PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What about Marquis Flowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
10 tackles, 2.5 sacks? Sure we over hype a game or two like this and Eric Lee's recent debut, but we're going to need some help even if VanNoy near 100% and Trey Flowers is all the way back

Wise seems to be putting on a little pressure too. At the minimum, Marquis could keep Roberts off the field on passing downs [I think running downs become passing downs when opponents see Roberts].

As Pitino would say, Hightower isn't coming through that door.

Any comments on M Flowers play from those who watch tape?

I don't watch tape but he's played well.

Not a superstar but a solid contributor.
Especially in passing situations

He played the role of spy very well.

As for playing the run, not so much!

10 tackles, 2.5 sacks? Sure we over hype a game or two like this and Eric Lee's recent debut, but we're going to need some help even if VanNoy near 100% and Trey Flowers is all the way back

Wise seems to be putting on a little pressure too. At the minimum, Marquis could keep Roberts off the field on passing downs [I think running downs become passing downs when opponents see Roberts].

As Pitino would say, Hightower isn't coming through that door.

Any comments on M Flowers play from those who watch tape?
I like m flowers as a sub package lb who can cover or rush effectively.
I’d like a bigger guy on early downs in the 425 base

He's athletic and fast but he gets washed out in the run way too easily and his instincts in coverage are average at best.

He's decent at cleaning up things that come his way, decent fundamentals and tackling form. But he struggles to disengage from or stand up to blocks at the POA

He's athletic and fast but he gets washed out in the run way too easily and his instincts in coverage are average at best.

He's decent at cleaning up things that come his way, decent fundamentals and tackling form. But he struggles to disengage from or stand up to blocks at the POA

Unfortunately, finding the total package is fairly rare. Not many of them around the league. I like what Flowers brings to the defense as a sub package player.

I like m flowers as a sub package lb who can cover or rush effectively.
I’d like a bigger guy on early downs in the 425 base

Hopefully Van Noy is healthy. I don't think Harris or Roberts are the answer for a "bigger" [Roberts is run only, but not big] linebacker. We'll need to patch as best we can if we haven't added another LB yet. Maybe a puzzle piece who can play a little out of his role sometimes given the situation.

I like Harris, but he hasn't seemed to take over that role.

Hopefully Van Noy is healthy. I don't think Harris or Roberts are the answer for a "bigger" [Roberts is run only, but not big] linebacker. We'll need to patch as best we can if we haven't added another LB yet. Maybe a puzzle piece who can play a little out of his role sometimes given the situation.

I like Harris, but he hasn't seemed to take over that role.
Yeah van noy with Harris or Roberts on early down and flowers on 2nd and long 3rd or passing situations.

Yeah van noy with Harris or Roberts on early down and flowers on 2nd and long 3rd or passing situations.

I'd like to see more of Harris that Roberts,but I don't think that has been the case. I like Roberts effort, but he's very limited IMO.

I'd like to see more of Harris that Roberts,but I don't think that has been the case. I like Roberts effort, but he's very limited IMO.
I think Harris has a very empty tank.

None of them excite. But Lee, M. Flowers, and Roberts have all had some good stretches and with a healthy KVN I think we have something to work with.

Wise and Trey Flowers are really the key duo in our front seven though.

For whatever reason, MP seems to have much preferred Roberts over Harris in most situations and gameplans.

The thing for me is just trying to remember that, with all the front seven guys who are missing from last season - plus the injuries to Van Noy and Trey Flowers - new guys like M. Flowers and Lee, and even 2nd-year Roberts, are having to cover roles that may be a bit beyond their current development and less than ideal for their current skill sets. They're all being stretched a bit right now - perhaps a good thing in the long run, in terms of accelerating their development, but not so good in the moment for overall defensive effectiveness.

Once Van Noy is back, it may be possible for MP to scale back the breadth of responsibilities for these three, and the unit as a whole may become more effective. Hopefully, it's jut good enough.

Also, Roberts and Lee are 23; M. Flowers is 25. So, there's still at least some potential for them to develop further by next season.

Overall, the average age (and experience level) of the players who've been getting the most snaps this year in the front seven is younger than it was last season, perhaps by more than we realize.

Seems like a solid role player for us. Not a star, but a contributor. Hopefully he keeps improving

He played the role of spy very well.

As for playing the run, not so much!
He did not embarrass himself.

He's 250 lbs so he's not a small fry

This team badly needed speed at LB.

They get it with him.

Not sure how much he'll play in the playoffs but it's good to know he can play on D.

For whatever reason, MP seems to have much preferred Roberts over Harris in most situations and gameplans.

The thing for me is just trying to remember that, with all the front seven guys who are missing from last season - plus the injuries to Van Noy and Trey Flowers - new guys like M. Flowers and Lee, and even 2nd-year Roberts, are having to cover roles that may be a bit beyond their current development and less than ideal for their current skill sets. They're all being stretched a bit right now - perhaps a good thing in the long run, in terms of accelerating their development, but not so good in the moment for overall defensive effectiveness.

Once Van Noy is back, it may be possible for MP to scale back the breadth of responsibilities for these three, and the unit as a whole may become more effective. Hopefully, it's jut good enough.

Also, Roberts and Lee are 23; M. Flowers is 25. So, there's still at least some potential for them to develop further by next season.

Overall, the average age (and experience level) of the players who've been getting the most snaps this year in the front seven is younger than it was last season, perhaps by more than we realize.
Once KVN is deemed 100% all the LBs who played yesterday will see their hypothetical playoff snaps cut in 1/2.

Perhaps. I think the Marquis earned more snaps with his rapid development. should be interesting.
I've learned not to get over-excited about coming out parties on this team but I loved what Flowers did on Sunday. He's been getting a lot of snaps this month.

Lots of speed. Good tackler. Not sure how aware he is in the passing game in coverage or his stoutness vs the run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday