PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What about Sammy Morris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that?

Because Welker is awesome now, jealously of course. Thought it was pretty simple. Sammie Morris just isn't and never was that good. He's had 1 100 yard game in his career and it's against the team he now plays for.

Last edited:
Because Welker is awesome now, jealously of course. Thought it was pretty simple. Sammie Morris just isn't and never was that good. He's had 1 100 yard game in his career and it's against the team he now plays for.

He has had 4 100 yard games AS a Patriot.
Over that time Ricky Williams has had 5. Big difference huh?
One of Wiliams games was 102 one of Morris' 95.

He has had 4 100 yard games AS a Patriot.
Over that time Ricky Williams has had 5. Big difference huh?
One of Wiliams games was 102 one of Morris' 95.

OK I'm sorry I stand corrected, Sammie Morris is better than Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams.

How many runs over 40 yards does he have? I can think of 3 for RW right off the top of my head. I really can't see comparing Ricky Williams to Sammie Morris but if we must lets start with games played without gettiing injured.

Tom Brady is better than Chad Henne.
Ricky Williams is better then Sammie Morris.

Last edited:
OK I'm sorry I stand corrected, Sammie Morris is better than Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams.

How many runs over 40 yards does he have? I can think of 3 for RW right off the top of my head.
You said he had 1 100 yard game in his career. You were wrong. As a reserve he had 4.
I dont kniow what 40 yard runs have to do with that.
Morris has averaged about 4.6 ypc as a Patriot though.

You said he had 1 100 yard game in his career. You were wrong. As a reserve he had 4.
I dont kniow what 40 yard runs have to do with that.
Morris has averaged about 4.6 ypc as a Patriot though.

OK Biggest difference when teams play Miami they gameplan to stop Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams and when they play the Pats they gameplan to stop Tom Brady and the passing game. It doesn't take a very good RB to have respectable stats with the Pats. Dolphins fans have seen Morris be "the man" with no passing game ans he's pretty much ineffective.

OK Biggest difference when teams play Miami they gameplan to stop Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams and when they play the Pats they gameplan to stop Tom Brady and the passing game. It doesn't take a very good RB to have respectable stats with the Pats. Dolphins fans have seen Morris be "the man" with no passing game ans he's pretty much ineffective.
When was Sammy Morris "THE MAN" and ineffective in Miami?

I can't imagine how negative you would all be about the Pats rushing game if they had not run for 200 yards last week. Yeah, it was against the Bills. The same Bills that held the awesome Miami rushing game to 130 yards two weeks earlier.

I though bj looked better than average for the first time. If he's going to run with power and aggression, maybe he can be the lead back for a while. They have made a point that they want a short yardage guy that always goes forward. If he runs hard like last week, maybe he'll get the job done, which is consistent 3-5 yard carries.

I've seen teams move the chains with disciplined, determined guys of mediocre abilities.

I often use the example of Eddie George, a pro bowler who hardly ever averaged over 4.0.

I love Morris' contribution, but he's hit his ceiling and the more we use him, the less he's likely to be successful and the more he's likely to get hurt IMO.

When was Sammy Morris "THE MAN" and ineffective in Miami?

2004! Until he got hurt of course which was the best reason he was an ineffective featured back.

Last edited:
He was "THE MAN" in the season he carried the ball more than 20 times once?

Well first it was Travis Minor, then he got hurt, then Lamar Gordon but he got hurt and then Morris started (8 games I believe). He was the featured back in that time until he got hurt which pretty much always happens. Afterwards Miami tried guys like Leonard Henry and Brock Forsey. There may have been some other guys but I forget.

He had 18, 28, 11 (in a blowout), 16 and 7 (got hurt as he always does) and 12, 17, 9 when he returned when he was starting for Miami. He led the Dolphins in carries in all but one of those games. He was the featured guy. I've pretty much watched every Dolphins game for as long as I can remember. I know Morris isn't special, nothing like Brown and Williams they're in different leagues talent wise. Don't you think the great Bill Belechick would have recognized Morris's great talent and started him over Maroney, 34 year old Taylor or BJGE? I guarentee he would start Ricky or Ronnie over Morris.

Last edited:
Sammy Morris had games as the man when he could turn the corner.

I don't believe Sammy can turn the corner anymore.

he's a good receiver and he's not to shabby running straight ahead but I think his 100+ yard days are over. he had those games when he could make a few long runs as I said ... turning the corner.

Got it.

I posed this to my phriend who is a Fins Phan: imagine if the Dolphins kept Welker and got Brees? Wow!

Got it.

I posed this to my phriend who is a Fins Phan: imagine if the Dolphins kept Welker and got Brees? Wow!

Did he cry?

Well first it was Travis Minor, then he got hurt, then Lamar Gordon but he got hurt and then Morris started (8 games I believe). He was the featured back in that time until he got hurt which pretty much always happens. Afterwards Miami tried guys like Leonard Henry and Brock Forsey. There may have been some other guys but I forget.

He had 18, 28, 11 (in a blowout), 16 and 7 (got hurt as he always does) and 12, 17, 9 when he returned when he was starting for Miami. He led the Dolphins in carries in all but one of those games. He was the featured guy. I've pretty much watched every Dolphins game for as long as I can remember. I know Morris isn't special, nothing like Brown and Williams they're in different leagues talent wise. Don't you think the great Bill Belechick would have recognized Morris's great talent and started him over Maroney, 34 year old Taylor or BJGE? I guarentee he would start Ricky or Ronnie over Morris.
First your argument was he has 1 100 yard game in his career. Wrong.
Then your argument was he was terrible when he was "THE MAN"
Now the fact that he missed 2 games that season means he always gets hurt.
In reality your team blew that year, and Sammy Morris gaining 4 yards per carry wasn't the problem. Perhaps your QBs competing 53% of their passes, tossing 26 Ints and getting sacked 50 times behind a poor OL with bad WRs was a bit more of a problem?

Whether Morris started over someone else, or would really isnt the point.
Frankly he isnt a #1 RB. The point is that you came here to say he sucked and every point you made to back that up has been wrong.

Leonard Marshall!! yeah..or Sedrick Shaw...

First your argument was he has 1 100 yard game in his career. Wrong.
Then your argument was he was terrible when he was "THE MAN"
Now the fact that he missed 2 games that season means he always gets hurt.
In reality your team blew that year, and Sammy Morris gaining 4 yards per carry wasn't the problem. Perhaps your QBs competing 53% of their passes, tossing 26 Ints and getting sacked 50 times behind a poor OL with bad WRs was a bit more of a problem?

Whether Morris started over someone else, or would really isnt the point.
Frankly he isnt a #1 RB. The point is that you came here to say he sucked and every point you made to back that up has been wrong.

OK Fine you're right. Morris was a high effort guy who was actually a bit of a bright spot in 2004. He wasn't terrible at all, I kind of went down a rat hole there. However, the original point was whether or not it would drive Dolphins fans nuts if Welker and Morris had huge days and the Pats beat Miami on Monday night. I say if Welker has 10 catches for 200 yards yes I'm aggravated for letting the best slot WR in the game go, absolutely (even though I am a Devone Bess fan). If Morris rushed for 200 yards it wouldn't bother me because I'd still feel like the Dolphins were better off with what they have.

Basically the words, I wish we still had Samiie Morris would never come out of my mouth while I wish we still had Welker has and probably will again.

Last edited:
You wish you still had the Cobra...you know the major factor in the Phins loss to the Jets...running the wildcat and taking plays away from Henne.

You know why the Phins are almost certain to beat the Pats Monday night? Brady has a hard time even running the normal Pats offense there...it's historical...look at Cassel the year Brady went down...he buried the Phins down there...sometimes it's just like that...Miami had a 14 game streak going years back and Grogan came in as a replacement and beserked Shoes and the whole damn state...Eason always folded like a damn two year old...check it out..Miami can be tough for a lot of reasons but when the coach has Ronnie Brown throwing flutterducks out of the wild cat as Henne is tearing the Jets secondary you have to woner...what the hell are they thinking? You know, I can't say why Henne threw to Fasano at the end in triple coverage and yes Marshall was wide open but it never should have gotten to that.

I expect the Phins to win this game and rather easily because ,from experience, I expect Brady to be off once again.Just as I expect the Pats to run the Phins out of Foxboro later in the season. You gotta look at the long term trends IMO.

You wish you still had the Cobra...you know the major factor in the Phins loss to the Jets...running the wildcat and taking plays away from Henne.

You know why the Phins are almost certain to beat the Pats Monday night? Brady has a hard time even running the normal Pats offense there...it's historical...look at Cassel the year Brady went down...he buried the Phins down there...sometimes it's just like that...Miami had a 14 game streak going years back and Grogan came in as a replacement and beserked Shoes and the whole damn state...Eason always folded like a damn two year old...check it out..Miami can be tough for a lot of reasons but when the coach has Ronnie Brown throwing flutterducks out of the wild cat as Henne is tearing the Jets secondary you have to woner...what the hell are they thinking? You know, I can't say why Henne threw to Fasano at the end in triple coverage and yes Marshall was wide open but it never should have gotten to that.

I expect the Phins to win this game and rather easily because ,from experience, I expect Brady to be off once again.Just as I expect the Pats to run the Phins out of Foxboro later in the season. You gotta look at the long term trends IMO.

Cobra, that's a good one. You're right about that though and it seemed like they always ran it right after a big play. It was frustrating, I bet you want to see the Cobra early and often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe