PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K. What depth do you see at safety that I am missing? Cousins are we thin at safety if Wilson is down, or is Cousin Jack correct with his assumptions about my thought process?

It's arguable the Patriots have THE best safety depth in the NFL. Harrison, Geno, Sanders, Willie Andrews actually looks like he can play, and #1 draft pick Brandon Meriweather. Wat exactly do you want, all-pros as back-ups? You can't seriously think we're "thin" at safety. Talk to me about LB depth, maybe I'll go with you. Corner? Eh. Maybe. But I refuse to believe anyone on this board is so head-in-the-sand that they think SAFETY depth is an issue.

No. No. No. W R O N G. God love ya, but NO.

Last edited:
Cousin Jack,
Thank you for your comments and I respect what you say. I have never said I was as knowledgable as you are, nor do I pretend to be. It's just an observation by a differing source. Don't take this stuff personal. It's not yours or my livelyhood. Sorry my thought process is incomprehensible to you as well. I believe you are very smart. I have never questioned that. You are more than welcome to shout me down.
O.K. a prediction now. Look at the replay on the Colbert TD. I think Wilson is hurt pretty good. In fact in his last contract year, if it is another hamstring, that could have been his last Patriots play. I hope it's not bad, but I think it looked that way. I think they bring back Hawkins if they put Wilson on IR. James goes back to ST and Merriweather comes in as the #3 safety left or right (FS or SS) after his nickel gig.

O.K. What depth do you see at safety that I am missing? Cousins are we thin at safety if Wilson is down, or is Cousin Jack correct with his assumptions about my thought process?
Question: Would any of you out there feel secure in a Playoff game against the Colts or the Bolts at the end of this year with #36 starting? I respect all of your input.
Jack, you are a very good contributor and major player of this site. I hope I am dead wrong about Mr. Sanders, but so far I beg to differ with you, that's all. No blood is being shed or families harmed.
DW Toys

DW Toys,

I don't get the impression that you're a sensitive plant and that you cry yourself to sleep after being criticized but, if it helps, I enjoy reading your posts and appreciate your contribution to the board. You have strong opinions and express them in an unusual and to me amusing way -- so far, with some evidence to back them up. (If you start to be a broken record, I'll feel free to change my mind.)

Cousins,
Much better blocking all around. TB was good. Caldwell played decent. Of the kids, #51 still looks like a keeper. #31 did allright too. #49 was so-so with an INT. Of the street FA's, I believe #82 has made the team. Much better blocker than Watson and did you notice they split Ben out tonite? Great defense but!!!..........On the TD play does anyone notice Wilson pulls up lame at the five and to all you James Sanders hard cores out there, I believe he palyed himself right to third team. Has he covered anyone since he has been drafted? He is a major liability. He is awful unless you watched a different game. All you #36 fans will question my mental status but cousins, it is what it is. My opinion means absolutely nothing so don't wish me to the woodshed. #36 gave a great immitation on what to do on your back yard Slip and Slide as the "highly touted speed merchant" Kerry Colbert blows right by him!!! Still won't forgive the Colts game winning TD on him. He gave up! Little Willie #23 looked much better than Sanders and Wilson will be wearing red this week.
They need safety depth badly. I hope Hawkins is on speed dial.

Concerned about the kicker though. No excuses as he is not doing well this preseason. The punter relaxed as well with no competition. Fair to what was that, only.
Keep those cards and letter coming about James Sanders especially all his relatives that have been blasting ol' DW Toys. I am sorry if I have made you evil but it's just a comment from a observer who does think we have a problem here. Alas, they don't pay me for my opinion.
DW Toys

Huh?

Main Safeties:
Harrison, Wilson, Meriweather, Sanders.

potential backups at the position:
Andrews, Mitchell, Gay, Wesley

The Patriots need depth at Safety like they need depth on the D-Line. Seriously, where do you get this stuff?

Cousin,
I hope cause so he looked good tonite. He was definately hobbling hard at about the five on the TD play if you look at the replay. Did not play after that that I saw although many did not.
DW Toys

Wilson was in on ST for the extra point attempt just after the TD. I don't think he was injured.

Cousins,
Much better blocking all around. TB was good. Caldwell played decent. Of the kids, #51 still looks like a keeper. #31 did allright too. #49 was so-so with an INT. Of the street FA's, I believe #82 has made the team. Much better blocker than Watson and did you notice they split Ben out tonite? Great defense but!!!..........On the TD play does anyone notice Wilson pulls up lame at the five and to all you James Sanders hard cores out there, I believe he palyed himself right to third team. Has he covered anyone since he has been drafted? He is a major liability. He is awful unless you watched a different game. All you #36 fans will question my mental status but cousins, it is what it is. My opinion means absolutely nothing so don't wish me to the woodshed. #36 gave a great immitation on what to do on your back yard Slip and Slide as the "highly touted speed merchant" Kerry Colbert blows right by him!!! Still won't forgive the Colts game winning TD on him. He gave up! Little Willie #23 looked much better than Sanders and Wilson will be wearing red this week.

Concerned about the kicker though. No excuses as he is not doing well this preseason. The punter relaxed as well with no competition. Fair to what was that, only.
Keep those cards and letter coming about James Sanders especially all his relatives that have been blasting ol' DW Toys. I am sorry if I have made you evil but it's just a comment from a observer who does think we have a problem here. Alas, they don't pay me for my opinion.
DW Toys

I believe that was Richardson (#35), not Sanders (#36), who slipped while Colbert blew by him. So whatever gripes you have about Sanders, they are your gripes and have clouded your judgment.

This game reminded more of a scrimmage than a pre season game for the pats, they opened with 9 running plays... they wanted to work on this until they got it right..When they felt comfortable with the running plays, then started calling diverse plays. Thought most played well, very impressed with our O line against a good D line, thought our D played well. Good game plan and we kicked the crap out of them.

I wonder if there were O line problems for the first two games as we have just switched to Zone Blocking and it gelled for this game?? Not sure what other answer there could be, but Dante must have been proud.

I wonder if there were O line problems for the first two games as we have just switched to Zone Blocking and it gelled for this game?? Not sure what other answer there could be, but Dante must have been proud.

Some points:
1) Maroney makes a difference. Cutback running and getting to the outside. Also allows the other backs to focus on (and excel at) their roles.
2) Sticking with the run makes a difference. Pats certainly weren't dominant in the first series + next couple of plays. Just like the passing game, the running game has a rhythm and going for that early 4th down allowed the Pats to settle into that rhythm.
3) The Panthers are still figuring themselves out on defense...but this is balanced by the fact that the Pats are still working out the kinks on offense.
4) OL generally didn't get to the 2nd level as effectively as I would have liked. Maroney cleared the LOS well but was cleaned up quickly by the LBs. If the OL can get that worked out, watch for Maroney to turn those 4-7 yard carries into some big plays.

O-Line - praised all over this forum tonight. I agree for pass protecting. I had this sinking feeling, though, that we still can't run the ball that well. We did OK I guess, and it will get easier with Moss out there. Heath Evans was our only runner to reach the 4 yds/carry mark tonight, while Carolina had three do it. (I know, stats can be misleading.)
I was thinking the same thing while watching the game. The O-line seems to show more pep when they're pass blocking. We need to work on our running game for sure.

Last edited:
You must have missed him during the 3rd and 4th quarters because Mills was out there regularly as the lead blocker and he was doing a damn good job.

Help me out, wudja, Bruinz?
Divining Mills' future.
Do you think he makes the 53?

Help me out, wudja, Bruinz?
Divining Mills' future.
Do you think he makes the 53?

The 4th game will be the deciding factor. I just don't know if the Pats will keep Mills. Marcellus Rivers has proven to be a more than capable veteran with Thomas not around and I think Rivers is more well rounded (though less talented) than Thomas right now.

I think that, in all likelyhood, Mills gets cut and heads to the practice squad unless he just blows us all away during the Giants game.

Cousins,

DW Toys

DW -
Regarding the Colbert TD. The Pats were in their Dime package. Hobbs on the right side, Gay on the left. Harrison was on the TE. It was Richardson in coverage on Colbert and he was the one who fell. Sanders missed the 1st tackle on him and Wilson, late into the play from the far side, also dove at Colbert's feet and missed so I am not sure how you can say he pulled up lame. Wilson DID look to be LONG-STRIDING and kind of moving in slow motion. And it was WILSON who did the Slip and Slide move at the end of the play.

Also, I think that you downplay Colbert's abilities. He ran a 4.45 at the combine during his draft year. He was also very good through the 3 cone (4.18) and shuttle (6.7).

Over-all, though, Sanders has played extremely well. For you to say he played himself to the 3rd team does make me question whether you got your jersey numbers correct.

I have re-watched the play a few times now to get the accuracy of the jerseys and who lined up where.

Cousin Jack,
Points well taken on Colbert. I think the initial slip was Richardson. The second miss was #36 and Wilson who if you watch closely was not longstriding but almost hopping with a grimaced expression (could be the play result) but he was not right. I hope I am very wrong because he was playing well. If he reinjured his HS it will be a tough blow. Correct me if I am wrong but that was his last play of the evening.
I am still not buying into #36. He looks slow and uncomfortable out there. His cover skills are not good, do you agree with that? Do you trust him in a big game Jack?
DW Toys

Cousin Jack,
Points well taken on Colbert. I think the initial slip was Richardson. The second miss was #36 and Wilson who if you watch closely was not longstriding but almost hopping with a grimaced expression (could be the play result) but he was not right. I hope I am very wrong because he was playing well. If he reinjured his HS it will be a tough blow. Correct me if I am wrong but that was his last play of the evening.
I am still not buying into #36. He looks slow and uncomfortable out there. His cover skills are not good, do you agree with that? Do you trust him in a big game Jack?
DW Toys

Strong Safeties don't have great cover skills. Sanders is a Strong Safety.

And no, Wilson was out there for at least one more play, PAT.

As I said, Wilson looked to be long-striding, not hopping..

But, I think you need to re-watch the 2nd half of the game because Sanders was out there quite a bit. Also, you seemed to have missed the comments by BB in the last week or so where he said that Sanders had moved up to be an equal with Harrison and Wilson.

That carries a lot more weight with me, DW.

The 4th game will be the deciding factor. I just don't know if the Pats will keep Mills. Marcellus Rivers has proven to be a more than capable veteran with Thomas not around and I think Rivers is more well rounded (though less talented) than Thomas right now.

I think that, in all likelyhood, Mills gets cut and heads to the practice squad unless he just blows us all away during the Giants game.

Got it.
Thanx!

Cousin,
Doesn't what BB refers to in some cases be the play of practice and TC? If a guy understands where he is supposed to play and what the situation is, it becomes a valid reason to receive BB accolades. Your game practices and playbook knowledge weigh heavily to BB.
Jack, his play on the field has not allowed him to bear those fruits on game day. Again I admit I am predjudiced by the Playoff game where he was awful and showed no heart on the last play. I am never gonna forget that impression. That was a mortal sin. There is no excuse for that.
All I am saying is there must be a player out there that is better than he is and some one that can be counted on in the clutch. He has had his chances and failed.
Hey, I am a big Mills fan but I know he's gone because he is not playing at a high level and is injury prone. If LT was injury prone he would not be the greatest back in the game.
I like Washington, but not at the expense of some other players making the roster.
What I would love to see is another veteran pick up of the Harrison quality and give Sanders a few more years of learning. Harrison is not quite the cover guy he used to be albeit his preseason looks good. We can't have two safties that can't cover. See Indy.
I do not disagree with all you say. Sanders just disappoints me. I want him to suceed but it looks hopeless.
DW Toys

DW , you are not alone in your assessment of Sanders. I did not see the Panthers game yet but I am pretty sure he ran by a tackle or two in the Tennessee game, picking up right where he left off from the championship game.

I'm sure he's a hard worker and I believe he has managed to stay on the team for mostly this reason, and perhaps showing some flexibility, but I like my strong safeties to hit and my free safeties to cover and I don't think he does either well.

Agreed. Was Gay on Smith most of the night?

He had good position nearly everytime on his reciever - results in on offensive P.I call and hissy fit by Smith.

Yes, welcome back Blue.

I saw it the same way. Maybe he should change his name to "Glue"!

Wesley took at least one bad special teams penalty. He had another bad one last week.

FWIW, a Bears fan who stopped by here after the trade complained that Wesley was an ST penalty machine.

FWIW, a Bears fan who stopped by here after the trade complained that Wesley was an ST penalty machine.

Yes he did. And it could be what keeps Wesley from making this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News