PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Branch is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeSixPat said:
My Prediction:

While Branch is playing the only card he has right now (a threat to hold out until Game 10) in the end there will be no contract agreement this season.

Branch will blink and end his holdout just before Game 1, pushing the holdout as far as makes logical sense (holding out into the season ultimately begins to hurt his value in terms of team attitude and his need for receptions going into free agency.)

I suppose Branch might also want to show a good faith move in the hopes the team won't franchise him next year to make a point for others approaching free agency.

By ending his holdout at the last minute however Branch will knowingly put BB in an awkward situation, with very little practice time remaining leading up to Game 1, Branch will sit out the first game as a coaches decision.

BB will make sure he expresses the principal of not playing a guy who hasn't practiced, and he may even want to make a discipline point by sitting Branch initially, but in terms of public perception, Branch can maintain he was willing and available for Game 1, perhaps even diverting some fan resentment to BB whom they know could have chosen to put Branch on the field.

Don't accuse me of not making a detailed prediction... all that just seems to play out logicially to me, especially from the Public Relations perspective both Branch, his agent, and the team will ultimately find themselves in.

Now let's see if I'm right.
What is the point of putting someoone on the field who has not practiced with the team??? I think MOST fans know that is incorrct thinking...so he shows up NO practice..he sits..case closed. He works his way into the lineup...THROUGH hard work and practice. Football is a team game..NOT golf....ANd yes, a roster space HAS to be found for him WHEN he returns or he is basically cut from the team.

Pats726 said:
What is the point of putting someoone on the field who has not practiced with the team??? I think MOST fans know that is incorrct thinking...so he shows up NO practice..he sits..case closed. He works his way into the lineup...THROUGH hard work and practice. Football is a team game..NOT golf....ANd yes, a roster space HAS to be found for him WHEN he returns or he is basically cut from the team.

As I said, I predict that Branch ends his holdout just before Game 1 knowing that BB will likely make the decision not to play him in that first game

But would some fans call for Branch to play, if not start? Probably.

He is the best WR on the team after all - and one who traditionaly doesn't play too much in the pre-season anyway - so while he might not be 100% up to speed with the offense, its not like he hasn't been trying to stay in shape (in all likelihood he has been, according to most reports)

I think among the elite players - Tom Brady, Tedy Bruschi, Richard Seymour, even Corey Dillon - if any of them had missed pre-season for various reasons and were healthy enough to play in a game, BB would think twice about benching them simply because they'd missed a lot of practice time

Branch, to be effective, simply needs to beat his man deep so I'd expect the coaches could keep his role simple and allow him to stretch the field and keep D's honest at the very least - allowing him the ability to have an impact just by being on the field.

So no, in answer to your question, its not a slam dunk that he couldn't play Game 1 in my scenario... its just that in all likelihood he wouldn't.

Miguel said:
I will just point out that the Patriots would have made Branch the 17th highest paid receiver in terms of APY while taking on Branch's 2006 injury risk and setting Branch up to be a free agent after the 2010 season. While I understand and agree with Branch for turning down the deal, the Patriots' offer was a very good one for a low-ball offer, IMO.

Branch's offer was truly asking for the sky.

I'm curious about your characterizing the Patriots offer as a very good one for a low ball offer. I know it was a while ago, but I could have sworn you did some salary analysis on Branch and pegged him in the $5M range.

I am also keeping in mind that the Pats have made earlier offers the specific's of which Chayut did not detail dating back to March of 2005 (2 years early). And from what was indicated in one of Borges early articles on the holdout the Patriots made two optional offers this spring - 5 years and 3 years in the $6M ballpark. Of course to Chayut those were apparently 6 and 4 year deals... And as for bonus money I recall you being right around that $8-9M for I assume a longer than 3 year deal. $8M bonus on a $19M 3 year deal and $19M over 3 years doesn't sound much less than what Wayne is really getting before his predictable post Marvin Harrison re-negotiation probably in year 4 of a 6 year deal. And part of what he got has to be considered a premium for signing a long term deal on the eve of FA under a new CBA or on the verge of a potential uncapped season.

Last edited:
I don't think the the Patriots and Branch are all that far apart, if he wants a a 6 year $39 million deal with 13 million guaranteed like the Clots guy, Reggie Wayne. That works out to $6.5 million a year.

He already has an offer for 3 years at $19 million or $6.33 a Year and he owes 300K in fines so forgive that, and that is $6.43 a year. Toss in a few incentives for a nother $50K a year, and its there. for a six year deal instead of a four year deal adding $4 million guaranteed doesn't seem outrageous. Especially if its structured with some option years and roster bonuses.

I think his agent is stupid, as having a shorter contract that makes him a FA in 2010 when there might not be a cap year if the CBA deal collapses is what he should want. The Pats already offered that to him, too.

But contracts are really only as good as the guaranteed money.

AzPatsFan said:
I don't think the the Patriots and Branch are all that far apart, if he wants a a 6 year $39 million deal with 13 million guaranteed like the Clots guy, Reggie Wayne. That works out to $6.5 million a year.

He already has an offer for 3 years at $19 million or $6.33 a Year and he owes 300K in fines so forgive that, and that is $6.43 a year. Toss in a few incentives for a nother $50K a year, and its there. for a six year deal instead of a four year deal adding $4 million guaranteed doesn't seem outrageous. Especially if its structured with some option years and roster bonuses.

I think his agent is stupid, as having a shorter contract that makes him a FA in 2010 when there might not be a cap year if the CBA deal collapses is what he should want. The Pats already offered that to him, too.

But contracts are really only as good as the guaranteed money.

What you are not factoring in is he wants the new deal to start this year (i.e. tear up my rookie deal), while the pats want it to start after this year (i.e. you play for your $1.045M salary plus half your bonus money this year and get the remaining $15M over the 2007-2009 seasons. That further widens the real money gap by over $5M. So for a 3 year deal that spans 4 years he really wants more than Wayne money times 3.

Slagathor said:
I think the biggest problem is fiscal irresponsibility around the rest of the league.

Branch knows if he hits the FA market in a year, someone like Houston, Detroit or New Orleans will WAY overpay him.

The Pats are privy to this also and in their case they just want to be sure that they don't get 6 games from Branch then lose him uncompensated.

both the patriots and branch know they would not "lose him uncompensated"... he is a certainty to be franchised... that's why he offered to play out the year, if they promised not to franchise him, which of course wont happen. if branch plays hardball, he plays 6 weeks for free in 06 (after fines)... then he gets tagged for 07... a lot of risk on the player in that situation... or, he signs for a 6-10M bonus (his to keep regardless of injury), and is set for life. which sounds better?

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
I'm curious about your characterizing the Patriots offer as a very good one for a low ball offer. I know it was a while ago, but I could have sworn you did some salary analysis on Branch and pegged him in the $5M range.

I am also keeping in mind that the Pats have made earlier offers the specific's of which Chayut did not detail dating back to March of 2005 (2 years early). And from what was indicated in one of Borges early articles on the holdout the Patriots made two optional offers this spring - 5 years and 3 years in the $6M ballpark. Of course to Chayut those were apparently 6 and 4 year deals... And as for bonus money I recall you being right around that $8-9M for I assume a longer than 3 year deal. $8M bonus on a $19M 3 year deal and $19M over 3 years doesn't sound much less than what Wayne is really getting before his predictable post Marvin Harrison re-negotiation probably in year 4 of a 6 year deal. And part of what he got has to be considered a premium for signing a long term deal on the eve of FA under a new CBA or on the verge of a potential uncapped season.

By low-ball offer, I meant the Patriots' first offer. 17th in APY with a year left on the contract, IMO, means that the Patriots rank Branch higher than 17th but expected him to give injury/hometown/winning discounts, the same way Brady, Vrabel and Seymour did. I do not consider what Wayne got to be a premium. IMO, he took less than what he have gotten in FA in return for staying with a consistent playoff contender and the 2nd best QB in the NFL.
I happen to agree with Branch and Chayut that a 3-year extension is a 4-year contract because the Pats will be able to amortize the 2006 signing bonus over 4 years. The Patriots' offer led itself easily to counter-offers:
Make it a 4-year extension with an increased option bonus.
Front-load more of the money.
Add reasonable incentives to the deal that pay Branch as a Top 10 receiver if he performed like one.

IMO, Wayne's deal is the ceiling for Branch. And Branch should take less since he should give the Patriots an injury discount.

The Pats are well under the cap for the forseeable future. Yes, it's true as Michael Smith so hastily observed, that Brady and the offense will continue to look potent no matter who's catching passes because of Tom's unique skillset, leadership, the O-Line, an improved running game, and the system in place. Nonetheless, we must all ask ourselves how long we can survive without a constant threat from the outside (as in not a back or TE split out).

Reche Caldwell: Not a great route-runner, stone-hands, had to be re-positione by Brady several times against Arizona

Troy Brown: Should have his number retired someday, knows the system better than anyone, a third option AT BEST at his current age

Chad Jackson: Unlimited potential...haven't seen him, not ready to step in as he's had no real practice time, time to develop a relationship with Brady, etc.

Bam Childress: By all accounts the younger Troy Brown, high praise and rising expectations, but he's still untested in the regular season and is 5 foot 8 at best

Others: Berlin, Kight, Stone, and Zuriel Smith - WHO?

IN OTHER WORDS...SHOW BRANCH THE MONEY!!!

Also, I would like to introduce the Ortiz Theory: When you have a clutch, once-in-a-generation player like David Ortiz or Tom Brady you do whatever it takes as an organization to keep that individual happy (as long as it doesen't adversely affect the team as a whole or its ability to compete long-term). If Ortiz wants the locker-room painted yellow, do it! If he loves playing with Wily Mo then Wily Mo is not to be traded. If Brady wants Branch...Brady gets Branch. Get it?

The End Zone said:
The Pats are well under the cap for the forseeable future. Yes, it's true as Michael Smith so hastily observed, that Brady and the offense will continue to look potent no matter who's catching passes because of Tom's unique skillset, leadership, the O-Line, an improved running game, and the system in place. Nonetheless, we must all ask ourselves how long we can survive without a constant threat from the outside (as in not a back or TE split out).

Reche Caldwell: Not a great route-runner, stone-hands, had to be re-positione by Brady several times against Arizona

Troy Brown: Should have his number retired someday, knows the system better than anyone, a third option AT BEST at his current age

Chad Jackson: Unlimited potential...haven't seen him, not ready to step in as he's had no real practice time, time to develop a relationship with Brady, etc.

Bam Childress: By all accounts the younger Troy Brown, high praise and rising expectations, but he's still untested in the regular season and is 5 foot 8 at best

Also, I would like to introduce the Ortiz Theory: When you have a clutch, once-in-a-generation player like David Ortiz or Tom Brady you do whatever it takes as an organization to keep that individual happy (as long as it doesen't adversely affect the team as a whole or its ability to compete long-term). If Ortiz wants the locker-room painted yellow, do it! If he loves playing with Wily Mo then Wily Mo is not to be traded. If Brady wants Branch...Brady gets Branch. Get it?

First off, quit with the comparison's to the way they run the desperate housewives set. And Ortiz wanted Pedro to stay and would (will) be lost once they do run Manny out of town. This is not the week to be pointing to the way Theo and the Trio assemble and manage a championship caliber team.

The beauty of Brady is unlike some of his closest peers he does not require elite players around him to inflate his stats. Just give him good, fundamentally sound, durable and hard wroking players like Troy. Brady will elevate and maximize their talent. If we give a middle of the road talent like Branch the elite money he wants, then what do we do when he goes down in a heep (and he will) and we have had to cut corners elsewhere in the unit to accommodate his demands?

We won when Branch was still in Louisville dreaming about being a day one draftee. And Givens was just dreaming about being drafted. We won with a career #3 as our #1 and a UDFA who used to load trucks for a living as our #2 because first round mega talent Teresa Glenn was MIA. We won with street FA's making weekly cameos. And that was before we had talented TE's and RB's like we have this season.

We're not necessarily going to win the Superbowl every year. But we will continue to contend because we are as disciplined as an organization on the business side as we are disciplined as a team on the field. The system works and it does in part because there is a broader middle class of talent and depth here than on teams who cater to individual talent at the expense of the overall team. Get it?

The End Zone said:

I don't believe the Pats should screw up the salary cap situation and start overpaying players .

While the Pats have salary cap room now, believe me, they have better uses for it than to just throw it around because they can. As has been pointed out in several areas, Seymours' bonus and new deals for players about to become free agents who want to play for the Pats will eat up a lot of space. It's not like they are not going to use the salary cap room, they are just going to use it WISELY.
Over paying players and giving in to hold outs, etc is a bad trend. If you over pay for one player, other players will expect to be overpaid too. Not giving in to greedy players may be a headache now, but it saves a lot of hassles down the road.

JoeSixPat said:
But would some fans call for Branch to play, if not start? Probably.

He is the best WR on the team after all - and one who traditionaly doesn't play too much in the pre-season anyway - so while he might not be 100% up to speed with the offense, its not like he hasn't been trying to stay in shape (in all likelihood he has been, according to most reports)

I think among the elite players - Tom Brady, Tedy Bruschi, Richard Seymour, even Corey Dillon - if any of them had missed pre-season for various reasons and were healthy enough to play in a game, BB would think twice about benching them simply because they'd missed a lot of practice time

Branch, to be effective, simply needs to beat his man deep so I'd expect the coaches could keep his role simple and allow him to stretch the field and keep D's honest at the very least - allowing him the ability to have an impact just by being on the field.

So no, in answer to your question, its not a slam dunk that he couldn't play Game 1 in my scenario... its just that in all likelihood he wouldn't.
1----Yes there may be some....but hopefully NOT many. Anyone who knows about football knows it is a team game and anyone who holdsout like that should not be playing in a game when making a 1st appearance.
2---He may be the best WR they have, but so he doesn't play in any preseason games like last year..you seem to downplay all of training camp and the films and chemistry that it takes to build a football team. However much he has kept in physical shape, I doubt it's close to game ready and he has not been in on any offensive meetings or played or practiced with his teammates.
3---I would hope that those you mentioned that missed time would be at team meetings and such and would understand what is going on in the schemes and such. Deion has not and is that far behind. I think you are totally ignoring the nuts and bolts of whatmakes football a team game. He would not bench them because they didn't practice..he might bench them if they were out of the loop on things like Deion is, of course.
4---Maybe the coacahes would, but they will put him into a game until he can get to game speed and knows what is going on. To be effective he needs to be in camp and developing chemistry with his teammates not holding out like a 2 year old.
5---I think it's a slam dunk..absolutely not. If he shows up a day before the season starts, Friday or Saturday, he's inactive if they make the roster move. (If he shows up that late, there may be a rule or a procedural situation that will negate a roster move immediately that day..in any event..the move made the day after the game.)

Willie55 said:
It has nothing to do with turning on him, but has everything to do with his outrageous demands. If he was more reasonable people would be singing a different tune.
Exactly. Branch wants to make as much as Brady and Seymour? He wants to make well over twice as much as Mike Vrabel? Or Bruschi? If these reports are true, as with guys like Molloy and Law, Branch is pricing himself right out of town. Just for the record, I felt Brady deserved a 3rd Super Bowl MVP. He threw those pinpoint passes to Branch and threw completions to other receivers, too.

Dear MoLewis:

First of all, I was in no way offering a comprehensive endorsement of the Red Sox front office. Nonetheless, I will leave that discussion for another day and return to the topic at hand.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Tom Brady and his unique ability to “elevate and maximize†the talent around him; therein lies my point exactly. If Brady and the Pats system can make Brown, Givens, and Patten look like serviceable #1, #2, and #3 respectively (while at the high-watermarks of their careers) he can most certainly make Branch an exceptional #2 / average #1 talent into something great. You’re absolutely right that it’s not about assembling overpaid free agents or former first rounders here, but you’re not accurately assessing the potential ceiling of the receivers currently on the Patriots roster.

Without Brady, Caldwell has been a poor #3 / good #4 option. With him, he becomes what, a very poor #2 / good # 3?

At this stage in his career Troy Brown is an average third receiver, and even with Brady breathing the life into him as hard as he can, he’s just not fast enough any more to be a #2 option. Think about it. Troy was never, by any account, a ‘burner’. He was a smart guy, a tough guy who relied on minimal physical gifts to accomplish great things. But at age 35 that kind of drive, commitment, and leadership (no matter how admirable) won’t get him another 45-50 receptions in a season.

Bam Childress? Even if one was so blindly optimistic to believe that the Sox were going to come back and overtake the Yanks in the East or that the war in Iraq is going along swimmingly, they could not be so naive as to conclude that Bam Childress will be an impact #2 receiver this year. I would say #3 is a stretch.

Chad Jackson has great potential, but what can we expect for a limping rookie in a Belichick system – even with Tom Brady at the helm?

The point is that when he was elevating these average players to greatness, Tom Brady had just that – AVERAGE PLAYERS to work with. The Patriots receiving corps, as it stands today without Branch, is most certainly BELOW average and for that reason alone I am concerned.

In addition, no I do not believe that the Patriots should abandon their philosophy and start overpaying for average talent. I believe that the decisions on McGinest, and Adam Vinatierri for that matter, were shrewd business decisions. I believe that you pay a player not for what they’ve done in the past, but for your evaluation of what they will accomplish in the future. This is what the Patriots did with Richard Seymour for example. They disregarded his statistical value in light of the system in which he plays, his youth, and the fact that he was entering the prime of his career. I know that Seymour is a more valuable player at his respective position, but his case is relevant nonetheless. Just as he will never record 15 sacks in a season, Branch has not and will not catch 100 balls in a year for the New England Patriots. His value then must be measured in terms of what he will bring to a team in the future, and no matter what, even if Jackson develops into the surefire #1 that the Patriots hope he will, Branch deserves to be compensated as the solid #1 he will be this coming season, and the reliable and consistent threat he will be for the next five plus years. Don’t pay him Reggie Wayne’s contract, pay him at least the minimum he deserves, however, and $1 million frankly doesn’t cut it. Give him a four year deal at $24 million or so, front-loaded with $8 million-$10 million guaranteed so it won’t break the bank, it won’t tie us down for next year’s free agent market and that of 2007. At least it would be a fair offer…

The End Zone said:
Dear MoLewis:

First of all, I was in no way offering a comprehensive endorsement of the Red Sox front office. Nonetheless, I will leave that discussion for another day and return to the topic at hand.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Tom Brady and his unique ability to “elevate and maximize†the talent around him; therein lies my point exactly. If Brady and the Pats system can make Brown, Givens, and Patten look like serviceable #1, #2, and #3 respectively (while at the high-watermarks of their careers) he can most certainly make Branch an exceptional #2 / average #1 talent into something great. You’re absolutely right that it’s not about assembling overpaid free agents or former first rounders here, but you’re not accurately assessing the potential ceiling of the receivers currently on the Patriots roster.

Without Brady, Caldwell has been a poor #3 / good #4 option. With him, he becomes what, a very poor #2 / good # 3?

At this stage in his career Troy Brown is an average third receiver, and even with Brady breathing the life into him as hard as he can, he’s just not fast enough any more to be a #2 option. Think about it. Troy was never, by any account, a ‘burner’. He was a smart guy, a tough guy who relied on minimal physical gifts to accomplish great things. But at age 35 that kind of drive, commitment, and leadership (no matter how admirable) won’t get him another 45-50 receptions in a season.

Bam Childress? Even if one was so blindly optimistic to believe that the Sox were going to come back and overtake the Yanks in the East or that the war in Iraq is going along swimmingly, they could not be so naive as to conclude that Bam Childress will be an impact #2 receiver this year. I would say #3 is a stretch.

Chad Jackson has great potential, but what can we expect for a limping rookie in a Belichick system – even with Tom Brady at the helm?

The point is that when he was elevating these average players to greatness, Tom Brady had just that – AVERAGE PLAYERS to work with. The Patriots receiving corps, as it stands today without Branch, is most certainly BELOW average and for that reason alone I am concerned.

In addition, no I do not believe that the Patriots should abandon their philosophy and start overpaying for average talent. I believe that the decisions on McGinest, and Adam Vinatierri for that matter, were shrewd business decisions. I believe that you pay a player not for what they’ve done in the past, but for your evaluation of what they will accomplish in the future. This is what the Patriots did with Richard Seymour for example. They disregarded his statistical value in light of the system in which he plays, his youth, and the fact that he was entering the prime of his career. I know that Seymour is a more valuable player at his respective position, but his case is relevant nonetheless. Just as he will never record 15 sacks in a season, Branch has not and will not catch 100 balls in a year for the New England Patriots. His value then must be measured in terms of what he will bring to a team in the future, and no matter what, even if Jackson develops into the surefire #1 that the Patriots hope he will, Branch deserves to be compensated as the solid #1 he will be this coming season, and the reliable and consistent threat he will be for the next five plus years. Don’t pay him Reggie Wayne’s contract, pay him at least the minimum he deserves, however, and $1 million frankly doesn’t cut it. Give him a four year deal at $24 million or so, front-loaded with $8 million-$10 million guaranteed so it won’t break the bank, it won’t tie us down for next year’s free agent market and that of 2007. At least it would be a fair offer…

Except...they already made him a very fair offer. They offered him 5/$30M and when that insulted him they offered 3/$19M (or call it 4/$20M+) with $4M in his hot little hand this March and more than half of the total deal ($10M+) implicitly guaranteed in his hand before the first year the extension covered was in the books, and his agents counter offer was just take the franchise tag off the table and we'll play out the unfair $1M deal free to go our own way next season. This is the same agent who *****es and moans that Deion was coerced into a 5 year rookie deal (with $3 in coersion escalators only $500K of which he performed well enough to earn) that the Patriots have been trying to extend him out of since last March (that's 2005 - immediately after his injury shortened Superbowl MVP season).

His agent doesn't want to negotiate. He wants FA Reggie Wayne money or more, or he wants out. He ain't gonna get either as a result of his holdout because he wasn't going to get either if he didn't.

The one thing Brady cannot make Branch is durable, say like Wayne is... He's not a big, strong, physical receiver - he's a finesse receiver built like a twig who in his 4th NFL season is still too easily doubled out of the mix. He looks great when everything else is hitting on all cylinders - he's scant comfort when it isn't. That is not a player you extend yourself for lest you get caught eating millions in dead cap and struggling to afford to employ others capable of filling the void when he's ineffective or out of commission. Brady can operate this offense (particularly this year with the RB and TE units BB has assembled) with a couple of quality #2 and #3 WR's. Whether or not they are presently on the roster remains to be seen. But locating them going forward if they are not will not be an impossible task. Perhaps we can use the draft picks we get for Branch to select or trade for some.

I'd love to see what Tommy could do with elite receivers. But not at the expense of not being able to run the ball or keep him upright or defend the points he puts up. The beauty of Brady is that you don't have to spend to excess on his weapons to win. And if I were going to go the high priced offense route and pay to provide him with an elite #1 WR, I'd at least spend that money on one who truly is elite in his own right - not one who needs Brady to elevate him to even the fringes of elite and then basically spits in Tom's face by holding out and making his job that much more difficult while demanding he be paid like an actual elite WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
MoLewisrocks said:
Except...they already made him a very fair offer. They offered him 5/$30M and when that insulted him they offered 3/$19M (or call it 4/$20M+) with $4M in his hot little hand this March and more than half of the total deal ($10M+) implicitly guaranteed in his hand before the first year the extension covered was in the books, and his agents counter offer was just take the franchise tag off the table and we'll play out the unfair $1M deal free to go our own way next season. This is the same agent who *****es and moans that Deion was coerced into a 5 year rookie deal (with $3 in coersion escalators only $500K of which he performed well enough to earn) that the Patriots have been trying to extend him out of since last March (that's 2005 - immediately after his injury shortened Superbowl MVP season).

The Patriots have made a fair offer to Deion Branch, especially considering he did miss seven games during the 2004 NFL season. Also, I wonder if Patriots management has future concerns about his durability (hence only a three year extension). Unfortunately, the Tennessee Titans skewed the free agent wide receiver market with the contract offered to David Givens this past off-season.

With regard to the upcoming season, the number one concern for the New England Patriots offense is missing a legitimate number one wide receiver with Deion Branch holding out and Chad Jackson missing a significant portion of training camp. I can foresee a heavy reliance on the rushing game this year for the Patriots offense to be successful.

Slagathor said:
Word is Branch wants a deal that averages $8 million to $9 million per season and includes $12 million in bonuses. There's also been talk that he wants a contract similar to the six-year, $39 million deal (including a $13.5 million bonus) the Colts' Reggie Wayne received this year just before he was to become a free agent.
A mathematical point, if I may. Why haven't I heard the comment that he wants two entirely different contracts? If he wants $8m-$9m per year, then the six-year contract he allegedly wants should be for $51m, not $39m. Surely he and his agent would notice a 12-million-dollar difference, wouldn't they?

Put another way:
$8-9m/year ........ forget it!
6 years $39m ......... OK!

The End Zone said:

I think the team has shown Branch ENOUGH money...if he is THAt greedy..trhe only thing to show HIM is the door!!! AM glad you aren't running the Patriots...there would be a long line of players lining up to get THEIR money if the Patriots FO wavers. They have been reasonable beyond anyone's means and should NOT move all that much. Maybe Brady can get less money and give it to Deion if he wants that..NOT really Brady's call; more principle involved here. Players don't run the show in Foxboro, inmates don't run the asylum..GET IT???

shakadave said:
A mathematical point, if I may. Why haven't I heard the comment that he wants two entirely different contracts? If he wants $8m-$9m per year, then the six-year contract he allegedly wants should be for $51m, not $39m. Surely he and his agent would notice a 12-million-dollar difference, wouldn't they?

Put another way:
$8-9m/year ........ forget it!
6 years $39m ......... OK!

It's been discussed but the two different figures cover two different scenarios.

He wants AT A MINIMUM what Wayne got. Forget that Wayne was a FA and had played out his entire 5 year rookie deal without holding out on his team. Branch has a year remaining on his deal - just like Seymour does - but Deion wants that remaining year torn up because if it isn't it lowers the average he earns over the life of his new deal. So in that respect he wants to be treated better than Brady and Seymour were in their negotiations. :rofl:

Or in the alternative he wants his 3 year extension to include paying him $6M+ this year too. Hence he wants $8-9M over 3 years ($24-27M as opposed to $19M) which when added to the $1M in salary he is due this season and divided by the four years he would then be here averages $6.25-6.6M per for 4 years. And he wants at least $12M of it in signing bonus or guaranteed.

The Patriots are offering to pay him $6.33M per year for 3 (or 5) years which when added to the $1M he is still due for this season averages $5M per year. That is more than his old pal David Givens got to be someone elses #1, but it's not much more. They are also prepared to give him $8M in bonus money on a deal 2 years shorter than Givens. But that money would be split into $4M this year and $4M next year - so in Deion's mind it is less (even though for a shorter deal it is more).

This is what they mean when pundits say the two sides are light years apart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey