PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What did the NFLN gain from giving away the game for FREE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
what did the NFLN gain from letting NBC and CBS show the game for free?

why not charge them money?

What the hell is the point? I know it's not so everyone can hear how much Kermit the Frog sucks at commentating.

They'll be advertising and branding the hell out of their own network. And they further made the cable companies that don't carry them on their basic tier look bad while they look like the good guys offering up this historic game (which 90% of the audience will be bored by the 2nd quarter) to the people.

What the hell is the point? I know it's not so everyone can hear how much Kermit the Frog sucks at commentating.

Hmm, let's see.

Maybe, uh, the fact that millions of NFL fans will be pissed they can't watch the game?

They guaranteed that for this game the NFL will have an audience that will number in the tens of millions instead of a few million.

They get to have a free preview on Time Warner and all the other cable companies without any concessions to the cable companies.

They have just gained the upper ground in the battle with the cable companies. They are now looking less greedy and on the side of the fans. Smart PR move by Goodell.

Hmm, let's see.

Maybe, uh, the fact that millions of NFL fans will be pissed they can't watch the game?

hmmm lets see.....

they could have charged them and accomplished the same goal.

And im pretty positive that their goal was not to make pissed off people feel better... it is to make money.

Hmm, let's see.

people can't watch games all the time because of location.

if someone wants something bad enough they should ante up.

the question is...will there be a john kerry sighting at the game?

They guaranteed that for this game the NFL will have an audience that will number in the tens of millions instead of a few million.

it should, there are no more channels left to watch anything except the pats.

bryant gumble doesn't really endorse the network and make people want to buy it. hopefully marshall won't be in the booth either

In football terms this is like a 70yrd Punt for NFL NW but with Mumbles calling the game its like 55yrd return.:eek: :D

what makes you guys think that this is FREE?!?!? the commercials are gonna cost a helluva lot of money to purchase, and the nfl is not letting the networks keep all the money! the more networks this game is on, the more money the nfl makes. granted there are a few more plus issues, but as for money, they are gonna cash in bigtime

Let's not forget the gear this game will probably sell, and the NFL gets a piece of all that action as well.

They have just gained the upper ground in the battle with the cable companies. They are now looking less greedy and on the side of the fans. Smart PR move by Goodell.

Umm..... no. They blinked.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be so awesome if Madden and Michaels had their production crew down there and could commentate on NBC? Only the absolute drunkest of society would stay tuned in to Gumbel's broadcast.

Its called.....Exposure. The NFL is taking advantage of an opportunity to put their yet to be fully established product on full display for potential consumers to see while looking like good guys doing it.;)

By the way.....Good Luck Tonight!

Last edited:
I am not sure the NFL had a choice, the NFL's contracts with the Networks guarantees certain exclusive rights concerning the Broadcasts of all NFL games by NFL Conference, AFC and NFC and then spells out Cross Conference rights as well. I might add those rights were purchased, with Billions of dollars over the life of the agreement.

The NFL can not come back now and say oh by the way we are going to charge you an additional fee to show this game Saturday night because all over the air rights have already been paid for by the Networks in question.

If an NFL game goes over the air ie on a network other then NFLN then the appropriate broadcast company, NBC, CBS, FOX or ESPN already has paid for and owns the broadcast rights to its broadcast whether they air it.

The inter conference games broadcast rights, NFC versus AFC games, are specifically spelled out in the agreement and because this game is a schedule hybrid, so to speak,as it is not being played at a broadcasters prescheduled time , the NFL had to allow both Networks to broadcast it together in order to avoid lawsuits for breach of contract.

So all the NFL gets in return is goodwill from the fans, a bunch of pissed off advertising purchasers on NFLN and an unhappy satellite network provider partner.

They'll be advertising and branding the hell out of their own network. And they further made the cable companies that don't carry them on their basic tier look bad while they look like the good guys offering up this historic game (which 90% of the audience will be bored by the 2nd quarter) to the people.

Ding, ding, ding........ There will be a 3.5 hr infomercial for the NFLN running concurrently with game, to a market of MILLIONS of potental customers. They may screw it up by having mumbles call the game, but the potential audience will be there.

hmmm lets see.....

they could have charged them and accomplished the same goal.

And what would that accomplish?

The salary cap has grown like crazy for really one reason. Billion-dollar TV contracts. Those aren't things you upset.

it should, there are no more channels left to watch anything except the pats.

bryant gumble doesn't really endorse the network and make people want to buy it. hopefully marshall won't be in the booth either

I agree about Gumbal, but the many more casual fans tuning in to see what the hoopla is all about may find his metro-sexual persona appealing.

And what would that accomplish?

The salary cap has grown like crazy for really one reason. Billion-dollar TV contracts. Those aren't things you upset.

Making money would accomplish an "increase in money"

It would be exactly the same if they sold it to NBC and CBS except they would have more money.

Mo Money Mo Problems:
Now, whos hot who not
Tell me who rock who sell out in the stores
You tell me who flopped who copped the blue drop
Who jewels got robbed whos mostly goldie down
To the tube sock, the same ol pimp
Mase, you know aint nuttin change but my limp
Cant stop till I see my name on a blimp
Guarantee a million sales pullin all the love
You dont believe in harlem world nigga double up
We dont play around its a bet lay it down
Nigga didnt know me ninety-one bet they know me now
Im the young harlem nigga with the goldie sound
Cant no ph.d. niggaz hold me down, cooter
Schooled me to the game, now I know my duty
Stay humble stay low blow like hootie
True pimp niggaz spend no dough on the booty
And then ya yell there go mase there go your cutie
*singers come in over this last line*

I dont know what, they want from me
Its like the more money we come across
The more problems we see
(repeat 2x)

Verse two: puff daddy

Yeah yeah, ahaha, from the d-to-the-a-to-the-d-d-y
Know youd rather see me die than to see me fly
I call all the shots
Rip all the spots, rock all the rocks
Cop all the drops, I know you thinkin nows
When all the ballin stops, nigga never
Home gotta call me on the yacht
Ten years from now well still be on top
Yo, I thought I told you that we wont stop
Now whatcha gonna do when its cool
Bag a money much longer than yours
And a team much stronger than yours, violate me
Thisll be your day, we dont play
Mess around be d.o.a., be on your way
Cause it aint enough time here, aint enough lime here
For you to shine here, deal with many women
But treat dimes fair, and im
Bigger than the city lights down in times square
Yeah, yeah yeah

The more problems we see
(repeat 2x)

Verse three: notorious b.i.g.

Uhh, uhhh
B.i.g., p-o, p-p-a
No info, for the, dea
Federal agents mad cause Im flagrant
Tap my cell, and the phone in the basement
My team supreme, stay clean
Triple beam lyrical dream, I be that
Cat you see at all events bent
Gats in holsters girls on shoulders
Playboy, I told ya, bein mice to me
Bruise too much, I lose, too much
Step on stage the girls boo too much
I guess its cause you run with lame dudes too much
Me lose my touch, never that
If I did, aint no problem to get the gat
Where the true players at?
Throw your rollies in the sky
Wave em side to side and keep your hands high
While I give your girl the eye, player please
Lyrically, niggaz see, b.i.g.
Be flossin jig on the cover of fortune
Five double oh, heres my phone number
Your man aint got to know, I got to go
Got the flow down pizat, platinum plus
Like thizat, dangerous
On trizack, leave your ass blizzack

The more problems we see
(repeat 3x)
Whats goin on?
Whats goin on?
The more problems we se

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back