PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do the Patriots do with their cap space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So the Patriots are now past the trade deadline and sitting on about 8 million in cap space.

Obviously some of it will be pushed into next year but I would think they are going to look to spend some of it this year. This week would be a good time to get some moves in order. I am mostly talking about maybe signing Revis and/or McCourty long term.

Now during the bye would be a good time to try to get those things done after having got to see if for a half season.

So the Patriots are now past the trade deadline and sitting on about 8 million in cap space.

Obviously some of it will be pushed into next year but I would think they are going to look to spend some of it this year. This week would be a good time to get some moves in order. I am mostly talking about maybe signing Revis and/or McCourty long term.

Now during the bye would be a good time to try to get those things done after having got to see if for a half season.

I would consider contract extension to be pushing it to next year.
Since we can use it now, or push to next year, its really irrelevant.
We will have a big chunk of NLTBEs that will hit next year as well.

McCourty extension.

Is there a distinction between doing something with the space now and doing it at the end of the year?

Revis and McCourty.

We're definitely going to want Revis back so we can repeat in 2015.

Jason Pierre-Paul and Chandler Jones as the bookends would be pretty sweet…

Jason Pierre-Paul and Chandler Jones as the bookends would be pretty sweet…

JPP in 2014 is not JPP in 2011. Hes been hurt these last couple of years....

According to Jeff Howe Revis is not interested in doing an extension in 2014.

JPP in 2014 is not JPP in 2011. Hes been hurt these last couple of years....
I still like his upside he is still young and talented. I don't think he will ever be as effective as he was in 2011 because he will not have the matchup opportunities but I do think he can produce at a high level and most important be a presence that has to be planned for.

Is there a distinction between doing something with the space now and doing it at the end of the year?

The treatment of a player's salary that is increased as part of an extension.

Before yesterday, a salary increase would increase the player's salary.
Starting today a salary increase would be treated as a signing bonus.

Example. Revis' 2014 salary is $1,500,000

If he were extended through the 2017 season, a salary increase would be prorated over the 2014/2015/2016/2017 seasons

Revis and McCourty.

We're definitely going to want Revis back so we can repeat in 2015.
I'm not sold on them bring Revis back yet. It seems likely but it is not a given.

The Patriots will lose $1,116,250 in cap space as Wilfork, Amendola, Chung, Browner and Hoomanawanui play in more games in 2014 than they did in 2013.

I still like his upside he is still young and talented. I don't think he will ever be as effective as he was in 2011 because he will not have the matchup opportunities but I do think he can produce at a high level and most important be a presence that has to be planned for.

I agree. When on he is a force. However because of his spotty production these past couple of years I don't think he'll get a monster pay-day. Maybe a more incentive-laden deal??

I agree. When on he is a force. However because of his spotty production these past couple of years I don't think he'll get a monster pay-day. Maybe a more incentive-laden deal??
Yeah I'm not sure what the market will bring for him (if he hits it) but he is the type of player that Belichick will keep his eye on because he could fall through the cracks behind players like Justin Houston, Cliff Avril, etc.

Re-Sign REVIS.

Nobody is talking about how well he played on Sunday. They made 2-3 catches on him in one of the first drives of the game, and then you never saw or heard Revis name for the rest of the day. I think he only gave up 55 yards or something like that…. against a very good offense.

Re-Sign REVIS.

Nobody is talking about how well he played on Sunday. They made 2-3 catches on him in one of the first drives of the game, and then you never saw or heard Revis name for the rest of the day. I think he only gave up 55 yards or something like that…. against a very good offense.

Yup. He was totally shut down. Princess Peyton wasn't even looking in his direction after the first few drives.
He didn't want to risk the pick 6

If I remember correctly our resident capologist, Miguel, keeps chiming in on various LTBE incentives that these guys are earning... seem to remember recently some commentary about Dennard getting a boost due to number of games played...

Besides the 46-man active roster bonuses already mentioned the Patriots have to account for the following incentives

Amount Event Likelihood
200,000 Ninkovich making the Pro Bowl Unlikely
250,000 Vollmer making the Pro Bowl Unlikely
1,250,000 Browner has playing-time incentives - level of which is unknown Unlikely
2,000,000 Vollmer exceeding 90% playing time Probable
2,000,000 Wilfork exceeding 70% playing time Probable
500,000 Wilfork exceeding 70% playing time and Patriots making to the divisional round Possible
500,000 Wilfork exceeding 70% playing time and Patriots finishing in Top 10 in Points allowed Possible

500,000 Edelman has four different ways to earn this incentive.
1.) 1,057 receiving yards
2.) 70 receptions plus seven TDs
3.) 80 receptions plus 13 wins
4.) 80 receptions plus Super Bowl appearance" Probable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back