PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Draftee Would Provide Impact This Year???

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Instead of looking at who we need, or who would be available at 21...I've been looking at rd-1 specifically as who provides impact this year? I am not saying we will pick these guys...just IMO players to pick if Belichick wants some impact this year...not a Belichick trait but he does love to go counter than what fans and other teams are thinking.

A few rules...common sense ones actually.
1- Forget the top-12 picks...we're not going there...99.9% chance we don't.
2- Assume the weirdest draft ever...any player 13th and lower is available by dropping to us.

1: Ernie Sims - my personal favorite I hope we grab. Sims gives us a dimension we have had only with Rodney at safety. I think Sims would be SS here in a year or 2. In the meantime he will immediately become our best Special Teamer which sorely needs a player like Sims, a spot pass rusher and he could play Safety with Rodney in a double safety look in the nickle or dime. Sims is a younger, faster and bigger Rodney w/o the experience...he loves to hit and hit hard. major impact pick for 2006.

3: Santonio Holmes - I doubt Belichick will pick him but this kid easily becomes the best #3 receiver in the AFC. He is ready now...more ready than he is given credit for. He has never been let loose....NEVER...so nobody has seen him dominate. He won't have to here and he can rack up 1000+ yards as a #3 here.

4 - Winston Justice - A different kind of impact here. He provides impact in that the line can then go 2 injuries and not miss a beat. 3 injuries and still be capable of providing protection...will lose a bit on run production though. We will have Light, Mankins, Kaczur and Justice as capable tackles, Mankins and Kaczur as G/OT's....I look at it as Hochstein, Justice and Gorin as backups all these guys can start in our system.

2 - DeAngelo Williams - Our weakest offensive need last year was the RED ZONE...Deangelo gives Brady 2 running options out of the back and a receiver threat out of the backfield. Williams can have a year to learn and still be a major weapon for us...he is faster and a better receiver than Faulk already.
LB's will not be able to cover him and he can make any catch. Brady did not have a dependable dump off receiver last year because they all dropped the ball too much...Deangelo will catch all they caught and at least or more than half their drops. We would have been 11-5 or 12-4 last year with him. We lost too many games last year by kicking field goals when we could have had TD's. Too much possession time lost...by being to predicatable on 3rd down or from dropped passes on 3rd down. A key factor in all our SB years was our domination of the clock and turnovers won...this solves 1 of those problems.

All the others on the board are good to great players. Who can and probably will be major players for us down the line. The LB position on the Patriots is the toughest of all to learn....so none picked would help us in a major way next year. Maroney and White while they may end up being very good are still not better this year than a healthy Corey Dillon.

Chad and Sinorice need some work but will ge excellant players. All the Db's...even Joseph, Whitner and Williams will need work in our system. Hill and Youboty will need to bulk up before they play here. I left out Mangold and Lewis because they add what we already have...so that would not lead to impact this year....but i would not complain if we drafted them either.

EDIT: I SWITCHED 2 - 3 AND 4 AFTER PROOFING MY THREAD.

Last edited:
I like Holmes but I still like Greg Jennings and think we may even trade up in the second round to ensure we get him.

Sims is interesting although as he'd be switching positions it's difficult for me to accept him having the biggest impact even with ST contributions. A WR, maybe a RT would seem to be the spots where we could upgrade and be positions where rookies could play. That's nothing against Kaczur but a top, top talent at RT could be interesting.

F.B.N. said:
Instead of looking at who we need, or who would be available at 21...I've been looking at rd-1 specifically as who provides impact this year? I am not saying we will pick these guys...just IMO players to pick if Belichick wants some impact this year...not a Belichick trait but he does love to go counter than what fans and other teams are thinking.

A few rules...common sense ones actually.
1- Forget the top-12 picks...we're not going there...99.9% chance we don't.
2- Assume the weirdest draft ever...any player 13th and lower is available by dropping to us.

1: Ernie Sims - my personal favorite I hope we grab. Sims gives us a dimension we have had only with Rodney at safety. I think Sims would be SS here in a year or 2. In the meantime he will immediately become our best Special Teamer which sorely needs a player like Sims, a spot pass rusher and he could play Safety with Rodney in a double safety look in the nickle or dime. Sims is a younger, faster and bigger Rodney w/o the experience...he loves to hit and hit hard. major impact pick for 2006.

3: Santonio Holmes - I doubt Belichick will pick him but this kid easily becomes the best #3 receiver in the AFC. He is ready now...more ready than he is given credit for. He has never been let loose....NEVER...so nobody has seen him dominate. He won't have to here and he can rack up 1000+ yards as a #3 here.

4 - Winston Justice - A different kind of impact here. He provides impact in that the line can then go 2 injuries and not miss a beat. 3 injuries and still be capable of providing protection...will lose a bit on run production though. We will have Light, Mankins, Kaczur and Justice as capable tackles, Mankins and Kaczur as G/OT's....I look at it as Hochstein, Justice and Gorin as backups all these guys can start in our system.

2 - DeAngelo Williams - Our weakest offensive need last year was the RED ZONE...Deangelo gives Brady 2 running options out of the back and a receiver threat out of the backfield. Williams can have a year to learn and still be a major weapon for us...he is faster and a better receiver than Faulk already.
LB's will not be able to cover him and he can make any catch. Brady did not have a dependable dump off receiver last year because they all dropped the ball too much...Deangelo will catch all they caught and at least or more than half their drops. We would have been 11-5 or 12-4 last year with him. We lost too many games last year by kicking field goals when we could have had TD's. Too much possession time lost...by being to predicatable on 3rd down or from dropped passes on 3rd down. A key factor in all our SB years was our domination of the clock and turnovers won...this solves 1 of those problems.

All the others on the board are good to great players. Who can and probably will be major players for us down the line. The LB position on the Patriots is the toughest of all to learn....so none picked would help us in a major way next year. Maroney and White while they may end up being very good are still not better this year than a healthy Corey Dillon.

Chad and Sinorice need some work but will ge excellant players. All the Db's...even Joseph, Whitner and Williams will need work in our system. Hill and Youboty will need to bulk up before they play here. I left out Mangold and Lewis because they add what we already have...so that would not lead to impact this year....but i would not complain if we drafted them either.

EDIT: I SWITCHED 2 - 3 AND 4 AFTER PROOFING MY THREAD.
I must say that I'm really down on Holmes after numberous publications have callec him a Terry Glenn clone- both on and of the field. I lived through that once...

BelichickFan said:
I like Holmes but I still like Greg Jennings and think we may even trade up in the second round to ensure we get him.

Sims is interesting although as he'd be switching positions it's difficult for me to accept him having the biggest impact even with ST contributions. A WR, maybe a RT would seem to be the spots where we could upgrade and be positions where rookies could play. That's nothing against Kaczur but a top, top talent at RT could be interesting.
BFan,
apparently the cat is out of the bag and Jennings may now be the #3 receiver on the board, ahead of Sinorice Moss, according to PFWeekly, and will likely be gone in the early 2nd. :(

PonyExpress said:
BFan,
apparently the cat is out of the bag and Jennings may now be the #3 receiver on the board, ahead of Sinorice Moss, according to PFWeekly, and will likely be gone in the early 2nd. :(
Yeah, I saw their new rankings with GJ as a high #2. Which is why I'm now talking about trading up for him as opposed to my old plan of "reaching" for him with our #2.

BelichickFan said:

I love Jennings and would be very happy if he was the only WR we pick. But, he needs to get stronger and so I don't see him being anymore than a 20 catch receiver this year.

Belichick requires his WR's to block...on of the reasons Andre Davis was let go...can jennings block? If not...he doesn't get picked by Bill.

PonyExpress said:
BFan,

Chad Jackson and Moss need work...if they picked by a good team that can wait they will flourish eventually. If they get picked by a lousy team...it may be over for them real early because they will get hammered this year.

F.B.N. said:
Belichick requires his WR's to block...on of the reasons Andre Davis was let go...can jennings block? If not...he doesn't get picked by Bill.
You're right, in my mind I want two Branches out there to get the speed and quickness but I bet Belichick would be fine with Branch, Caldwell and Avant with Avant only costing them, most likely, a #4.

Honestly, I don't know what I want. A few weeks ago I was locked in at LB. Now Holmes interests me, a high upside CB or S does, as does a RT or even a long term RB.

BelichickFan said:
You're right, in my mind I want two Branches out there to get the speed and quickness but I bet Belichick would be fine with Branch, Caldwell and Avant with Avant only costing them, most likely, a #4.

Honestly, I don't know what I want. A few weeks ago I was locked in at LB. Now Holmes interests me, a high upside CB or S does, as does a RT or even a long term RB.

Is there a receiver with more guts and toughness in this draft than Avant? The hits he took... the way Henne just lay the poor kid out to dry over the middle... and he made play after play and took hit after hit. What a great college receiver. I liked him better than his pretty boy counterpart Edwards anyway. If he has the mental ability to learn the Pats scheme (I'm not sure what his learning ability is) he will be a great addition. There's one thing he'll never lack- guts.

PonyExpress said:
Is there a receiver with more guts and toughness in this draft than Avant? The hits he took... the way Henne just lay the poor kid out to dry over the middle... and he made play after play and took hit after hit. What a great college receiver. I liked him better than his pretty boy counterpart Edwards anyway. If he has the mental ability to learn the Pats scheme (I'm not sure what his learning ability is) he will be a great addition. There's one thing he'll never lack- guts.
I also like that he and Harrison know each other, there can't be a better guy to know in the NFL than Rodney. I don't know how they know each other but I love that story about how Harrison just called him up once and said "I just did 100 situps . . . what are you doing ?" :rocker:

PonyExpress said:

I have Avant in my mock ...Long term ... Avant is a Patriot type of receiver.

I would not mind Holmes at all, but I am always cautious of round 1 WRs, who seem to have the highest bust ratio, or at least longest time to develop.

He wasnt in an offense too interested in throwing the ball, and didnt have a good passing QB to get it to him. He made a ton of big plays.

Personally, I think that we can go so many ways with this pick that I will be shocked if it doesnt turn out to be a star. The Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Watson, Graham, and Mankins picks have worked out very well for us. I would expect whoever we take to have as much and as immediate an impact as the average of that group.

AndyJohnson said:
Personally, I think that we can go so many ways with this pick that I will be shocked if it doesnt turn out to be a star.
That's my feeling too. We have a lot of perceived needs but I think they're easily filled and this is a BPA year where Belichick will pluck a guy he can make a star in his system.

BelichickFan said:
That's my feeling too. We have a lot of perceived needs but I think they're easily filled and this is a BPA year where Belichick will pluck a guy he can make a star in his system.

Thus...the two-fold meaning of the thread. Belichick could care less if he has a glaring need this year...and if he does well then that's what trades and FA's are for. Though I still would go nuts if he picked Sims...deep down, I want a player in Andy's list and that's why I am fairly certain Belichick will grab Justice or Mercedes Lewis with an outside shot of Mangold or Eric Winston.

Last edited:
F.B.N. said:
Thus...the two-fold meaning of the thread. Belichick could care less if he has a glaring need this year...and if he does well then that's what trades and FA's are for. Though I still would go nuts if he picked Sims...deep down, I want a player in Andy's list and that's why I am fairly certain Belichick will grab Justice or Mercedes Lewis with an outside shot of Mangold or Davin Joseph.

I would take Jon Alston of Stanford before I took Sims. Alston is faster, quicker, smarter, a better pass rusher, and has no history of concussions. The Sims fascination is truly a headscratcher.

F.B.N. said:
I want a player in Andy's list
Where is Andy's list ? Did I miss it ?

I am going with a sleeeeper!

I don't have alot to say, other than this guy wil be a huge NFL star for someone. He is the next Tom Brady sleeper picks for the pats. JUSTIN HUGGARD, LB from VMI! This guy has rediculous heart. I was at a VMI game this year, he hit an opponent so hard that it sounded like someone squeezing a plastic soda bottle. BAM!! He is a beast!

1stand10 said:
I don't have alot to say, other than this guy wil be a huge NFL star for someone. He is the next Tom Brady sleeper picks for the pats. JUSTIN HUGGARD, LB from VMI! This guy has rediculous heart. I was at a VMI game this year, he hit an opponent so hard that it sounded like someone squeezing a plastic soda bottle. BAM!! He is a beast!
The Pats actually sent someone down there to scout him. The Colts did too...

Immediate Impact Players (In my mind)....

Chad Greenway, Bobby Carpenter, Eric Winston, Jimmy Williams, Santonio Holmes, Chad Jackson,

Best long term players.....

Manny Lawson, Antonio Cromartie, Jeff Webb, Todd Watkins, Leon Williams, Leonard Pope, Thomas Howard

I remember Belichick saying that he would take a chance on greatness....Cromartie at 21 baby!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe