of Welker's chest, a perfect pass, and a legit flag. The other was a heave, when Brady knew he had a free play.

But here's what I don't understand what the media ignores. In the NFCCG Eli had one throw that was just flat out dropped, and TWO that were in the hands of the defender, only to knocked out by their own man. If he didn't have his brother's horseshoe up his ass, Eli easily could have had 3 picks. Yet somehow it never gets mentioned or even considered in the comparison

MEDIA – The biggest advantage for the Giants is the pressure they will surely bring from their defensive front 4 -

REALITY- This completely ignores that fact that the Pats have one of the best OL's in the league. They ignore that they have 2 first team all pros on the the line, and another guy who should be. They ignore that the Pats put up fantastic numbers on offense against some of the best pass rush teams in the league.

And while they are over hyping the Giants DL, and underestimating the Pats OL , they are completely ignoring some serious issues about the Giants OL. Why aren't they being questioned. The Pats gave up one sack in the AFCCG, against the 3rd best rushing attack in the league, while the Giants OL gave up SEVEN (plus an amazing 20 QB hits).against the 7th best.

Well I know a Borges-like media puke would respond that “Dah. you can't compare the Pats DL with that of the Giants DL”.:rolleyes: Well I say at least in the playoffs, you CAN.. You might find it interesting to know that in 3 games the Giants “all world”, “unstoppable” DL have accumulated 9 sacks, while in just TWO games, the “4 guys who just happen to rush for the Pats”, have accumulated 8. In total D the Giants have allowed JUST 4 yds less per game than the Pats.

There is no question that the Giants have a very good pass rush, but I'll take my chances going up against that pass rush with OUR OL, which did a good job against one of the best pass rushing teams in the league versus a Giants OL that got Eli beaten up worse than a …...than a.....its hard to finish this simile without possibly offending SOMEBODY, so feel free to complete the thought yourselves, because I know you get the idea. ;)

Why do the experts question an OL that has gone up against 6 of the top 10 sacking teams (Eagles, Ravens, Giants, Cowboys, Miami (twice) and Denver (twice) and only allowed 13 sacks in those 8 games. That they scored over 30 points in 6 of the 8 games, and lost only one.

The Point is that the Pats have PLAYED 8 games against the best pass rushers in the league and have allowed LESS than 2 sacks per game. (in fact it would have even been better without the 4 sacks the Dolphins got in week 16 when BOTH Light and Mankins were late scratches)

Again, I'm not just being another Pats homer, I'm just wondering why these paragons of football knowledge are simply ignoring facts that are readily available to them. The real facts are that these are two teams that had pretty horrible defenses (the Pats finished 31st and the Giants 29th ) that got both healthier and better at the end of the season, and into the playoffs. Like I said, if you look at their playoff stats they are remarkable similar. In total yds a mere 4ypg separate them. In points just 2 ppg. In sacks, just 1 sack/game

Just for credibility's sake, I wouldn't mind if they said the Giants defense was better because they have had to beat the 1st, 10th, and 26th best offenses in the league(total yds), while the Pats went against the 15th an 23rd best. THAT is a legitimate point to defend that position, not the crap misinformation they are giving out. And there are others as well. Certainly enough that if I get bored enough waiting for this game to finally come about, I might to a “case for a Giants win” thread., but with legitimate and logical points. NOT the stuff I'm hearing so far from these so called experts. Maybe they are saving their best stuff for next week. At any rate, to paraphrase BB, my plea is that they “DO THEIR HOMEWORK” before putting their collective feet in Rex Ryan's mouth. ;)

…..I'll close on a more positive note: Could this week be ANY worse for the Jets and their fans. AND while I take pleasure in the agony their FO and players must be going through (except for Santonio, of course, because we all know that he doesn't give a sh!t. ;) ); I can't help but feel a “little” compassion for their fan base, who might be watch their window of opportunity close for ANOTHER 40 years. :D

This may be the rant of the year. Great Post!

Borg,
You should add an "es" to the end of your name.

I watched both games this week on the NFL Network.

These games were very similar and ended exactly the same way with a great 30+ catch and a blown coverage in the end zone.

I can't say that either team dictated anything.

The Superbowl loss was the Giants D line that dominated and Eli made some plays. (some luck and some great).

The 2011 loss was 0-0 at the half.

Turnovers were the difference.

These 2 teams are evenly matched across the board, and probably will go down to the wire again.

I can't wait!!

WE NEED TO RUN TO ESTABLISH PLAY ACTION.

Not only is the reference to Leslie Gore's hit song not so obscure, but my sister lived in the same dorm as Leslie at Sarah Lawrence College and appeared in several photos with her in a spread in Life magazine. So there! :D

OK, now I'll go back and read the comments you made about football... ;)

No Borg, what is high is your BS meter. You don't even bother to dispute a single thing I said in two rather long posts. All you did her was keep repeating the "same ole, same ole", hope that if you say it often enough you can make yourself believe it.
1)When the homer team gives up big yds with the lead...the "yards don't matter" theme is all that you hear......but.......when the homer team is playing catchup accumulating yds, these yards prove that the homer team is a real force

None of what you describe above occurred in anything I wrote. Why do you bring it up?
2)When the homer team creates turnovers, this is proof of a superior team......but.....when a homer team coughs up the ball, they simply gave it away. No credit given to the nonhomer team for creating the turnover
Again you are tilting at windmills that don't exist. Some would call it deflecting. I'd rather think its because you don't know what you are talking about, or you are trying SO hard to be the next DI, (who would at least use legitimate positions to make his contrarian views known), that you can't address the MANY points I brought up
3) Has there ever been a homer thread where the term "questionable call" doesn't get attached after a loss.
Well this point I can agree with you. I only mentioned the questionable PI in the first Giant game, not to argue that it shouldn't have been called, but to point out that it just as easily COULD NOT have been called. These things are just too arbitrary for my taste. There was NO question about the Brown call. I just point it out as a horrible play by a bad player who was only out there because of an injury.
Sure, "handled" may be too strong a term...how about dictated. The Giants dictated how this game was played, and the Pats were in reaction mode. My memory of this game was that the Giants were the dominant team.
Well, now we come to the crux of the matter. Your opinion of the nature of the game. While I accept your inalienable right to have this opinion, NOTHING that is derived from the stats, eyeball test, or common sense would back up your OP. NOTHING! - Nor did you even attempt to provide anything to oppose what I wrote
So back to the OP......sure...I easily see why the Experts are sidling up to the Giants
Like I've several time in my posts (which you continually seem to ignore), I can easily see why the "Experts" are "sidling up to the Giants". A real good case CAN be made for that position. AGAIN, my complaint was that a lot of them were basing their positions on evidence that made no sense when you looked at them closely....and I'm NOT going to repeat them again. Go back to the original post and feel free to point out a single example of where I erred.

And PS.....why do you label someone that sees logic behind the "expert" arguement a contrarian. Is this thread only for koolaid drinkers. Lastly...."Intellectual integrity"???? I see. Any argument you make has intellectual integrity but if I use a simple fact like...the Giants coming into unbeaten Foxborough and marching out with a victory...I lack intellectual integrity. Good stuff as always.
My apologies if you are offended by my characterization. AGAIN, I have no problem with your stance that the Giants should be favored. But were the lack of intellectual integrity comes in is from your failure to deal directly with anything I said, either in the original post OR in my follow up to you.

All you did was claim the Giants "dictated" the first game, but didn't provide anything to back this claim up in your initial response, and when I called you on it and provided several pieces of evidence to back up MY position, your simply responded by essentially whining "homer, homer, homer!!!!!"

I encourage you to have a "contrarian" position. It would be pretty dull if there weren't any. However if you want to maintain some sense credibility, BACK IT UP with something....anything?.

What I find ironic is that there ARE legitimate positions you COULD take that WOULD back up your position (to some degree, anyway), but it seems you are waiting for someone else to provide them for you. Now, for the third time, borg, DO YOUR HOMEWORK! ;)

Last edited:

These are the things I love best about the homer fan base:

Ken gave you multiple specific reasons as to why that game was not a "handling" - - nor, for that matter a "dictation".

You gave piffle.

Come back with something concrete. Namecalling says more about you than the people you're addressing. Perhaps if your posts in this thread weren't based on namecalling and if you actually kept it to factual debating, MAYBE people would respect your opinion.

Until you "get game", people will continue to value what Ken wrote and look at your posts in this thread as hot air.

The Giants won the game that day. They deserved to. The neither "handled" the Patriots nor did they "dictate" the game. They were resourceful and made the big plays down the stretch. Tracey White won't be covering the receivers at the end of the Super Bowl.

Both teams were resourceful in their respective conference championship games.

This should be a great, close Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey