Welcome to PatsFans.com

What happened to in depth Training Camp Reports?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsfaninpittsburgh, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ian

Are you not paying the grunts?

We seemed to have have a critical shortage of traing camp/ practice reporting.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. TheComeback

TheComeback Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Have to agree. None of the mainstream reporters are talking about camp at all, which is disappointing. If I lived in NE, I'd probably be going to camp every day I could.

I believe Patspsycho said he'd do some reports when he gets back from vacation. Have to say I'm looking forward to it; his are more informative than even the ones Mike Reiss does.
  3. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

What happened to Mrs B? Did I miss something?

Her TC reports were always the best read of the day.
  4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

I could be mistaken, but I believe that Mrs. B still does her podcasts..
  5. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Reiss has posted this on his blog a few times lately:

6. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Part of it may be due to there being no practice on Monday. In addition I believe today's practice was the annual season ticket holder event and was closed to the general public.

Patriots Today - Wednesday nuggets on the Pats
    It's not much, but 3 and a half minutes of info is better than nothing, right?

Off-day good for everyone | Danny Picard | CSNNE

However, I do agree that after the first two days of camp there have been far fewer fan-related reports than in the past. Not sure where Mrs. B is; last I looked no reports by her over at the Planet either.

So for the time being we'll have to rely on the people that actually get paid to write.

It Is What It Is » Some quick thoughts on Patriots’ Tuesday afternoon practice

Training Camp Today: Albert Haynesworth makes progress - Extra Points - Boston.com
    Chris Gasper and Greg Bedard discuss the progress of Patriots defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth in this video, who also spoke with the media for the first time Tuesday.

The Rundown: Practice #8 - Boston.com
  7. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

A few tidbits like so and so looked solid or player x dropped a ton of passes would be sufficient :eek:

Actually interested in hearing how the RB's look and also our potential new TE Lee Smith..

I understand that there will be a few more faces at practice starting tomorrow ( Aug 4) .....

Not sure how long TC is open to the public but I will be back home Aug 12th so if there is time, I'll try to get up to Foxboro and type in a few of my thoughts/opinions.....

Im not as technically savvy as a few of the guys who report here but I think any news is welcome after this long off season :)
  8. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The media has been absolutely terrible so far. Everyone is reporting on Albert, we know he likes to smile and ram Rich Cheeseburger's face into the dirt. Give us something new.
  9. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Wonder how long he sticks on roster?

"Rich Ohrnberger had a long day in one-on-ones and in the game period. He also failed to pick up a blitz by Dane Fletcher in the team period."

Nice to see Dane causing trouble on his blitzes....
  10. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 2 / -0

#17 Jersey

Tonight's practice is closed and there was no afternoon session, so that's why there's not much from this afternoon. Honestly I'll hop in on the bandwagon of saying that media wise there's only a couple posting anything remotely interesting so far in terms of camp reports. I'm guessing that most of the better ones are so bogged down with the free agent news that it's cutting into the time they'd normally spend writing about it.

As for the fans, there have been some good ones, with our friend Erik Frenz posting a bunch on Twitter. (Erik Frenz (ErikFrenz) on Twitter) We'll just have to appeal to some of the posters in here to fill us in if they hit camp in the near future :cool:

In the meantime I'll try and compile some stuff and see what I can come up with in the next day or so based on what I've heard from others and have read, and I'll focus on some specific players.

I'm hoping to head down on an off day at work next week, so I'll try and focus on some of the guys we've been talking about here recently and keep an eye on them.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  11. PushnPencils

PushnPencils Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Big Crowd in Foxboro Tonight

"monwalker Monique Walker

by shalisemyoung

Big turnout by season ticket holders for Pats prax tonight: 18,334. Largest crowd in five years.

"I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice."

-A. Iverson
  12. PushnPencils

PushnPencils Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Big Crowd in Foxboro Tonight

shalisemyoung shalise manza young
    #Patriots practice has been over for at least 30min and @bspikes55 and @Ryan_Mallett_15 and Matthew Slater are *still* signing autographs
  13. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

Re: Big Crowd in Foxboro Tonight

Those Matt Slater autographs will fetch a tidy sum on eBay! :rolleyes: Alas, I would've been there tonight if not for working on a deadline. Was there any scrimmaging/live contact, or just drills?
  14. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Check out the links below for more info on today's practices.

Best and worst from Patriots practice | CSNNE | Tom E. Curran

It Is What It Is » Highlights from Wednesday night’s practice | weei.com | Christopher Price

[​IMG]
  15. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

16. s3antana5757

s3antana5757 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

17. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I have done them in the past but I was only able to go to the first three days so far and most were walk-throughs and shorts and shells. I gave more detail for the padded one. I will be back this weekend and possibly Fri.
  18. E1Downey

E1Downey Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read an opinion piece somewhere where the writer thought the defense had looked better than the offense thus far, making some nice plays while the offense looked a little behind. Can anyone who has been at camp confirm this thought? Or was I mislead? Nothing to worry about, I was just curious.
  19. stcjones

stcjones Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I was going to post the same question......I hope all is right with Mrs. B. I used to really enjoy reading her daily summaries of what was going on at training camp. She is a great story teller! Check in Mrs B!!!
  20. stcjones

stcjones Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Thanks......
  21. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

The NFL doesn't allow teams to practice often so there isn't as much to report
  22. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sounds good sign.

There was a rumour on profootballfantalk.com that you wanted to restructure your free contract and that Ian threatened to trade you to ganggreen for a $%(*&^ <filth>, <filth> poster and draft picks.
  23. patriot lifer

patriot lifer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And to add to the list:

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog |
  24. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -2

#91 Jersey

That exactly my thought EXACTLY- Given the new powder puff rules, what can you really see when their head gear is a baseball cap. :rolleyes: I the only reason to go to a non-padded practice is if you have a kid who needs an autograph.

I weep for the game. The sad part is that this "pussification" of the game will filter down shortly to colleges, HS, and Pop Warner shortly. But so what. Flag football is a wide open game with lots of scoring and excitement. Pretty soon all contract will be eliminated and the NFLPA will require EVERYONE to get a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season in order to keep everyone's self esteem high. :rolleyes:
  25. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I sure could use a few to hold me over until next Thursday's preseason opener.
  26. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Given all the turnover without FA or tagged or tendered players eligible to participate in practices most of the reporting would be about things you won't see starting later today and tomorrow. And the lack of meaningful two a days and the new day off rule have exacerbated that as well as attendance (except at last night's in stadium workout for season ticket holders that drew a record crowd).

I think shortening the off season was a good thing for veterans health wise, especially for teams who routinely make the playoffs. If you sign the right kind of guys who are self motivated, you will be better off in the long run. Teams who take risks on guys who aren't self motivated and need structure will suffer.

I think the TC and in season practice rules went too far. These kids come out of college pretty raw for the most part and refining their skills in shorts and tees isn't going to help them in transition. I suppose on the bright side veterans will be less inclined to sign with a guy like Herm because he ran that kind of camp for vets anyway...
  27. Criptonite

Criptonite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've seen some of training camp, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Mallett - From a draftnik's point of view, the most interesting thing has been his throwing motion. It looks like the coaches have changed it. He's always had a real high release point and now it's clearly much lower. Usually when you release high you don't throw a tight ball, but to me it always seemed like Mallett threw a fine ball, probably due to his superior arm strength. I never considered him to have a slow release either, so I'm not sure why they'd want him to keep the ball lower. In college the only problem I saw with his release was when he came under pressure. Sometimes he'd scramble or need to make a split-second decision and his fundamentals would break down, leading to erratic throws. Maybe the change has something to do with that. Regardless of what's prompted it, it looks like a major change has been made here.

Bodden and Spikes - Both have looked very impressive. They stand out immediately when the D is on the field.

Ridley - He's been pretty bad catching the ball. Lots of drops. Doesn't look quick or fast. Kind of average looking to me.

Gronk - I think he's been the most impressive guy on the offensive side of the ball. He's intense. He does a great job finding holes in the D and makes quick moves after the catch to find daylight. Looks like he's taken another step forward.

Yeatman - He was my favorite UDFA due to what I thought his potential would be at OT. I just thought he'd be a good conversion project as he's a wonderful blocker and seems to have the body to add the needed weight. But it doesn't look like that's the team's intention at all. He's only getting work at TE and they seem to really be using him as a receiver so far. He may be in competition with Lee Smith for that 3rd TE spot.
  28. markd

markd Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks to all for gathering and reporting!
  29. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I wish Mrs. B woudl do her reporting again. I know she does a podcast but she needs to know that there are people like me who have no idea how to get a podcast and are clueless as to what the podcast is.

Come on Karen, help out the lame and lazy. :cool:
  30. Haley

Haley Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.