PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are your Top 5 Patriots of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) John Hannah
2.) Brady
3.) Tippett
4.) Stanley "the steamer" Morgan
5.) T Bruschi

Starting in 1976 (when I started watching)...

I count 19 great Patriots in the time I've been watching. Guys like Tatupu, Grogan, Nelson, Bruschi and Troy Brown were glue guys rather than top performers, so if we're talking performance only...

1. Brady
2. Hannah
3. Tippett
4. Morgan
5. Haynes

with Ty Law a close 6th.

I'd say your list above matches my "favorite performers" list pretty well, although I'd replace Haynes with Bruschi because TB played his whole career here and had an incredible knack for making big plays in the biggest spots.

Those 70s teams were really loaded with a huge number of talented players. (I'm surprised "All-World" Russ Francis didn't get mentioned.) But they didn't have the heart (or maybe the coaches -- d@mn Chuck Fairbanks!) to get them over the hump, so it is hard to compare them to the SB winning teams ...

all this and no Milloy, O-T-I-S, and no Armstrong. :)

Tom Brady
John Hannah
Andre Tippett
Troy Brown
Tedy Bruschi
Mike Haynes
Ty Law
Mike Vrabel
Rodney Harrison
Jiim Nance
Ray Clayborn
Steve Nelson
Mosi Tatupu
Julius Adams
Steve Grogan
Stanley Morgan
Willie McGinest
Drew Bledsoe

clayton weishuhn
ray clayborn
hannah
grogan
brady

5.) John Hannah
4.) Richard Seymour
3.) Michael Haynes
2.) Drew Blesoe; without him, none of this happens
1.) Willie Mac; made two of the greatest all time Patriots plays. The stop on James on fourth and goal that gave the Patriots home field vs the Colts and his sack on Manning that pushed Vanderjerk out of his range in the season opener vs the same Colts.............

Based on how much fun they are to watch:

1. Moss
2. Faulk
3. Harrison
4. Dillon
5. Law

Last edited:
5.) John Hannah
4.) Richard Seymour
3.) Michael Haynes
2.) Drew Blesoe; without him, none of this happens
1.) Willie Mac; made two of the greatest all time Patriots plays. The stop on James on fourth and goal that gave the Patriots home field vs the Colts and his sack on Manning that pushed Vanderjerk out of his range in the season opener vs the same Colts.............

What does that even mean? It's simply not true. Without Tom Brady, none of this happens. Without Bill Belichick, none of this happens. Without Robert Kraft, none of this happens. You are giving Bledsoe waaaay too much credit here.

Rodney Harrison
Tom Brady
Drew Bledsoe
Troy Brown
Randy Moss

Followed closely by:
Corey Dillon
Mike Vrabel
Steve Grogan

What does that even mean? It's simply not true. Without Tom Brady, none of this happens. Without Bill Belichick, none of this happens. Without Robert Kraft, none of this happens. You are giving Bledsoe waaaay too much credit here.

Agreed. Many important people played a role in getting this fanchise out of the depths of self-imposed Victor Kiam/Sam Jankovich hell and established a winning attitude. Another person who deserves some- not all of the credit is Tuna.

1. Tom Brady
2. Tedy Bruschi
3. Andre Tippett
4. Stanley Morgan
5. Willie McGinnest

Agreed. Many important people played a role in getting this fanchise out of the depths of self-imposed Victor Kiam/Sam Jankovich hell and established a winning attitude. Another person who deserves some- not all of the credit is Tuna.

Right, I would have to say it was Parcell's arrival that did more than anything to recharge the fan base after those horrible years.

Based on the Jerseys I have in my closet:

Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Troy Brown, Drew Bledsoe, Tedy Bruschi

Based on overall History - Brady, Hannah, Gino, Bruschi, Troy Brown

1.) Brady
2.) Tippett
3.) Bledsoe
4a.) Coates
4b.) Bru
5.) T.Brown

1 Brady
2 Grogan
3 Bruschi
4 Tippet
5 Morgan

Everyone has their own criteria. Mine would stipulate no "loaner players" who came here from another team (i.e. Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Rodney Harrison); it would have to be someone clearly identified as a New England Patriot for the majority of their career (sorry, Mike Haynes, Curtis Martin, and Adam Vinatieri). It would also have to be someone with definite talent, not a fan favorite like Mosi Tatupu. And it would have to be someone who was a clear difference-maker. But it would also have to be someone with personality. Thus, my Top 5 would be:

- Tom Brady
- John Hannah
- Troy Brown
- Tedy Bruschi
- Gino Cappelletti

Honorable mentions: Steve Grogan, Stanley Morgan, Kevin Faulk, Ben Coates, Drew Bledsoe, Andre Tippett.

Brady
Bruschi
Brown
Hannah
Tippett

The list of other players vying for a spot on my list is pretty long, but I don't think anyone would question that each of these players is worthy of a Top 5 placement.

I know this has probably already done before, or maybe not, but anyhow, it's my 101st post and thought I'd start a thread for once.

My Top 5 are: (Besides Coach BB! and Mr. Kraft)

1) Rodney Harrison - I've seen the tapes and he's left his soul out there for this team.
2) Ty Law - Incredible key player.
3) Tom Brady - Monday Night bumped him up some spots.
4) Corey Dillon - I miss that 2004 season, was fun, especially how we handled Pittsburgh in the playoffs.
5) Tedy Brushi - Like Rodney, he left his mark and heart out on the field every game.

Brady,
Hannah,
Haynes,
Seymour.
Buoniconti.

Add:
Moss,
Tippett

All members or future members of Canton.

Last edited:
Right, I would have to say it was Parcell's arrival that did more than anything to recharge the fan base after those horrible years.

People forget how Raiders-esque the Pats were from 1989-1992.

1989-5-11
1990-1-15
1991-6-10
1992-2-14

Their ownership was aloof and poor. You had the Lisa Olsen thing. You had terrible players and a terrible FO. The stadium sucked and the team was not even close to being competitive. It was THE worst franchise in the NFL hands down. If I remember, section 200 seats were I think $18. You even had a few local broadcast blackouts......It was pathetic and sad.

Another guy who does deserve some credit is James Orthwein (Busch Family). He started the revitalization project known as the Patriots. He bought it from Kiam & Fran Murray for about $61m. He assumes $45m in debt. He hires Parcells. Orthwein was a PR guy so he knew how to market products. The get an exciting, young Qb in Bledsoe ansd stabilizes the franchise and makes it attractive enough for a local owner to see value and future upside- Kraft.

Knowing a move to St. Louis would push his profitibility expectations out a couple of years, he flips the team a year later to Kraft for $161m. Not bad for one years worth of paint and new shrubs............$55m profit. Brilliant.

Last edited:
It's very hard to pick just 5.

Our HOFers include (arguably in top 5 at their position of all time):
Brady
Hannah
Haynes
Tippett
Moss
(that may be it)

Other elite talents (arguably in top 20 at their position of all time):
Stanley Morgan
Richard Seymour