PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Branch is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame Branch at all, and I hope things work out for him with the Pats.

Way too many people are on the bash-Branch bandwagon.

He has been clutch for us time and time again, and he is a top 15 player at his position.

maverick4 said:
I don't blame Branch at all, and I hope things work out for him with the Pats.

Way too many people are on the bash-Branch bandwagon.

He has been clutch for us time and time again, and he is a top 15 player at his position.

Really? A top 15 player?

Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzedah, Hines Ward, Torry Holt, Joey Galloway, Marvin Harrison, Rod Smith, Derrick Mason, and Reggie Wayne. That's 15 players who are better than Branch. And that doesn't include Jimmy Smith, who retired.

Branch may be a top 15 #1 because guys like Houshmandzedah, Wayne, and Boldin are 1As, but he's not a top 15 receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaBruinz said:
Really? A top 15 player?

Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzedah, Hines Ward, Torry Holt, Joey Galloway, Marvin Harrison, Rod Smith, Derrick Mason, and Reggie Wayne. That's 15 players who are better than Branch. And that doesn't include Jimmy Smith, who retired.

Branch may be a top 15 #1 because guys like Houshmandzedah, Wayne, and Boldin are 1As, but he's not a top 15 receiver.

I couldn't agree more.

If I was to compare Branch to any of these guys, it might be Holt. The problem is (and the Pats "system maybe to blame <eyeroll>), is that Branch has not come close to matching Holt's numbers and more importantly has not matched his durabilty.

He's had the benefit of performing well on the big stage as well as the which is the single greatest contributor the general publics view of his value.

Long term, his size and style of play does not bode well for his long term health either.

$9,000,000.00 a year for Branch is absolutely ridiculous and getting his average salary down to what is fair, which I think is about $5.5 Mil including bonus and incentives will be impossible.

The basic unsolvable problem is Belichick doesn't think Branch is worth the money - and even if he did he wouldn't pay it to a WR.

Slagathor said:
I couldn't agree more.

If I was to compare Branch to any of these guys, it might be Holt. The problem is (and the Pats "system maybe to blame <eyeroll>), is that Branch has not come close to matching Holt's numbers and more importantly has not matched his durabilty.

No player in any position under Belichick will have great numbers.
Stop obsessing over statistics.
Branch, like Seymour, is more valuable than what his numbers suggest.

DaBruinz said:
Really? A top 15 player?

Please. Belichick wouldn't take TO, Moss, Boldin, TJ Houshdfdk, Joey Galloway, or Rod Smith over Deion Branch, so don't list them as better receivers.

Branch is one of the top 15 receivers in this league, regardless of his numbers in the Pats' numbers-deflating offense.

maverick4 said:
Branch, like Seymour, is more valuable than what his numbers suggest.
I guess we'll see. Givens actually did better with Branch out than Branch did with Givens out. Call me stupid but if Jackson could ever get healthy I think we'll be just fine with Caldwell, Brown, Jackson and Bam Bam (given our very strong TE, RB, QB).

maverick4 said:
Please. Belichick wouldn't take TO, Moss, Boldin, TJ Houshdfdk, Joey Galloway, or Rod Smith over Deion Branch, so don't list them as better receivers.

Branch is one of the top 15 receivers in this league, regardless of his numbers in the Pats' numbers-deflating offense.

Ummm...I think Belichick would take Boldin and Houshmanzillah over Branch. What's more, Moss and TO ARE lightyears better than Branch whether Belichick would take them or not.

BelichickFan said:
I guess we'll see. Givens actually did better with Branch out than Branch did with Givens out. Call me stupid but if Jackson could ever get healthy I think we'll be just fine with Caldwell, Brown, Jackson and Bam Bam (given our very strong TE, RB, QB).

Even though I support Branch on this negotiation, I agree with you completely on this BelichickFan.

The Pats will be fine with the receivers they have, especially when Big-Play Chad Jackson gets healthy.

Let's just look at the numbers impartially ok.

Wayne is making what 39M for 6 years right? That amounts to 6.5M per year. His total bonuses are 13.5M.

Branch wants 8-9M per year. Let's say he would bite at 8.5M per year. IF he wants a Wayne type contract then he would be demanding... 51M for 6 years. Ok call me crazy but how in the world does Branch deserve 12M more total dollars than Wayne and 2M more per season than Wayne when he is not even as good as Wayne? And if his per season salary demand is 9M what is his signing bonus demand - 15M, 20M?

Somebody needs to tell Branch to put down the crack pipe. If Chayut is telling him he can earn 8-9M per year... and Branch BELIEVES that. Umm no. How about no way in hell.

As far as I'm concerned this will be the last year Branch will be in Pats uniform if the indications of his financial expectactions are true.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:

Sorry as I can't agree with you on either his value to the team or his rank amongst NFL WRs.

Branch may well be the Pat's most talented receiver, but he's far from the NFL elite.

I made this point once before and simply if Moss or TO played on the Pats, they be catching 10 balls a game and racking up all pro seasons.

Brady throws to guys who are open, and the elite receivers get open regardless of how tight coverage is or physical the play of the secondary is. Branch disappears in way too many games.

Branch's supporters will tell you he wasn't integral to that game's gameplan.

HOGWASH.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:

So you're saying that a top 15 WR deserves $9 million a season? Not a top 5, not even a top 10 but a top 15 at $9 million? That is flat out absurd.

I don't care how much cap space we have, Branch is not worth more money than Owens just signed for. (3 year, $24 million)

We do spread the ball out and his value is a little higher than his numbers suggest. However, Branch is dreaming if he thinks he's worth that much money.

maverick4 said:

Yes he would. They are all better than Branch and BB would gladly trade Branch for any one of them, including the 36 year old Rod Smith. Heck, BB wanted to add Eric Moulds to this team. BB wanted Mason because Branch isn't a legit #1.

maverick4 said:

No, Branch is NOT one of the top 15 receivers and nothing you say is going to change that. Sorry. He's not. He doesn't beat the double teams regularly, he is pitiful trying to block downfield.

Slagathor said:
Word is Branch wants a deal that averages $8 million to $9 million per season and includes $12 million in bonuses.

In other words, Branch wants to get the 4th best deal EVER for a wide receiver.

Only Harrison in 2004, Moss in 2001, and Owens in 2006 have gotten better deals.

That's an "Are you kidding me???" request.

The below article did an excellent job of comparing contract details.

http://tinyurl.com/ljy9y

One contract update - Reggie Wayne will get 21.6 million in the 1st 3 years of his contract.

I am all for players getting what they are worth. But if Branch is asking for an 8 million APY contract, he is then asking for WAY MORE than he is worth.

Branch is a very good receiver and I can see where he is coming from and he has the right to ask for whatever he wants. At the same time, I think that our team can get by with or without him, so while it would be nice to have him back sooner than later, I think we will be okay if things turn out for the worse too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there was a football outsiders analysis one time that showed that Branch had the best hands among WR's in the league, or something to that effect. I know his numbers aren't spectacular, but that is more because Tom Brady spreads the ball to everyone and doesn't target any specific player. I have to respectfully disagree that players like Reggie Wayne are better than Branch. He's in a pass happy offense, and had a great year when they tightened the defensive rules, but I wouldn't do a Branch for Wayne trade straight up.

Anyway, I don't strongly disagree with any of you. I think the Pats will be fine without Branch if things don't work out. I just don't understand that immense animosity/hatred towards the guy.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
No, Branch is NOT one of the top 15 receivers and nothing you say is going to change that. Sorry. He's not. He doesn't beat the double teams regularly, he is pitiful trying to block downfield.

Branch has even admitted he disappears and cant handle double teams.

Miguel said:
I am all for players getting what they are worth. But if Branch is asking for an 8 million APY contract, he is then asking for WAY MORE than he is worth.

This is a misleading argument, because this is how negotiations work. The front office low-balls, the player asks for the sky, and an agreement is made in the middle.

Those 3 receivers (TO, Moss, etc) actually SIGNED those deals, meaning they were probably asking for much more than that, and the actual deal was less than their asking number.

It's unfair to criticize Branch for setting his price that high - that's how negotiations work.

ALSO: It seems to me that people are having a problem separating Branch from his AGENT, who would be responsible for this demand in the first place.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
I think there was a football outsiders analysis one time that showed that Branch had the best hands among WR's in the league, or something to that effect. I know his numbers aren't spectacular, but that is more because Tom Brady spreads the ball to everyone and doesn't target any specific player. I have to respectfully disagree that players like Reggie Wayne are better than Branch. Just because he's in a pass happy offense, and had a great year when they tightened the defensive rules, I wouldn't do a Branch for Wayne trade straight up.

Anyway, I don't strongly disagree with any of you. I think the Pats will be fine without Branch if things don't work out. I just don't understand that immense animosity/hatred towards the guy.

Pass happy offense? Brady led the league in yards last year and Branch couldn't break 1000 yards.

Willie55 said:
Pass happy offense? Brady led the league in yards last year and Branch couldn't break 1000 yards.

Who cares? As I said before, and you completely ignored, Tom Brady spreads the ball to something like 12 players on offense. It's not a knock on Branch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes